Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine system fault. HELP.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Definately could NOT give you tips, nor whether the auction one is correct.....way beyond my realms

Post #64139126th Apr 2010 8:22 pm
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Guy,
Don't know if you have sourced your turbo yet? I am in the same boat, 30,000 mile, 2005 SE Auto, engine warning light on, reduction in power. Diagnosed via fault codes as a fault in the Turbo, possibly the turbo itself or the electronic actuator which moinitors the turbo, matters not which one is faulty as they a one unit and as such must be replaced if faulty. This is the second turbo to go wrong on my vehicle, the first being replaced after 2 years under warranty at 16,000 miles.

LRCC are a bit of a joke and tell me the car is too old for any goowill assistance for this problem. They have indicated that they are not aware of it happening twice to one vehicle and they are sorry so it's not so bad!!!

LR prices for a Turbo are approx £925 + VAT for a service replacement item ( refurbished ). £1075 + VAT for a new item.

There are a variety of Turbo suppliers outside the Land Rover world. The best price I have found for a Discovery 3 turbo is £625 + VAT, it's a KKK/Borg Warner unit serial number 53049880069.....I guess LR feel that having them stamped with LR makes them more valuable.

I love the car but have ended up disappointed in the quality and reliability of the product. I bought new thinking that it would easily last 10+ years and I would have the assurance of knowing it's history! however after some 27 warranty issues plus other faults no longer covered by warranty such as tailgate lock failure/rear passenger door lock failure/remote key operated central locking failure/intermitten front speaker, blown turbo etc etc. Time has come to think about getting rid of it as it has become a money pit.

Hope you get your issue fixed, I am told that the turbo is buried at the back on the nearside of the engine, if you strip out the F/N/S wheel arch liner there is an inspection hatch which allows vision of the Turbo, however this hole is too small to remove the Turbo through!!! clever engineering.

Post #6439222nd May 2010 5:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Unfortunately you buy a D3 (and it's facelifted version) for it's ability and inspite of its rubbish reliability. I have 2 and run a Jazz for when they are both broken at the same time, which has happened!

Living up here you need the ability:

Click image to enlarge

Post #6439232nd May 2010 5:37 pm
guy lewis

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes got a turbo thanks and all fitted and back to normal operation.I got a brand new borgwarner turbo for £480+vat which is a carbon copy of the original,the original dosent even have LR stamped on it. I got the tubo from a company called Midland turbo, 0115 975 2458. they had to me within 24 hours free delivery, you cant ask for more than that.
 D3 bonatti grey  
Post #6439302nd May 2010 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matt.y

Now that looks like my favourite weather/driving conditions, don't get enough of it down south. I agree, nothing beats it when it's working, however my wifes Skoda spanks the Disco for build quality and reliability.

Post #6439312nd May 2010 5:55 pm
Matt.y

WOW that was a good price, can I pester you for advice about fitting? was it an advanced mechanical job?

Post #6439332nd May 2010 5:57 pm
guy lewis

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes only to happy to help. PM me your number if you need to chat.
 D3 bonatti grey  
Post #6439362nd May 2010 6:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dhdisco

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hi, I had system failure on and off for about 2 months, had LR assistance out ect..., went down to the New forest on holiday October last year, to cut a long story short (long version available if needed), ended up nearly blocking the A1 in contraflow, through LR assistance they took my D3 to "Salsbury Landrover", (got to say they were fantastic). Turned out to be the fuel pump, luckily for us 4 weeks before the end of the 3 year warranty !!!. Although now can't use the car as its sat on its bump stops on the drive "AARRGGHH", suspension failure !!!

Hope this helps

Dave

Disco 200tdi 93
Disco 300tdi 97 (Aviemore)
Disco TD5 98
Disco TD5 04 (Face lift)
Disco 300 V8 (project vehicle)
Disco 3 56 current vehicle

Post #6442013rd May 2010 1:27 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

guy lewis wrote:
Yes got a turbo thanks and all fitted and back to normal operation.

Hi Guy,

Did you end up fitting it yourself?

Can you give a very rough walk through and a few details?

If you haven't got any pics, then just let us know the difficulty, any problem areas, special tools needed and timescale required if possible.

Thanks a lot,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6442263rd May 2010 2:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >