Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine System Fault (i)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
seddie

Scotland 
Engine System Fault (i)

In the last 250 miles I have had the warning 'Engine System Fault (i)' 4 times, it seems to come on after travelling around 20 - 25 miles, the power drops but once you stop and let it go to sleep, all works well. It happened twice yesterday, once on the way into Aberdeen about 22 miles from home and again on the way home (different route) again about 20 miles from Aberdeen. On both occasions it went into limp mode but was OK after a little snooze. Took it to the garage I bought it from and the mechanic put it on diagnostics but could not find any fault codes stored, he gave it the once over and said there was nothing he could do, as he didn't know what was wrong Banging Head .
Anyone got any ideas Question , I have searched and all the others seem to have had fault codes stored, either EGR or turbo
STILL UNDER WARRANTY Thumbs Up

Post #6988581st Oct 2010 12:16 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can't believe it wouldn't have stored any fault codes... even when mine was just a dodgy fuel filter causing the same as you have, it still stored fault codes.

Have you taken them out for a ride in it? Does it do it when you're going up a steep hill or trying to overtake or strongly accelerate?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #6988711st Oct 2010 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
seddie

Scotland 

Unnecessary quote removed

It doesn't do it everytime and everytime it has done it, it's been on a flat piece of road. I took the mechanic out for a run, but nothing untoward happened.
Stew.

Post #6988781st Oct 2010 1:05 pm
anglefire

England 

This is exactly what mine is doing.

Sometimes a fault code is stored (Low fuel pressure is common) but not always.

Mines been in half dozen times in the last 6months, no cure yet.

I believe mine is temperature related - only does it when the engine is really hot (Not the gauge though) during a good motorway run. And then only if it gets a boot full - like when overtaking and it kicks down typically.

I don;t think the EGR's on their own give a fault code on the early engines, so something else has to go into fault if the EGR's are actually the root cause.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #6988881st Oct 2010 1:20 pm
pollafero

Belgium 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Could be the DPF

Could be the DPF. Had the same problem with exactly the same symptoms during last summer. D3 was only 1/2 year old then and had only some 8000 miles. Also: Angelfire may be right saying it is temperature related: it happened three times after D3 had been parked in the hot sun for several hours.Went for a check in the garage I bought it from (not a LR stealer) and was told there was a fault code saying the DPF was clodding up. They reset the fault code (seems engine system fault announcement only comes about after several fault codes happening) and was advised to drive for some distance at relatively high speed. Or better: at high RPM. Drove the D3 for about 20 miles at 4000 RPM and had nomore 'engine system fault' since. Seems to indicate one is driving to 'carefully'. Apparently you have 'to step on it' from time to time...Wink
 When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead, remember what the dormouse said: feed your head. (Jefferson Airplane)  
Post #7112222nd Nov 2010 8:17 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Getting same on fullish throttle, looks like fuel filter needs changed. Same symptoms, needs switched off & on again, good fun at 65 mph on Froggie Autoroute! Whistle Whistle

Post #7112232nd Nov 2010 8:20 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

anglefire wrote:
This is exactly what mine is doing.

Sometimes a fault code is stored (Low fuel pressure is common) but not always.

Mines been in half dozen times in the last 6months, no cure yet.

I believe mine is temperature related - only does it when the engine is really hot (Not the gauge though) during a good motorway run. And then only if it gets a boot full - like when overtaking and it kicks down typically.

I don;t think the EGR's on their own give a fault code on the early engines, so something else has to go into fault if the EGR's are actually the root cause.

Yours sounds like a blocked intercooler from mud or simlar causing a heat soak problem may be.

Pete

Post #7112372nd Nov 2010 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anglefire

England 

Funnily enough Pete, I've changed the intercooler the other week. As you may know if you've looked on the t'other site Thumbs Up

It's not done it since but then I don't expect it to as its now colder.

If this does cure it, I suspect many other similar faults in other peoples cars will be the same - the intercooler is in a stupid place and the fins are really close together. So any sort of dirt picked up off the road is going to block it, let alone going off road. Big Cry
 Mark.

Post #7113162nd Nov 2010 10:54 pm
bellautos

Ive not seen the thread, was your cooler muddy ?

Ive fixed sooooo many cars faults from this sort of problem its more common a problem than some realise.

Pete

Post #7113362nd Nov 2010 11:30 pm
anglefire

England 

Was it muddy? I'll say it was! Looks to be completely blocked - Put it this way, when I tried to clean it by using a hose directed at it from inside the fan cowl, the bottom filled with water about 3" deep - and leaked out via the edges, rather than through the intercooler.

It's been back to the dealers about 1/2dozen times but they could never repeat the fault - which always happened when it was hot - an hour or so into a good motorway run and a kickdown to overtake triggered it.
 Mark.

Post #7113432nd Nov 2010 11:37 pm
bellautos

You for sure have found the problem and now cure Smile

Post #7113462nd Nov 2010 11:43 pm
seddie

Scotland 

If I bought a Faltmate FCR, would it read the fault codes if I kept the engine running after the code appears. Question

Post #7114203rd Nov 2010 10:30 am
bellautos

Ive read and cleared fault codes with the engine running many times with no problems.

Pete

Post #7114623rd Nov 2010 12:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Fuel filter change didn't fix it for me, problem back. Didn't throw it's toys out the pram once in Tunisia with temps up to 42c and lots of full throttle. Sad

Post #7120954th Nov 2010 6:58 pm
anglefire

England 

Have you checked your intercooler? Can't be sure its fixed my 100% yet, as only time will tell.

I'm also not sure how the electronics work in terms of what is ok and what is not, to know if the ambient makes a difference at the temperatures you experience in Tunisia - it may be the engine expect the intercooler to be less efficient and therefore automatically de-tunes the engine to suit Thumbs Up
 Mark.

Post #7121084th Nov 2010 7:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >