Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine MNGT Symbol & power cutting off whilst driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Big T

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Engine MNGT Symbol & power cutting off whilst driving

I am experiencing power cut off whilst driving my Discovery 3 automatic. If you accelerate gently the car will run fine. Problems occur if you are overtaking, climbing hills, accelerating quickly, or sometimes even randomly. Other times with careful driving it will run fine for 100 miles.

I have 'solved' the problem by stopping, putting vehicle into N and then reselecting drive. I have also found that if you come out of drive whilst still in motion, pressed the brake and reselected drive it will carry on as normal.

The turbo was replaced 3 years ago by the dealer and has done 25000 miles since. It's amost like a sensor has gone, one that senses when you want extra oomph. An Engine MNGT Symbol also appears on the dash.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
 Cheers

Big T 

Post #62789926th Mar 2010 7:01 pm
Durrus

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Big T,
Did you get a resolution to this? I'm experiencing the same thing on my 2006 LR3 HSE Auto.

Regards,
Durrus
 06 Tonga Green TDV6 HSE  
Post #62912529th Mar 2010 6:02 pm
Big T

Resolution

Unfortunately nothing so far. I phoned the dealer who fitted the turbo but they said it would need a diagnostic run on it to pin point the problem but it could be the engine mngt computer (system) or it could be the turbo (oh no!). I've been having other bother like it raising suspension while stopped, suspension fault light.....all sensor driven which makes me hope that any fault is the cheaper option i.e. a mngt system. Well - I'm guessing it's cheaper than a turbo. Keep you posted if I hear owt.
 Cheers

Big T 

Post #62914429th Mar 2010 6:44 pm
Big T

Problem Solved

Changed the fuel filter and problem solved. If filter is blocked it can't supply enough fuel on demand and cuts revs to low power. Note the fuel filter is behind gearbox protective panel underneath the driver seat. Care should be taken removing x 4 pipes as they are fragile and note the correct orientation to ensure tthe new one is put on with the right pipe on the right stub. :thumbsup:
 Cheers

Big T 

Post #6331867th Apr 2010 10:55 pm
maxi01

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had same prob yesterday.Engine cut out while on motorway and limped home with engine cut out regularily.Drove fine while giving it juice but as soon as I took foot off gas she cut out.Thought i was looking at new fuel pump but to my delight solution was simple.Remove engine guard by taking off oil filler cap.Follow air intake pipe from air filter until it splits into two as in a Y shape about 18 inches from windscreen and in the middle.You will see air intake sensor (black) held down with an aluminium screw.You will need a star screwdriver to remove.Having done this give thorough cleaning and stick pin or simular into little pinhead hole (mine was blocked) and simply replace.Hey presto driving perfectly albeit only 24 hrs later with fingers crossed.
EOIN.

Post #6336939th Apr 2010 9:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >