Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Engine Oil Critically Low...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sub

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Engine Oil Critically Low...

So I had this light appear last year - and then fscked up as I overfilled it and needed to get it properly drained.

About a year has passed, and the light has come back, after the car is warmed up, and on a motorway. However, it comes and goes, sometimes staying on. I intend to take it to the local indy and get them to change the oil so it's at a 'known good' level again, but some questions....

1) If I leave the car, then check the service menu oil level - everything appears fine - full to the brim.
2) If I plug in my Gap IID tool, and monitor it when the car is not moving, and in neutral, then I get the following readings: 'Oil Level Measured: 117.0 m' and 'Oil volume - calculated: 5.5L'.
3) When I drive, the Gap IID tool informs me 'Oil Level Measured: 29.0 m' and Oil volume: calculated: 2.7L' - these are the lowest readings I encountered, but it tended to stick around 3L or so....

Question is - can I trust any of these numbers, gauges, warnings, etc? Anyone shine a light on what should be expected...?

Ta![/list]

Post #235181730th Oct 2023 9:08 pm
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Bit odd that it gives different readings... could it possibly be that the oil level sensor is faulty? And isn't that a known issue with some D4s?

Could be worth doing a search on the forum to see if anything comes up that looks similar to your issue...

Obvious question, are there any signs of obvious oil leaks? Or do you suspect that the engine is burning a lot of oil?

I'm not an expert by any stretch - this is just what I'd be thinking if I was in your shoes.

Good luck!

Post #235182230th Oct 2023 9:46 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Had this on my RRS (16MY) - it was the oil level sensor in the sump somewhere and had to be replaced - luckily I was on warranty as it was a fairly big job as I understand it... but the symptoms were identical to yours

Post #235185631st Oct 2023 10:37 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Another case for my emergency dip stick post Laughing or it will be curtains Rolling with laughter

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/emergency-diy-dipstick-187247.html
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #235185831st Oct 2023 10:43 am
Dondiddy

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I had this issue once with mine. On checking the oil level it was ok so I put it down to oil dilution as I was doing lots of short journeys. I had the Adblue engine. I changed the oil and filter and the warning never came back again. I sold the Disco about a year later. Hope this helps!

Post #235187031st Oct 2023 12:20 pm
sub

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks all - suspect oil dilution. Going to have the oil changed tomorrow.

Future readers of this post - if there’s nothing further then this is the fix!

Post #235187231st Oct 2023 12:41 pm
disco chris

I may be missing something, why would oil dilution cause the sensor to believe that the oil level was critically low?

Doesn't the fact that the sensor is reporting two different levels within a short space of time during different driving conditions suggest an issue with the sensor?

I would have thought that oil dilution would just increase the oil level steadily over a period of time, until a point that the sensor will tell you that the level is too high regardless of how you're driving the car. Unless, having the engine oil diluted with diesel causes the sensor to make funny readings.

Post #235187431st Oct 2023 1:09 pm
sub

There's another stat I left out of the post - 'Oil quality fuel dilution factor - inferred'. I've no idea what this means, but figured it was possible related to the problem. I can't see anything about this in the manual.

This was around the 8.86 mark. Be curious to see others readings if they have an IID tool!

Post #235189831st Oct 2023 6:08 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Oil dilution inferred is a percentage calculated by the car and relates to the amount of diesel fuel it believes has ended up in the oil caused by incomplete DPF regeneration processes (which are more likely to occur after short journeys). My experience is that the car asks for a service at around 6.5% . It also, in my experience causes the oil to show overfilled. Obviously it will only show overfilled if the starting level is full or near to full in the first place. Given all that I don’t see how it could cause oil level to show as low.
Hope you get it sorted.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #235190731st Oct 2023 6:46 pm
Carl and Petra

France 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

You say you measure the oil level when you drive with the gap tool.

Surely that would show a low reading as the oil is sloshing about all over the engine as it is meant to do? I do not see how oil level can be measures with the engine running?

I ask as i do not know.

Post #235190931st Oct 2023 7:25 pm
sub

@Gary_P - I suspect the warning message is inaccurate, but the intent is to get the user to panic and drive to a dealers and get it sorted. Technically you could argue the oil level is low, though the overall fluid volume is high!

@Carl and Petra - yeah I completely agree and had the same thought - but wanted someone to tell me that this was the reason!

Post #23519691st Nov 2023 8:49 am
disco chris

I don't think LR would design a sensor that falsely claims that the oil level is critically low just to get you to panic and take it to the dealers to sort out. I think the only reason the car would display that message is because the sensor genuinely believes that the volume of 'circulating oily fluid' (whether that's pure engine oil or engine oil plus diesel due to dilution) is too low.

That could be because the sensor is faulty and throwing out false readings at certain times (which would potentially explain why you are getting different readings at different times), or possibly if high levels of dilution mean the sensor is unable to read the oil level properly, but I'm not sure if that's a 'thing' or not.

I also don't think that the oil level is meant to be measured while you're driving the vehicle - maybe fine to do out of interest but I certainly wouldn't expect to get an accurate reading.

Easy first step is to change the oil and filter as you said. After that if the message is still appearing then I would suspect the oil level sensor is faulty.

Post #23519821st Nov 2023 10:07 am
Realist

Wales 
Re: Engine Oil Critically Low...

Where is this menu in GAP that shows the oil levels etc?

sub wrote:
So I had this light appear last year - and then fscked up as I overfilled it and needed to get it properly drained.

About a year has passed, and the light has come back, after the car is warmed up, and on a motorway. However, it comes and goes, sometimes staying on. I intend to take it to the local indy and get them to change the oil so it's at a 'known good' level again, but some questions....

1) If I leave the car, then check the service menu oil level - everything appears fine - full to the brim.
2) If I plug in my Gap IID tool, and monitor it when the car is not moving, and in neutral, then I get the following readings: 'Oil Level Measured: 117.0 m' and 'Oil volume - calculated: 5.5L'.
3) When I drive, the Gap IID tool informs me 'Oil Level Measured: 29.0 m' and Oil volume: calculated: 2.7L' - these are the lowest readings I encountered, but it tended to stick around 3L or so....

Question is - can I trust any of these numbers, gauges, warnings, etc? Anyone shine a light on what should be expected...?

Ta![/list]

Why wait, just go for it and enjoy life.

Previous….
Discovery 300TDI
Range Rover Vogue
2010 Discovery 4 GS Santorini Metallic Black 

Post #23520932nd Nov 2023 1:22 pm
Mastertech

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Do an oil and filter change so you know how much oil is in the sump then recheck the level sensor operation.

Post #23526879th Nov 2023 9:17 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have just had my oil sensor replaced under warranty ,landrover assist came out and said it was faulty dealership topped up oil and all was fine kept having different readings went back to dealership they had it over a week and said it was fine, after a heated a conversation they put a senior technician on it if left the ignition on and kept checking found that I was right he put it on the ramp unplugged the sensor and found sensor leaking into the wiring loom hope this helps

Post #23526899th Nov 2023 10:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >