Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Engine System Fault/Turbo Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Engine System Fault/Turbo Failure

I have seen on the Engine System Fault thread in the UK site that lots of UK TdV6 owners are experiencing sudden loss of engine power, usually at speed on the motorway.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2468

This happened to me recently whilst driving from Toowoomba to Brisbane, not once but twice in 15 minutes. Not much fun when overtaking a semi to find that the engine just dies and you have to find a quick way to get off the road! Switching the engine off and on again fixes the problem, although only temporarily. The solution in the UK seems to be replacement of the turbo, but Austral Land Rover have told me they have never encountered this problem, and other than a software upgrade were unable to offer any solution as they say no faults were found in the system. I had also been experiencing random Engine System Fault warnings with reduced engine power, and it seems these problems are all linked in some way. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did your dealer do to fix it?
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #619375th Jun 2006 7:41 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Waaaaay back there was a fault pattern similar to yours that was traced to a wiring loom connection problem, if it was a turbo problem, DTC codes would be logged for sure

Post #619385th Jun 2006 7:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

John,

Get it properly diagnosed by the Dealer using the WDS software.

Mine had this problem after about 3 months and it was not the turbo but loose connectors on the back of the engine giving the ECU wrong inputs.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #619415th Jun 2006 7:55 am
jpi3418

10forcash wrote:
Waaaaay back there was a fault pattern similar to yours that was traced to a wiring loom connection problem, if it was a turbo problem, DTC codes would be logged for sure

Page 6 of the Engine System Fault thread has this post dated 01/06/06 from R11prt:

Just collected my D3 from the dealer, having had a new turbo fitted, car experienced exactly the same power failure that a lot of members have mentioned. Fuel consumption is reduced too (now 23.9 as opposed to 21 ish) my advise would be to demand that a new turbo should be fitted as having also experience failure on the motorway at slightly above the national speed limit, it's a terrifying experience!"

So it seems this fault is very much in the here and now.

Post #619445th Jun 2006 8:01 am
jpi3418

PCH wrote:
John,

Get it properly diagnosed by the Dealer using the WDS software.

Mine had this problem after about 3 months and it was not the turbo but loose connectors on the back of the engine giving the ECU wrong inputs.

Chris

Chris,
Surely the dealer would have done this when I took it in after the problem happened? Or do we as customers have to twist their arms to do the job properly? I must say, they do seem pretty casual about what could so easily be a catastrophic fault if an accident ensued Sad
Cheers
John

Post #619485th Jun 2006 8:10 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm not expert on the WDS software but this is the first thing my Dealer connects to download errors that have been logged by the ECU. So presumably this is also the same method of diagnosis your dealer would follow.

Apparently the system can tell the mechanics where possible causes to a problem may reside. This is the feeling I got when they diagnosed my loose connectors on the back of the engine. It took the mechanics 1 full day just to get to the back of the engine so I suspect someone or something told them where to look. Otherwise how would you know. At this stage my D3 was only 3 months old and it was one of the first deliveries in Australia so there was limited experience at my Dealer.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #619495th Jun 2006 8:17 am
jpi3418

Chris,
Thanks for this, I'll definitely ask the question. They took only a couple of hours to upload the new software when I had the engine power failure, so I don't know if they got around to checking the contacts as you described. I'm thinking that if I demand a replacement turbo they're probably going to check everything else out thoroughly before they would agree to such an expensive replacement. That way I might get these gremlins sorted at last. BTW, apart from this I love the car, who'd have thought a 4WD could be actually enjoyable to drive. Something no Toyota driver would ever understand... Laughing

Post #619545th Jun 2006 8:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >