DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Enhanced TDV6 v
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JMC

Scotland 
Enhanced TDV6 v’s RRS v’s TC’d TDV6

OK, here is how this stacks up…..

I have now done 7k miles in my (TurboChipped from new) TDV6. I took it for its ‘enhancement’ last weekend and I got a RRS HSE loaner to play with for 300 miles. Then, I get back my own enhanced TDV6 which is now missing its chip.

So what’s the difference……

Here is what I consider to be an objective comparison (well, of course I would), firstly between the D3 and the RRS, and then between a TC’d car and a non-TC’d car.

What is nice about the RRS?

Bling!! There is something nice about the word Range on the bonnet instead of Land next to Rover. I felt more ‘showy’ when I parked it and walked away with the occasional rearward glance. However, I couldn’t park next to a proper FFRR as this didn’t have the same effect (poor cousin syndrome). Also, the RRS (IMHO) has a sexier rear end than the D3. Shocked

In fact, the D3 is more like the wife….. You say her bum doesn’t look big in something, but you know that the RRS (like a super model) looks better. However, you know which one you are more comfortable with in a long term relationship! Embarassed

What’s not so nice about the RRS?

My left knee was constantly hitting the centre console - I began to feel cocooned in the cockpit and couldn’t cope with that on a long journey. The seats didn't seem as comfy and felt slightly shorter on the base which left a numbness in my right leg. The door pockets are less useful than those of the D3, and a 2ltr bottle of Volvic has nowhere to go. There isn't a utilitarian feel to the RRS, and, in particular, the off road switchgear (for suspension and gearing) are in a terribly poor location. With the armrest in place, I constantly had to look for the access height button, rather than simply swiping it casually without looking. In fact, you could be forgiven for thinking that it had been put out-of-the-way on purpose so as not to spoil the look of things. On the subject of spoiling the look – the ‘wood’ finish on the RRS was more G-plan than Bentley….. Finally, the air con was extremely poor when compared to the blast from the D3. A couple of asthmatic penguins on the dashboard could have provided a stronger, cooler airflow than that. Very Happy

Oh…. one other thing…. It wasn’t as quick as my own D3…. (see below)

Enhanced v’s TC’d TDV6

Well, if the enhancement makes it quicker, I’d hate to be driving a standard D3!!! Shocked

During my first 300 miles (ever) of driving a non-TC’d enhanced D3, I came very close to killing myself, my wife and a number of fellow road users who were coming the other way. Embarassed It isn’t so much that it is slow…. It just isn’t quick…. And it certainly isn’t quick enough. Twisted Evil

Remember, this was my own car which I’m (was) very used to. An occasional overtaking manoeuvre would have normally left the adversary wondering how such a leviathan could move its ass so hastily. This has now turned into a blind panic as I am half way past a car with another closing in towards me with too little time to complete the move. Shocked Furthermore, this isn’t something which has only been noticed from the driving seat. My other half says she can definitely feel the difference and so can her underwear!! Shocked

To add insult to injury, with the exception of a couple of rueful overtaking shots, the rest of the trip home was spent at 56mph in an effort to see how the economy faired. I was even selecting neutral on the downhills and switching off the aircon. Result….. 28.3MPG. If I had done this before I could have seen 33+MPG. Evil or Very Mad

If anyone is still reading this then there is some simple advice. Get a D3 rather than a RRS and spend some of the money you have saved on a Turbochip. Permagrin state will resume when Nick (RTC) comes back to me about getting mine ‘put-back’ the way it was… 8)

Post #765548th Aug 2006 12:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

interesting review... thanks for this.

One question... how many miles did the loaner have ?

The loaner (and very low mileage) D3 I used recently was very lethargic compared to my 45K miler D3. They loosen up quite a bit as the miles pile on... and the MPG gets better too.

Personally I don't find my D3 too slow. Yes the TC remap would make a big difference to performance agreed... but enough to warrant the cost ??

cheers

-s

Post #765838th Aug 2006 9:14 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Enhanced TDV6 v’s RRS v’s TC’d TDV6

JMC wrote:

Also, the RRS (IMHO) has a sexier rear end than the D3. Shocked

Sexier until you need to open the boot; then the D3 wins hands down with its split tail gate. Why on earth they didn't make RRS split tail gate too Confused
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #765888th Aug 2006 9:18 am
JMC

Scotland 

simon wrote:
One question... how many miles did the loaner have ?

Yes the TC remap would make a big difference to performance agreed... but enough to warrant the cost ??

Hi Simon

The RRS had about 5k on the clock so not much difference to my own D3. As for the cost of the TC, at about 4-5mpg improvement and increased Mr. Green I'd say it will soon pay for itself.

Post #766378th Aug 2006 11:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
Personally I don't find my D3 too slow. Yes the TC remap would make a big difference to performance agreed... but enough to warrant the cost ??

-s

I expected the worst, speed wise, before all day test drive, however I was surprised at how sprightly the Disco was when I drove it & felt happy to buy, although felt it would benefit from more puff.

Having had mine TC'd within week of purchase I would say it is the best £500 I could have spent on the car & would recommend any owner &/or future owner to fork out for it. It really does make the car so much better on road.

Post #768488th Aug 2006 9:42 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

jolly good for you Smile

Still can't justify £500 ish for the mod... would love too but can't at present.

Post #768868th Aug 2006 11:30 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'd go as far as saying that the T/C is actually an essantial mod. on thegrounds of safety alone, as already mentioned. If you use your D3 as an everyday drive, there will be times when you will need to pull out from a junction, overtake quickly or accelerate away from danger & it's these situations where the improvement is most noticeable.
The fact that it makes the D3 so much nicer & more relaxing to drive & should improve mpg is the" icing on the cake".
For me it was worth every penny.

Post #770169th Aug 2006 2:39 pm
Pelyma

England 

I have to say my second D3 has been as sprightly from day 1 as my 23K first D3. Neither have been played around with, I would love to do it but I'm too much of a scardy cat warranty wise. I know everyone says it's undetectable, but I can't believe that LR (not the dealer) can't trace it if you had a big issue that got LR envolved.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #770449th Aug 2006 4:18 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I know T/C have a deal with at least one group of big L/R main dealers. Can't remember which, might be Stratstones?. I know this as there was a possibility of me going to one of them to replace the "wiped" re-map after the L/R enhancements.
If there was any real warranty issues, I doubt a main dealer would recc./sell it.
I've had re-mapped, chipped whatever you want to call it cars for the last 10 years or more. I've always used tried & tested specialsts, taken plenty of advice & done lots of research.
Never had any problems as I service my cars on or before schedule & use branded (not supermarket) fuel.
T/C was given the thumbs up by two Tuners whose opinion I value & trust.
Most importantly though, the TDV6 has HUGE tolerance levels as standard as it could have to cope with lengthy & extreme off-roading & poor diesel in far flung areas of the world, as well as not being serviced properly.
IMO the TDV6 could cope with much more bhp/torque outputs than the T/C re-map gives and still be reliable, but there would be little point in this & the T/C level of tune should have no impact on the transmission & drivetrain etc.
I actually very rarely drive the D3 hard, with the T/C I just don't have to press the throttle as far & know that if required the extra power is there.

Post #770579th Aug 2006 5:25 pm
PaulB

United Kingdom 
Re: Enhanced TDV6 v’s RRS v’s TC’d TDV6

KL wrote:
JMC wrote:

Also, the RRS (IMHO) has a sexier rear end than the D3. Shocked

Sexier until you need to open the boot; then the D3 wins hands down with its split tail gate. Why on earth they didn't make RRS split tail gate too Confused

The RRS has a split tail gate, but i splits in a different way to the D3. I actually prefer the fact that the whole tail gate goes up rather than half of it coming down. My dog really had difficulty jumping onto the lowered section of the D3's tail gate. It was a " Censored or bust" jump. If it mis-judged it, there was no recovery...it was going to hurt. Whereas with the RRS, there is the bumper ledge to get a second chance at it.
Unfortunately, our dog died earlier this year so these issues no longer apply ....for the time being.
I also find that the lowered tail gate makes it a very long reach to the back of the boot area.

Just my penny's worth Wink

Paul

Post #770699th Aug 2006 5:50 pm
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It is Stratstone that offer TC.
Had my car TC'd by TC directly after LR software upgrade. After both upgrade & TC'ping car had to go back to dealer (Stratstone) due to defective battery. To reset everything after new battery dealer chose to re-load software, wiping the TC'ing . I told them of the TC upgrade & that by reloading software they had wiped it, I expressed dismay at this........, as a result Stratstone reloaded the TC upgrade once I gave them the TC ref that TC gave me. (TC had said this was possible when I said I had bought from Stratstone)
As you can guess Stratstone would have charged loads more than TC to originally TC, & Stratstone Mayfair charges loads more than Stratstone Woodford.

If there were warranty issues I guess Stratstone would not have reTC'd my car.

Post #771279th Aug 2006 8:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >