DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

P0171 and P0174
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ScotInNewMex

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
P0171 and P0174

hello all,

I'm asking for some guidance on fault finding. I got these two codes the other week, P0171 and P0174, I reset them but after roughly 50 miles they came back. I checked the air filter is blocked, retightend the hose clamps on the inlet tube, and even did a redneck vacuum leak test ( cigar and huffing and puffing!!), no leaks, I cleaned the MAS, and the throttle body looks clean. So, is there a differnt tree to bark up?, I have an Elmscan 5 ODB tool, it gives basic info, however if someone knows what logs or freeze frame data to look at that would be great, also I did a search for a vacuum hose schematic on the forum but no luck. Oh and no there is no drop in engine performance and the gas I have in the LR3 is the same as I use in the CFO's car and that is running fine. Confused ... thanks in advance...
 Exiled Scotsman
2005 LR3 HSE
POD trailer brake controller, 4 and 7 trailer plug harness fitted 

Post #171212328th Sep 2016 1:29 pm
ScotInNewMex

cheeky wee bump... Wink
 Exiled Scotsman
2005 LR3 HSE

Post #17170758th Oct 2016 5:48 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I hear it might be a needing an update that also takes care of those 2 codes.
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #17171168th Oct 2016 6:52 pm
ScotInNewMex

oh do tell..... Smile
 Exiled Scotsman
2005 LR3 HSE

Post #17171368th Oct 2016 7:10 pm
lowwill

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Any word on this update? Is that something the iid gap tool can do?

Post #172448725th Oct 2016 8:37 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I sometimes get these as well. Read somewhere that it could be the MAP sensor, but mine seems to be reading ok. Which update is it?

Post #172483726th Oct 2016 1:19 pm
ScotInNewMex

lowwill wrote:
Any word on this update? Is that something the iid gap tool can do?

From what I've found out there is a TSB on it, but I don't know if it is a dealer only update. I'm dealing with the dreaded fuel gauge connection issue and I still have the P codes, I'll investigate the tsb further once I get my gauge sorted
 Exiled Scotsman
2005 LR3 HSE

Post #172531227th Oct 2016 11:54 am
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've got an intermittent fuel gauge as well Laughing Share the cure when you get it Thumbs Up

Post #172533227th Oct 2016 12:30 pm
ScotInNewMex

If I get a chance today I'm going to check the two connectors at the rear of the front right wheel arch ( behind the plastic liner ) and I'll let you know!!... along with the P codes, replacing the suspension compressor, the front shocks, the alternator and the battery all since buying it in June Shocked I'm kind of Censored off with it Big Cry Sad Confused
 Exiled Scotsman
2005 LR3 HSE

Post #172535327th Oct 2016 1:24 pm
lowwill

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Ok cool. Not sure but ever since I did the gap tool update no more light. Possible

Post #173449515th Nov 2016 5:39 pm
kels83

United States 2006 LR3 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

ScotInNewMex wrote:
If I get a chance today I'm going to check the two connectors at the rear of the front right wheel arch ( behind the plastic liner ) and I'll let you know!!... along with the P codes, replacing the suspension compressor, the front shocks, the alternator and the battery all since buying it in June Shocked I'm kind of Censored off with it Big Cry Sad Confused

I went through a similar experience, want to share the solution. At 125K I thought I'd do some preventative maintenance and got a Delphi MAF and O2 sensors. Swapped them out and all was good for about 2 weeks. Then came the P0174 code followed by the P0171 about a week later so I started hunting down solutions after the kid went down... felt like a zombie mechanic out under the hood in the dark so many nights. Took the LR3 in to get reprogrammed, faults came back. I bought a smoke machine kit, no leaks I could tell. A different shop said it was a bad MAF so replaced it again, faults came back. Different shop said the MAF was not correct and among other things a petrol test. Two things came up:
1) the fuel at my local station tested at 20% ethanol, so they drained it and filled up with fuel with 0% ethanol. It hurt paying some dude $110 an hour to go fill up the tank, and they threw in a nice lecture about how luxury vehicles (they also work on Astons and Bentlys) don't like any ethanol. The lecture was free.
2) they said the installed MAF was made in Taiwan and they wanted to put a factory Delphi back in. This is a 2 minute swap and I'm not paying to do it a second time. I immediately ordered a replacement from Amazon and overnighted it.

Faults came back about a day later, just before the Delphi MAF was delivered. I dropped in the new MAF, cleared codes with my little ELM ODBII reader... but noticed the Delphi MAF came with screws that were identical to the ones I installed... torx with a little pin right in the middle so it required their special adapter (also included in the MAF). These screws weren't getting tight, no matter how long I tightened them. Well, the same faults came up AGAIN. I suspected the screws were letting air into the throttle body, so I pulled the housing off and examined. SON OF A... one of the screws sunk all the way through the housing and was letting unmetered air directly into the throttle body! The Delphi-supplied screws also seemed to leave some wiggle room in the MAF so air was probably entering around the sensor itself. Isn't this supposed to be the factory equipment for my Landy???

The final fix was to remove the MAF, went to the local hardware store to find 2 high grade hex screws in a size just slightly larger than the Delphi-supplied screws. I think it was an M4 or M6 in 1/2 inch long, I don't quite remember. I also pulled out the plastic housing with the MAF and filled the hole with black Permatex high-tem silicon from the inside out. Lastly, I installed the new, larger diameter screws with the Permatex on all threads and it tightened up much tighter than before.

Finally, I cleared the error codes with my cheapo ODBII and threw away those stupid Delphi-supplied screws that had been screweing me instead of the effin sensor for 6 months. My ecu didn't require any programming, those codes are gone, TRIM reads healthy, running much better and got about an extra 2 miles per gallon Smile

BOTH of the Delphi MAF had the faulty screws, when I preventatively installed the first one I must have swapped out the factory screws and created this whole mess for myself Big Cry . But the Delphi I ordered from Amazon also came with the screws and so did the Delphi MAF from the mechanic so this could be a common problem in the US (im in Texas). These faulty screws are packaged with the OEM replacement part. If you're still having this problem 1) check to see if the MAF screws fully tighten 2) check if the ducting has been punctured through under either MAF screw, 3) fill up with fuel system treatment and non-ethanol gas.

Post #17589406th Jan 2017 1:22 pm
Msggunny

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Any updates to the OP? Mine just threw the code P0171. Trouble shooting it now, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Post #177225431st Jan 2017 9:17 pm
kels83

United States 2006 LR3 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

My codes still have not returned after months, not even temporary faults. SO I feel I found my fix. The expert shop I went to kept monitoring the long term fuel trim levels after adding gas and a de-watering agent. Many code readers let you read live fuel trims, I just don't recall what the normal values should be.

Post #17725591st Feb 2017 3:57 pm
ScotInNewMex

I just changed the screws on the MAF... noticed mine is a Denso... it did have a little wiggle on it... I will clear the codes and hope that takes care of it. You mentioned gas having high ethanol content, the max I have seen in southern NM is 15%, the gas station I use says the max they get is 10%.
 Exiled Scotsman
2005 LR3 HSE

Post #179705928th Mar 2017 8:24 pm
ScotInNewMex

So codes reset, MIL back on after 19 miles.... Rolling Eyes
 Exiled Scotsman
2005 LR3 HSE

Post #179732029th Mar 2017 2:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top