DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB Module Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
EPB Module Replacement

Click image to enlarge

My EPB module is cream crackered.So I bought a secondhand unit from a breakers in Birmingham with the intentions of having a go myself with the aid of GTR docs.Arrived yesterday , but they have cut the L & R cables leading to the rear hubs leaving the Emergency release cable intact.No big deal I thought , I'll get two replacement cables and fix it up.Removed the 8 or so screws from the front panelso to let me refix the cable ends into the housing. But discovered its nigh on impossible as its a sealed unit and the lid has been sealed shut underneath with Censored off strength silicone.
So I called a chappy in Waterford who has some knackered modules to see if he had ever managed to remove the lid on any.Never did but is going to give it a go on one he has tonight.

I called my dealers service manager and asked him does the unit come with hub cables intact and he confirmed it did.But he has seen one or two insitu on some vehicles on which he was servicing the EPB module without the lid/front plate on .He also confirmed that the cables up until a few months ago weren't available seperately .So taking into account they are available now it means that its possible to replace them individually & there must be a clever way to remove the coverplate/lid etc without ripping your fingernails off in the process ( theres only a few mm's of the lid to get a grip on)

Anyone any ideas , apply a solution to the silicone seal to weaken it ?

I have used vinegar ( acetic acid) on daubs of silicone previously making it more brittle and easier to remove, but dont want to risk it leaking into the housing and corroding anything inside.

Post #4322033rd Mar 2009 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DW, there is a product in DIY stores that comes in tubes the similar size n shape of toothpaste tubes. Its a brown paste that breaks down all Silicones that plumbers and pipeworkers use. I think its made by DOW CORNING. I will have a looky for you sir Thumbs Up

I just was told last week by my dealers that this was replaced on mine, thought it was a little thing TBH. My EPB was reluctant to release and needed a bit of oomph to release. All fine now though. Thumbs Up

Post #4322233rd Mar 2009 6:37 pm
Wex

Appreciate that Jason , thanks.

I hope I don't have to use it , I'd hare on down to the dealers and see what tips they have but it might be cheeky asking advice on a DIY job that they quoted me nigh on 1k to do.

Post #4322243rd Mar 2009 6:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsession...button.y=5

found this one on screw fix, or there is one on the DOW CORNING web site. I bought one tube from builders Merchants. It removes cured silicone sealant no probs by breaking it down to its original state.

This is the one I have used and is top quality

http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=66&pt=ancillary

Post #4322253rd Mar 2009 6:43 pm
Wex

Thanks again Jason.I had alook in one of the chain stores last night and they only had the tube type as you described above.My problem is that the front cover of the epb lips down over its main body.Only the excess silicone ( a few mm's) is visible around the lip.I've no idea how much silicone is used after this.So I'd possibly be looking for a solution that I could syringe in as far as possible to reach as much as I can.But thanks Thumbs Up

Anyone ever witnessed a new EPB being installed ? Is the cover siliconed in as one of the final parts of the installation ?

Post #4326384th Mar 2009 1:20 pm
Wex

Bump

Post #4327094th Mar 2009 3:15 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't know the answer DW but if the silicon was part of the installation, wouldn't it be in the GTR fitting reference? If it's important, it seems like one hell of a step to miss from the documents...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4327294th Mar 2009 4:29 pm
Wex

Certainly would be.The GTR doc I have is for the module replacement , perhaps I'll have a look again tonight to see if theres a doc specifically for cable replacement alone.

Post #4327424th Mar 2009 5:05 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DW, I've found a "cutaway creations" picture of the parking brake actuator. The knurled collars that the lh and rh cables go through looks like they have a nut moulded onto them. It looks like that nut unscrews the collar.You can't see any evidence of a cable join internal to the box; so the joining magic must happen under that knurled collar rather than inside the unit...see here
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #4327494th Mar 2009 5:35 pm
MacLeod 313

Thats a great link there, sure DW will be happy with that as thats clear as day. Well done, and maybe worth asking DW to get that pic into the WIKI for future use Thumbs Up

Post #4328464th Mar 2009 8:08 pm
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have changed my EPB unit as i did the same as you and broke it

The L/H cable unscrews when you remove the outer sleeve

The R/H cable if you look inside has a white plastic clip.Lift the tabs up on the clip and this will slide up the cable then the cable is slotted on...The white clip just stops it

If you require more info PM me and i will go into detail with some pictures

Post #4328964th Mar 2009 8:58 pm
Wex

Bow down

Brilliant lads . Thumbs Up Thumbs Up stapldm , Jason & Matt & TFC

Matt , I havent the unit with me , I'm on the road , once I have I'll check it out and will PM if I'm stuck.

I've got to replace this for TFC's visit and if time allows I'll see if I can picture each stage .

Post #4330394th Mar 2009 10:56 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have some great internal pics of the EPB ..unfortunatly won't be home till Friday morning. If there any use I will post them when I get back.

They come from a LR training cd .. So pucker pics
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #4330584th Mar 2009 11:26 pm
Wex

Cheers ,Chuck them up on the Wiki Adrian Thumbs Up

Post #4330944th Mar 2009 11:47 pm
Wex

Turns out the module I got from breakers was one of the older versions that doesn't allow renewing on any of the three cables.Its now got a new home in a ditch.

So ordered a new one from Nick.

Thanks to the sitemember who mailed me the PDF's.I'd have been stuck under a D3 for the weekend f 'in & blindin , top man Thumbs Up

Post #4334145th Mar 2009 6:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >