DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB Fault since engine replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ConnorD3

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
EPB Fault since engine replacement

Hi everyone,
i'm a frequent consumer of advice here and never needed to ask question because i've always found the answer first but i've drawn a blank on this one.

Vehicle history;
i recently had the dreaded oil pump issues and leading to failed bottom end, i sourced a replacement (running 2nd hand) engine and swapped all ancillaries to my original to avoid any electrical issues my method was if it had a plug on it put the original back on the engine.

Current situation;
everything is back together and running fine but my EPB is showing amber (instantly when switching on ignition (self test sequence)) and a message saying parking brake fault. the EPB works as normal, auto releases etc but does not auto apply when removing the key (it used to).

I have also noticed that if driving on cruise control and clutch is pressed it rev's up instead of cutting out the cruise as it should (again it used to).

The only fault code i have is for the EPB module and code C1A55-64 and relates to ignition signal, ive changed fuse 40 and 41 as per the wiring diagrams but no difference.

I've tried the XY calibration several times but no change, gears are showing on display instantly, reverse sensors etc working correctly.

I first thought clutch switch but EPB auto release and manual release when pressing clutch are working. i cant see it being the EPB module or wiring on the rear section of the car as it all worked ok before.

Like i say i'm at a loss now so looking for help.
Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Post #217544222nd Sep 2020 8:46 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sounds like you have air in the clutch hydraulics. Bleed the clutch again preferably using a large capacity pressurised bleed system. Periodically operate the pedal with the nipple open on both pedal strokes, (you'll need to lift the pedal back to the normal position after each down stroke) use an immersed drain hose to avoid air being drawn back in via the nipple.

Keep doing it until no more bubbles are present and then recalibrate the clutch. Alternatively, you could try reverse bleeding back to the reservoir. Thumbs Up

I had a similar issue recently and it took 5 ltrs of fluid through the system before all air was expelled, and the fault could be erased. Rolling Eyes
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217550523rd Sep 2020 3:15 am
ConnorD3

Thanks for the reply,

Thats an interesting thought, although the clutch hydraulics haven't been disconnected. The engine came through the front.

The odd thing is if i clear the codes it instantly detects "Park Brake Fault" like something isn't connected but it must be to be working.

I believe from the wiring diagrams that the clutch switch is connected directly to the EPB module.

Its as if the EPB / Clutch isn't detecting engine speed but surly that would show other faults relating to that?

Post #217552923rd Sep 2020 8:35 am
PROFSR G

OK, well if you haven't disconnected the hydraulics it's unlikely to be the source of the fault, but you could probably do with changing the fluid in the clutch anyway. Whistle

Beyond that, have a look at the block terminal on the nearside rear chassis rail and inspect carefully the cables. Remember though if you disconnect the terminal you will have to recalibrate the suspension.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217560023rd Sep 2020 1:12 pm
ConnorD3

Will it need calibrating even if in sleep mode and disconnect battery?

Post #217560123rd Sep 2020 1:14 pm
PROFSR G

If you unplug it then yes, it matters not whether the system is asleep or the presence of the battery. If you have an IID it's not an issue using the "guided calibration" and takes about 10 mins or so.

To begin with visually inspect the wires in and out of the block terminal looking for chaffed, weak or broken cables. It's less common for there to be corrosion inside the terminal itself. Take your time and wipe the muck off each cable using a cloth soaked in white spirit or similar.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217560723rd Sep 2020 1:26 pm
ConnorD3

ok thanks for that. id be surprised though if that is the problem, the EPM was working fine before the engine was removed and came up with the error message as soon as ignition switched on with new engine fitted.

im thinking maybe gearbox wiring loom or something? although the gear selection is working ok and the high low selection etc.

Post #217562223rd Sep 2020 2:02 pm
PROFSR G

I see your point, but if it's of any help I've had two D3's with this problem this year. One being my own after a body off for gearbox, engine, and suspension rebuild. In my case it was the presence of air in the system even though the bleed line was clear of bubbles. I had to pressure bleed on both the down and up stroke of the pedal to expel the incredible amount of air. This was causing issues with the EPB release switch in the clutch master cylinder. Once all the air was out the EPB light extinguished by itself.

The other D3 had the same problem but not to the same extent and was rectified with a quick bleed.
Check again your harness connections on the gearbox as well as the earth strap before you start anything deeper.

By the way, I consider the EPB a pain when it applies every time you remove the key! This can be rectified by changing the settings in the module with IID so that it only applies when activated by the driver.
The benefit is that you reduce the number of cycles, and therefore hopefully reduce wear on the EPB itself.
However, if you opt to apply this setting you need to be mindful, especially when not on level ground.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217562823rd Sep 2020 2:31 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi den

Hope this finds u well Thumbs Up

May i pick ur brains plse , U know the 3 x connectors that are in the passenger side wheel arch , are these part of the EPB plse .

Was there something about them being moved after 2007/8 to behind the drivers side headlight

Could these be an issue if they haven’t been plugged back in or bad terminal etc

Many thks Thumbs Up

I’m going to get outta here before I get a spanner thrown at me , snigger

Post #217563323rd Sep 2020 3:06 pm
PROFSR G

Hiya Gary,

Hope all is well with you. Are you referring to the suspension cables which were changed from MY 07 to the location behind the nsf headlight?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217564423rd Sep 2020 3:50 pm
gstuart

Hi den

slowly but surely getting there , many thks mate

Yes there the ones, think it was 3 x connector blocks, couldn’t remember what they all did and indeed where connectors have been moved to behind the headlight

Was just curious if any of these connectors are EPB related

Yeh i know , need to get out more, Laughing just always find things like this interesting

Thks again Thumbs Up

Post #217565823rd Sep 2020 4:16 pm
ConnorD3

Also to add mine is a 57 plate (8a vin).

All the front slam panel and connections were disconnected to get the engine out of the front.

Post #217572723rd Sep 2020 8:06 pm
gstuart

Hi @conner

Hope u didn’t mind me asking about the connectors , @prof G is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the discos , I just wondered if they had been moved

Fingers crossed is a simple fix Thumbs Up

Post #217576323rd Sep 2020 10:43 pm
ConnorD3

No problem at all, any suggestions are good suggestions at this point.

When the engine came out of the front the gearbox loom got a little caught (i didn't realise it went behind the cross over pipe) and pulled slightly. I know the EPB works closely with the transmission and clutch but everything else seems to be working ok on that front, although when i tried to calibrate the clutch it said it couldnt and loggend a DTC? Maybe its the reason foe the cruise not knowing when the clutch is pressed bit the EPB does know when its pressed?

Post #217578924th Sep 2020 8:38 am
PROFSR G

Ahha! Now you might be on to something there. Do you have a GAP IID? If so you can go into live values and see what gearbox components are available to monitor. (cant remember Rolling Eyes ) You can also watch the clutch pedal switch depression 0 - 100%.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217582724th Sep 2020 1:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >