Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jkp

Scotland 
EPB problem

The D3 developed a problem when playing in the mud a couple of weekends ago. I've done a search and can find plenty of reference to park brake + muddy water/ water/ mud = not good.

When i stop and apply the park brake, sometmes it's okay, others sound like a cat getting it's knackers lobbed off and then it refuses to disengage. I have to kill the ignition and restart the car to get it too work. All a pain in the ass at a set of lights when i forget to leave it well alone.

Anyway, is there anything I can do about this on my own, such as clean or grease something, or is it a trip to the dealers?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Post #14872716th Apr 2007 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Presume you've checked the actual EPB park shoes? Is the noise coming from the rear?
I caught a stone in the rear at Boughrood and with Slimers advice, backed up a few feet and out it popped.

Also had a problem with mine about a month ago with a screeching sound when i released the EPB. Was fixed by the stealer under TSB no: LA206-002 (Rear Brake Noise) and refers to VIN: 5A300167-6A357844
Summary :
A customer may report a concern of a squeal or clicking noise, or of excessive brake dust coming from one or both of the rear brake hubs.
Cause : The electronic parking brake, brake shoe retaining clip has become dislodged or has broken, leading to the above complaint.
Action : Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin.
Parts Required: Parking brake service kit SFS500012
Labour Time: Renew rear parking brake shoes 70.40.09 1.50 hours
Service Instruction

I apparently also had a problem with an actuator for the EPB, which the stealer told me about when i went to pick up the car at 5 pm.....

Post #14872816th Apr 2007 8:22 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Have you tried the cable reset John?

Make sure you are on the flat ! Now there are two ways of doing this ...the manual states that you should remove the rubber coin tray to the left of the gearstick and pop out the cover underneath with a screwdriver....the other way of accessing it is via the plastic covering plate behind the EPB lever ...pop either off and you should find a steel cable with a loop on the end ..give that a tug with a screwdriver or wrench until you hear a click Wink This manually resets the EPB module mechanism Wink If this doesn't do the trick then its a visit to the dealers Sad
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14873816th Apr 2007 8:40 pm
jkp

Scotland 

DG I'll give that a go. It's not squealing on the move, I had that problem fixed about 9 months ago. It's just when i'm stopped and apply it. As heard on numerous occasions at Boughrood.

It's also not all the time. Sometimes it applies with a click and no issues.

Although sounds like a trip to the dealers...sometime. Service is due in the next few months, so I'll maybe wait depends if it gets any better or not.

Thanks, John

Post #14875716th Apr 2007 9:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thats exactly the same as mine. Its a common issue I'm afraid. Mine is also afflicted. The dealer has had to replace my epb gubbins 3 times in 73k miles. I have a letter into CS at the moment asking them what the out of warranty situation will be on a fully dealer maintained car.

Don't mess about, get it into the dealer asap and get it sorted and recorded.

Post #14876416th Apr 2007 9:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >