Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB AMBER (P) Light on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
James1045

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3
EPB AMBER (P) Light on

OK so never having owned a Disco before the wife has decided she wanted one due to our rural location, need for a reasonable towing vehicle occasionally (horse related) and chose a disco 3 (despite several people saying they wouldn't touch one due to all the issues they have 🙄).

We found an 05 plate manual tdv6 2.7 diesel with 119k on it and regular service history from one previous owner, with both belts changed recently. Its also on springs as we didn't want the hassle with air compressors having done a little bit of research. We also wanted one with no epb faults as we have read nightmare stories.

Went to see it and all was fine. Slight issue on way home which is for another thread (basically the fuel gauge is reading quarter full when it was in fact empty as we found out when it cut out for no apparent (at the time) reason on dual carriage way).

On getting home and driving for a few days I got in one evening and noticed the Amber p light was dimly lit, and immediately got concerned it had come on since buying it. However on looking in daylight I believe it has always been lit as if you shield the dash you can see it. The car passed an mot the day before which shows the mot centre also couldnt see it.

My question is where to start. I find it odd that it is so dimly lit. All the other lights are bright and vibrant apart from this one. It hasn't had anything stuck over it either before anyone suggests.
I've read some issues with the lives from the battery to epb module just in front of the n/s/r arch but not had chance to look yet. Or maybe the break wear sensors, would they illuminate the amber P light if they were damaged from replacing pads by someone?
Could anyone offer any advice as when I called into my local indie they actually said ignore it as you'll cause more problems looking and told me it wasn't an mot fail. It would be under 1.1.6e on testing list though. I have nearly 12 months to sort but want to try sort it sooner rather than later.

The epb works fine by the way and comes on and off with out problems and holds the car very well.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

James

Post #212173317th Feb 2020 12:58 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If the gear selector position is out of calibration on a manual it will put the EPB warning light on . Mine did this back in 2005. It will extinguish on initial start up , but will then come on after a number of gear changes . Are any of the gear positions slow coming up on the display ?

Post #212173717th Feb 2020 1:11 pm
James1045

Apologies I forgot to mention this. The gear indicator is showing every gear very instantly on selection. I did try the xy sensor recalibration anyway but no joy. Also the reversing lights work as well which I saw was a fault with the xy sensor so it would appear not to be this issue. Thanks for the reply though.

Post #212174117th Feb 2020 1:18 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you looked at the brake light switch as this throws up a lot of funnies

Post #212191618th Feb 2020 2:02 am
James1045

No haven't looked yet. I have a friend with a diagnostics machine that's a bit more advanced than the cheap Bluetooth one I have that is pretty useless so was going to try have a look at what errors it's throwing.guessing this is a job of just swapping and seeing if it fixes it rather than bei g able to see an issue with the switch.
If it was something like the brake switch or the epb switch, and I changed the part, would the light go out or would it need clearing to get rid of the light?
I've seen the brake switches cause issues. Do the brake pad wear sensors make the amber P light come on? It had new pads before we bought it so wondering if the sensors could have been damaged and be causing the light.

Post #212198618th Feb 2020 3:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >