Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

sorry chap.... 'concerned'? about what? you've had a software upgrade that reduces turbo lag and a few other issues, the trade-off for which appears to be some minor increase in diesel knock - so what? 'diesel knock' is a feature of diesel engines, in this case it was originally software engineerd out to provide a 'quiet' engine.... in the face of complaints, a software fix was produced to cure the resultant turbo lag, with a side effect of a perceived increase in engine noise...

can't see the issue here - you can't beat the physics Rolling Eyes

Post #755552nd Aug 2006 10:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Say TFC - I defy anyone to say that my engine is perceptibly noiser (your words "diesel knock") when measured by ear - it might be different with expensive sound measuring equipment, but I had the full upgrade - all software, and I cannot hear a difference. Did the TSB make mention that owners might notice a difference per chance?

BTW, I might just book a quick visit to the audiologist if needs be...
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #755953rd Aug 2006 4:19 am
10forcash

nope, there's no mention of any incease in audibility....
Didn't notice any diffrence with mine, but I tend just to drive and enjoy rather than looking (or in this case, listening) for problems, so it could be there.... guess i'll have to turn the stereo down one day eh? Wink

Post #755993rd Aug 2006 7:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
sorry chap.... 'concerned'? about what? you've had a software upgrade that reduces turbo lag and a few other issues, the trade-off for which appears to be some minor increase in diesel knock - so what? 'diesel knock' is a feature of diesel engines, in this case it was originally software engineerd out to provide a 'quiet' engine.... in the face of complaints, a software fix was produced to cure the resultant turbo lag, with a side effect of a perceived increase in engine noise...

can't see the issue here - you can't beat the physics Rolling Eyes

If you read my post you will notice I had both the upgrade and Full service. I have no idea which has caused the problem or what the probem is im merely stating a fact and that I will get the dealer to investigate. Given the number of problems I have and continue to have with this vehicle......pulling to one side, wheel vibration (with tyres balanced), etc.etc etc. if something suddenly changes then I am going to have it looked at. Im not LOOKING for problems, the bl**dly vehicle just keeps failing. Ive had to have LRA out 5 times in 18 months Rolling Eyes
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #756213rd Aug 2006 11:11 am
10forcash

What I was questioning is if there is a 'problem' at all - or whether the 'improvement' is being perceived as a problem...
Granted, you have other issues, which may make you more inclined to feel that there is a problem with the enhancement and / or service but I really think you're chasing shadows here... maybe even wanting there to be a problem?

Post #756243rd Aug 2006 11:16 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Slightly Off Topic but:

Had a metallic rubbing noise from steering on full and almost full lock when reversing. Local dealer fixed it in 10 mins, was a loose bolt on one of the heat shield. Sorted! Didn't even get time top finish my 2nd cup of free coffee. Laughing

PS TFC is that U shooting the greenies in your avatar?

Post #756263rd Aug 2006 11:20 am
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
maybe even wanting there to be a problem?

Shocked

now u r Censored ing me off. Evil or Very Mad I have had enough of having to goto the dealers it costs me £40 every time just in fuel let alone time. Mine is noticably more clattery and louder than it was ... thats it.

I even had the LRA guy , before I had the upgrade/service, at one of the breakdowns, tell me how quiet mine was in comparison to his ! now mine sounds terrible..........but maybe Im imagining it Rolling Eyes
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #756283rd Aug 2006 11:38 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Maybe yours was too quiet, now they have connected the 2 cylinders that they forgot its "normal" now. Shocked

On a serious note, get the stealers demo machine & compare side by side. Good luck. 8)

Post #756313rd Aug 2006 11:46 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I don't think that TFC is suggesting that you are imagining the noise because of some sort of celebral disposition you may have ....it is a well known fact that when somebody is generally unhappy with anything in life they are suseptable to focussing on any issue related to what they are unhappy with ....and that issue will appear 100 times worse than it may in fact be, or it may not exist at all. That is how I read it anyway Wink

It's a bit sad that you are experiencing the issues ....maybe it's time to get your ar$e out with them bigtime ...I know where my motor would be parked if I had that much unresolved trouble....

....in the middle of their showroom !! Twisted Evil
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #756393rd Aug 2006 1:17 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Mine's a little quieter I think. The diesel 'rattle' is a little less obvious, but I can;t say whether it was the service or the software upgrades.

My latest problem is an erratic drivers seat. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's jerky and makes a constant relay stye clicking noise.

Back the 400km to the dealer on next friday to have a CV boot replaced and the seat looked at.

I enjoy driving this car more than any other I've ever had and put down the problems that I've had to British eccentricity! Very Happy
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #756553rd Aug 2006 1:50 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Just glad my dealer is all of 5 miles away! Shocked

Post #756623rd Aug 2006 2:03 pm
Jamo

Australia 

It's not too bad, except that I can't really afford the time away from work.

I just look at it as 7hours (both ways) of sheer driving bliss.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #756663rd Aug 2006 2:08 pm
JE Engineering

United Kingdom 

I have noticed a few of the TDV6's coming through recently have sounded a bit rough at idle but clear with revs, the red D3 i did today sounded fine in comparison.
Infact it was one of the best D3's i had ever driven.

Post #756953rd Aug 2006 4:12 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

JE Engineering wrote:
... the red D3 i did today sounded fine in comparison. Infact it was one of the best D3's i had ever driven.

Hmmmm I wonder who that was? Did he have a black & white cat Wink
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #756973rd Aug 2006 4:41 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Quote:
Hmmmm I wonder who that was? Did he have a black & white cat Wink
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Last edited by simkna on 3rd Aug 2006 5:00 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #756993rd Aug 2006 4:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top