Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

espri - Snow arrived, Arctic Frost not yet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
espri - Snow arrived, Arctic Frost not yet

Yesterday and today the first snows of winter arrived here, a few inches and more on its way. With the excitement of the new snow, my nerve broke, so this morning I ordered my own Arctic Frost to go with the snow, a TDV6 HSE automatic. Delivery February or March. I guess I'll have to be patient until then!

In the meantime, here is a picture of my trusty VW Caravelle, to get you all into winter mood:

The VW bus has served me very well over the past six years and should run up 300000 kms before Christmas. I thought that the motto on the chapel beside the car was appropriate: Ora et Labora - I'm praying now that the Disco will be as reliable as the VW and now I'm going to have to work to pay for it!

Eric

Post #2854919th Nov 2005 9:26 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Congratulations on your order, I knew you would Wink 8) Arctic Frost
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2855119th Nov 2005 9:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: Snow arrived, Arctic Frost not yet

espri wrote:
Yesterday and today the first snows of winter arrived here, a few inches and more on its way. With the excitement of the new snow, my nerve broke, so this morning I ordered my own Arctic Frost to go with the snow, a TDV6 HSE automatic. Delivery February or March. I guess I'll have to be patient until then!

In the meantime, here is a picture of my trusty VW Caravelle, to get you all into winter mood:

The VW bus has served me very well over the past six years and should run up 300000 kms before Christmas. I thought that the motto on the chapel beside the car was appropriate: Ora et Labora - I'm praying now that the Disco will be as reliable as the VW and now I'm going to have to work to pay for it!

Eric

What beautiful scenery, I am envious.

Post #2855219th Nov 2005 9:59 pm
Desarzens

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

During my drive test of a fantastic TDV6 HSE, I came across this poor guy who was obviously driving a bit to fast with his small Citroen... Couold not resis to take a picture with my phone Embarassed

Must say that the Disco, despite being fitted with summer tyres, behaved very well.... so could not resist and ordered one with the same delivery time as yours espri... Laughing

Post #3038830th Nov 2005 1:33 pm
espri

I can sympathise with the guy! Just last Monday I slid off the road in my VW Caravelle (syncro with 4wd) Embarassed It was on a perfectly innocuous corner, just a kilometre from my home. In general there was no snow on the road but here it had drifted. Somehow I managed to get my near-side wheels in a rut and couldn't get back onto road proper. I decided in the end, as I felt the back breaking out as I gave more power, just to come to a stop and start all over again.

Then, even with the differential lock enabled, I wasn't able to drive straight back onto the road. However, backing a little got me going again without any further complications and no damage done.

I guess I took the corner too fast. The car behind me ended up in the same situation but he may have just taken the safe way out, when he saw me getting into difficulties.

It certainly was a learning experience and took off my face the superior grin that I'd had looking at pictures on television rather like yours. Never having done anything like that before, I had convinced myself that, driven steadily, the VW bus with its four-wheel drive would take me through virtually anything. However, it looks as though the laws of physics apply to me too Sad

Or is the Caravelle trying to tell me something? Since I ordered the Disco, not only did I have that shock but last week the handbrake seized on and I had to call the ADAC to get me mobile again. Could it be that the Caravelle is sulking, the jilted lover? Laughing

Eric

Post #3055830th Nov 2005 11:54 pm
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

espri wrote:
However, it looks as though the laws of physics apply to me too Sad
One of the first things that someone told me when I got a 4x4 Discovery TDi was to remember that 4 wheel drive gets you moving, but it won't help when you are sliding along on snow/ice (whilst probably travelling faster than everyone else because your 4 wheel drive enabled you to speed up). 
Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #305721st Dec 2005 12:43 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Good point CC, its worth remembering that while Disco's have the best 4 wheel drive system available, all cars have a similar 4 wheel stop system - brakes.

Post #305751st Dec 2005 12:56 am
espri

Yes, that was the sliding feeling I had!

Post #305761st Dec 2005 1:00 am
BN

England 

Easy guys, you simply don't use your brakes in winter conditions. Use your head and eyes, it is much safer. Don't be a late braker or drive up someones backside. See its easy.

Too fast, Too close Too late, Oh dear insurance claim at the very least and as from today if the police are called to any crash you will breath tested your fault or not.

Post #305811st Dec 2005 8:30 am
Tonyrec

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

BN wrote:

Too fast, Too close Too late, Oh dear insurance claim at the very least and as from today if the police are called to any crash you will breath tested your fault or not.

Its meant to be done in every RTC all during the year.......although in reality its not.

Post #306301st Dec 2005 4:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >