Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
EPB

Well after a trip to farnells in Bradford to adjust and thoroughly check my EPB I now find myself once more on the drive with an EPB that has decided it has a fault. I have had to resort to the emergency release loop.

Not sure what to do next with EPB as all I am told is that there is nothing wrong with it! there clearly is! Mad

Any advice appreciated, tried contacting TFC months ago but the message is still in my out box.

Any dampness in the atmosphere and this happens - god knows what would happen if I ever tried wading!!!???

Post #75949310th Feb 2011 8:59 am
Discoed

So I'm not sure if the EPB will work again now I have pulled the emergency loop.....

Post #75949810th Feb 2011 9:15 am
catweasel

Re: EPB

brucezcutts wrote:
tried contacting TFC months ago but the message is still in my out box.
he wont respond to PM's, email him instead
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member179.html

Post #75950010th Feb 2011 9:28 am
Discoed

Thanks catweasel

Spoken to Farnells and booked it it (again) they reckon is the actuator thats shagged but I am not convinced as this problem only ever happens when its damp! Confused

Post #75950610th Feb 2011 9:43 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Once you've pulled the release cable, it should re-engage it the next time you disengage the EPB properly. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #75954610th Feb 2011 11:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GavinB

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Brucezcutts mine does this every few months, the dealer I use have cleaned and reset it and so has TFC. to be honest it worked much better after TFC did it, as part of the service no extra, whereas the dealer charged me £120.

currently driving around with the flashing red light as pulled the cable and now wont reset, maybe they will believe me when I taking it into the dealers that its Censored

Post #75954910th Feb 2011 11:11 am
Discoed

I have heard that there was a handbrake wiring recall on 05 MY - can anyone confirm this?? Confused

Post #75956610th Feb 2011 11:49 am
Discoed

Well the EPB seems to have re set itself and is now working fine. The next problem will come next time it's damp. What a smashing idea designing a handbrake that is weather dependent, give watching the weather forecast an extra edge, maybe land rover should include a barometer as part of the standard equipment!! Whistle

Post #75964910th Feb 2011 3:23 pm
crocher

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi There

Yesterday morning I was greeted by s screaming EPB, it was so bad that neighbours popped around to come and see what/who is screaming like that.

I have now opened up the one side and cleaned everything out, and adjusted it. Will do the other side this afternoon.

Bodsy that a million for your EXCELLENT guide!!
 2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE
BFG All Terrains
SERIOUSLY upgraded the interior boot lighting
Double flush done 

Post #75997311th Feb 2011 6:51 am
packingstrips

Unless you have the ability to be able to put the parkbrake in to mount mode then adjusting park brakes on Disco 3's could cost you alot of money and will probably convert your drum/disc in to a portable frying pan. Mount mode totally releases the modulator and cables enabling the shoes to be adjusted correctly

There is a new procedure on its way from LR with a new tool to put it in mount mode simply without have to connect SDD...this will hopefully eradicate the inconsistency you get when carrying out an adjustment process.

Post #75999111th Feb 2011 8:34 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think you will find that the actuator will be weakened by repeated use when the brake is not adjusted properly.

There is a slip clutch inside which protects the motor when the cables reach the end of travel before the brake is fully applied, and as a result the unit makes the horrible screaming noise.

The problem is that repeated screamers weaken the slip clutch. Unfortunately its a viscous circle and a new actuator will be needed.

There are other components in the unit that could also fail, such as the strain guage, and of course if the shoes are seized in the drums!

AndrewW did a very good thread about dissecting the epb actuator and identifying a design weakness. I believe he was trying to get some beefed up parts made, but not sure if he succeeded?

Post #75999511th Feb 2011 9:00 am
Discoed

Mine has never screamed and was adjusted in mount mode by Farnells of Bradford - it was well out of adjustment they told me.

I have given up expecting the thing to work properly, I now carry a special hook to release the brake.

Post #75999811th Feb 2011 9:09 am
crocher

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Does anyone know the "mount mode" for a D3 2005 model. I recall there being a procedure on how to get the car (epb) into "service" mode?
 2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE
BFG All Terrains
SERIOUSLY upgraded the interior boot lighting
Double flush done 

Post #76000911th Feb 2011 10:00 am
packingstrips

crocher wrote:
Does anyone know the "mount mode" for a D3 2005 model. I recall there being a procedure on how to get the car (epb) into "service" mode?

Mount mode musnt be mistaken with service mode/service bedding in mode...service bedding mode is used to bed the linings in after you have replaced discs or linings this is done by pressing the foot pedal and then using the epb switch, mount mode is required before you replace the linings and before adjustment. Land Rover will be releasing a revised procedure which will roll out shortly. They have introduced a new dongle which will effectively plug into to the diagnostic connector and place the epb system in mount mode. Unless you have either a dongle or a Land Rover diagnostic tool (SDD) then you will be unable to enter mount mode. You should not be putting the vehicle in to service mode or bedding in mode to adjust the brake shoes.

Last edited by packingstrips on 17th Feb 2011 10:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #76017411th Feb 2011 6:11 pm
Discoed

After a visit to BAS, Pete has now sorted the EPB problem. Looks like to diagnosis of an old problem had led to the creation of mine. Holes in the wires in the loom on the EPB module connector seem to have been the problem. Some wires broken and some with barely a strand holding them together. Now re soldered and the problem resolved.

I am looking forward to discussing the issue with Farnells in Bradford "nothing wrong with it sir". That was the first time I had ever taken any vehicle to a dealers and you know what, it's probably the last.

So thanks Pete. Great service and a decent cup of tea too. Thumbs Up

Post #76220515th Feb 2011 10:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >