Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 36 <123 ... 181920 ... 343536>
Karmann141

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Read the remainder of posts that night and confidence grew.

TIP THREE – Best access and only access if you have a Locker diff is from the spare wheel well.

Obviously remove the spare wheel. The EPB backing plate has to be removed, clear all air lines etc and the unit can be laid flat, even tilted backwards a bit. This made unjamming very easy, I held the unit steady with one hand while a friend was able to tap the brass rod forward (lying flat) with a long flat bladed screw driver and hammer. Luckily it unjammed with one relatively light hit. Then about an hour to slowly wind back the brass bar by hand with a small flat screw driver. NB it needed to be wound back all the way to relatch in my case.

The rest is well covered. All works better than before, can hardly hear the EPB being applied or released now after greasing the shaft.

Very satisfying repair and saved a truck load of $. I will certainly be adjusting my EPB brake shoes regularly and it shouldn’t happen again. Very Happy

Thanks again for all the posts. Good Luck Thumbs Up

PS Disco Mikey – still have no idea how you unjam the brass rod with Excalibur – maybe you can post a few more pics.

Post #166621212th Jun 2016 2:17 am
minstrel in the disco3

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
If anyone needs any clarification on any steps, let me know, and I will do my best to explain, and hopefully update the 1st post. It makes sense to me, but I have done this repair enough to make sense to me Embarassed

hi mike
my D3 wouldnt start this pm and showed epb amber light next to red followed by fault msge
disconnected battery to clear.still no,went and had tea came back starts wtf.
so to be clear the noise when brakes are being pulled is the mechanism,what im hearing is a racket like cables are being strangled and eventually the brake does work.incidently does the clutch have to be depressed before startup can be done as this happened to me today

Post #168043713th Jul 2016 7:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Can all members please re-read my first post . No advice will be given on unjamming by phone any more, due to the volume of calls received. It's not a difficult guide to follow. If you can't manage it, or can't work out what way "down" is, get it to a garage and let them deal with it

If calls persist, the guide will be removed without notice
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #168103115th Jul 2016 9:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
orkneydave

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Can anyone recommend a garage in Cumbria to do this?

Having had a look and deciding that I couldn't do this (no access to lift and screws somewhat corroded on) I think it would be better and easier to let someone else have a go! I had asked my independent garage here whilst in for a service but they didn't want to open the module (spouting some nonsense about liability Evil or Very Mad ) and I head off on the ferry tomorrow on holiday.

I'm will be staying in Kirkby Lonsdale all next week (overnighting in Glasgow on the way down and back) so looking for recommendations for an independent in the area that will do this for me.

Any ideas greatly appreciated Thumbs Up
 Dave Neil
2018 Outlander PHEV
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S (went up in flames)
1972 Series 3 109 200tdi (@alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (in bits) 

Post #168107415th Jul 2016 12:41 pm
DerrekL

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I have tried following Disco Mikey's brilliant in depth guide to fix squealing epb.. but what do you think I am doing wrong here... what I have done so far...

1) cleaned & adjusted epb shoes - done the 8 clicks for correct adjustment - both sides... pulled on epb brake switch from centre console but squealing oh so much but the thing is the hand brake did go on, but wont release, in order for me to release it I have to switch off car, then switch on ignition then with brake pedal pushed in I can then push down on epb switch on centre console and brakes seems to release fine (so in other words I do not have to use the emergency release under the centre console).

2) reversed back up onto ramps to access epb module, got cover off, wound back the spline, at this point I think it is latched on OK, drove off ramps then proceeded to adjust both sides of rear brakes again then tried the epb switch, but I heard the mechanism spinning for a few seconds then it started squealing again.

3) I have now wound back the spline within the epb module again, but not 100% sure what to try next?

Possibly strip brakes down again to see if there is a brake cable NOT connected.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great at this stage.
I have added some pictures of module after I have wound it back. Is this the correct starting point?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #16871621st Aug 2016 8:32 pm
blackdog1

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

[quote="Disco_Mikey"]Nope. All units were left fitted to the car, and repaired in place Thumbs Up[/quote ] Good info as always. Thumbs Up

Post #16874622nd Aug 2016 5:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Newks

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3

So going to have a go at this myself tomorrow as actuator is making a horrible noise after replacing discs pads and shoes, and doing the shoe adjustment following the "bible". might sound like a stupid question but do I have to strip down the rear brakes and shoes before carrying out the un jam process? Just thought I'd ask as I've not done it before and was hoping to get the thing up on a set of car ramps to get underneath it but that might be a problem when the rear brakes have been stripped!

Cheers in advance

Post #16882034th Aug 2016 11:56 am
Newks

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Done today using this post, cured the brake fault so now have a working epb, cheers to Mike for putting this up and also a cheers to bodsy for the brake bible.

I'm now a happy boy again, well until the next time it all goes tits!!

Cheers guys

Post #16887305th Aug 2016 5:25 pm
DerrekL

United Kingdom 

Eventually got it all working... no more mental squealing when I apply epb. thanks again to Disco Mikey/Bodsy for detailed steps. Thumbs Up

Post #169326717th Aug 2016 10:37 pm
trots

New Zealand 2013 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
TIP FOUR

If you're attacking from the spare wheel well, after removing the bracket and torx screws, spin the box through 90 degrees so the bottom is facing you at the back of the car. You can then use the two 1" round 'feet' as leverage points to pry the cover off with.

Last edited by trots on 20th Sep 2016 10:39 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #17003104th Sep 2016 8:29 am
Mambosasa

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Thank you all. You guys have just saved me a huge amount of money. It took a garage near me about two hours to sort it out. This is after careful instructions based on this thread.

Thank you all.
 D4 HSE all the way

Post #170596914th Sep 2016 8:54 pm
alski

Northern Ireland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Cheers to Mike for sharing - Invaluable Thumbs Up

and also a big thanks to Bodsy for the Brake Bible - gives us keen amateurs extra confidence....

Post #176818024th Jan 2017 2:29 pm
Roidster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just used this and got mine working as normal again. Awesome guide (with the now infamous bodsy's brake bible) thanks for taking the time!
 2005 Discovery 3 HSE
(RLD Wheel Protector, Altox FBH Remote, IID Tool) Viscous Fan spanner’s Available to lend

Audi Q2 1.4 TFSi Edition #1 (SWMBO's)

Previous:

BMW E60 M5 5.0 V10
BMW 330Ci Sport Convertible 

Post #178368725th Feb 2017 7:26 pm
Guillaume77

France 

Hello

During a recent roadtrip I feel that a rear brake was locked smell brake pad burn and very hot...
So I decided to remove the rear brake and what the hell on the handbrake shoes Shocked one pad on each side is completely out of service with small pieces of pad...
Pads were never replaced and never used at all with 260k mileage.

Now it's time to change the handbrake pads to solve this problem BUT one cable is not in "maintenance" position (see pictures).

At that time the rear brake are completely dismantle and I would like to know how to release the handbrake cables to insert the new pads.
The EPB maintenance procedure should release the cable (3 times on the brake pedal then 3-5 sec to push the handbrake button) ?!

Thank you guys

Post #179069413th Mar 2017 10:46 am
Roidster

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Your only hope is to follow this thread to gain entry into the EPB module and look at the winding mechanism. yours looks wound in on one side but not the other. from inside, you can hopefully re-attach the mechanism and wind them both out ready for mounting.
 2005 Discovery 3 HSE
(RLD Wheel Protector, Altox FBH Remote, IID Tool) Viscous Fan spanner’s Available to lend

Audi Q2 1.4 TFSi Edition #1 (SWMBO's)

Previous:

BMW E60 M5 5.0 V10
BMW 330Ci Sport Convertible 

Post #179092113th Mar 2017 7:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 19 of 36 <123 ... 181920 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >