Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Expedition virgins looking to do Pyrenees - any advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Andy Foster wrote:
And speaking of water this may sound stupid but have a think about putting the tent up and down in the rain.

Not stupid at all.

Get a tent that erects outer (fly-sheet) first. Or better still, one that has inner and outer attached and goes up in one go Thumbs Up

(but that eliminates large family-style tents...unless you speak to Ray about getting a Helsport Femund Thumbs Up Which has the added advantage of being 3-4 season; very stable and strong; light for the size; small pack size for the style of tent)
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #76615323rd Feb 2011 9:06 pm
BournevilleBazza

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Was at the Caravan/Camping show yesterday and have come back to a wealth of information from everyone so thanks for that!!

Taken the plunge and put the deposit down on an Oztent RV4 with a tagalong tent for the kids, seemed like such a good idea and easy to at least get something weatherproof for the kids while I stagger round in driving wind and rain pegging it down!

Also bought 3 lightweight camp beds for the kids, again seemed a brilliant idea. Oh and a camping Gaz stove with the grill under so i'll never be more than a few minutes from beans on toast!

The advice you have given here is great, we are going to do a couple of camping trips in UK before we go and try everything out.

Lee, fantastic offer of a lend of a fridge! What is it and how big is it? Not that i'm fussy just making sure everything fits.

Oh and don't worry, the kids have already got their jobs!!
Thumbs Up
 If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!
2010 Discovery TDV6 HSE with a few bits and bobs on.
1986 V8 90 County
2012 Evoque TD4 (for the Mrs) and really VERY pleased!
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #76633224th Feb 2011 10:18 am
JF Lux

BuckinghamBazza wrote:
Taken the plunge and put the deposit down on an Oztent RV4

When you get it, put it up in the garden then spray it with the hose pipe to simulate rain...then take it down, pack it and then try and lift it for packing in the D3 / on the rack... Whistle (hence why I don't have a canvas-based Oz tent in Europe... Wink )

BuckinghamBazza wrote:
and a camping Gaz stove with the grill under

Try this out over the weekend whilst the weather is still cold-ish. I have always been wary of the efficiency and performance of these types of cookers. And ambient temperature impacts them a lot (especially the gas mix - it doesn't like cold weather). The Campingaz cooker I have is a different design to these double burners and is ok but I still prefer my Primus Optimus Muti-Fuel burners (especially as the Primus gas mixture is produced by a company based in cold Scandinavia Wink ) But you should be okay for the Pyrenees with this burner Thumbs Up And the gas canisters are widely available.

Its a good feeling to go buying kit, isn't it Thumbs Up Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #76633524th Feb 2011 10:34 am
BournevilleBazza

It's a great feeling!

Thing is we have a holiday home already, the kind with walls and central heating and TV and hot shower etc, so can't see us doing much cold weather camping, once we have cracked the pyrenees the next step would be North Africa when they've all stopped arguing! Wink

Going to swap my half rack in for a front runner and get a Rhino basket for the tent I think, then along with Ents kind offer we're not far off!
1986 V8 90 County
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #76634024th Feb 2011 11:01 am
JF Lux

BuckinghamBazza wrote:
so can't see us doing much cold weather camping,

Don't underestimate the temps in the Pyrenees Thumbs Up
Note the fleece's, jackets etc in this picture - taken at end of August at 1,800 meters, Spanish Pyrenees. One reason for the ruggedness on the Spanish side is that it doesn't get the same amount of sun as the French side Thumbs Up

Post #76634124th Feb 2011 11:08 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

BB, you are in my bad books. Razz You did not say Hi to me and I have been on the Boab stand all week.

There are pros and cons to all tents. I have no problem with lifting an RV4 onto the roof of a 110 Defender and I am not exactly Charles Atlas. When fastening the Oz Tent down on the roof rack/bars/basket don't use ratchet straps and go mad with them as bent poles etc can be the result!

Now putting the Foxwing away when it is raining is fun and games! Wet trousers/feet is almost guaranteed Laughing

There has been some good advice on this thread. Just ensure you buy quality gear, it normally works out cheaper in the long run.

Today was the busiest day at the show so far and Saturday is expected to be even busier. The Boab stand is at the back of hall 4 if anyone wants to say Hi over the weekend

Brendan

Post #76708225th Feb 2011 7:42 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Baz
It's a National Luna 40l, draws less than 2amps so would be fine overnight on the cranking battery set to 4 degrees C. I have the portable power pack which will run it for 4 days without starting the engine. You can get the dimensions from APB Trading or indeed NL own website.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #76710825th Feb 2011 8:47 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Pyrenees was the first long trip we did. Loved it Thumbs Up
We did it in an RV4, carried on standard roof bars.

Best advice I can give is: think carefully about the storage in the car - are you going to have to unload everything to get at the one thing you want??

We found the half height dog guard with load net zip tied on extremely useful for holding clothing etc, and to safely increase the rear capacity.

A sheet of thick mdf forming a shelf where the load cover would normally be (mine covers about 2/3 of the depth of the boot) makes it much easier to get at stuff in the boot. We put crates on the floor & all the bedding up on the shelf.

Following your trial run, work out which 50% of all the 'maybe we'll need it' stuff you can actually do without Wink

For the next long trip, I'd had enough of packing everything away so neatly, and used a long thin roofbox alongside the Oz on the roof, to hold all the chairs, table, poles, oz panels groundsheet etc etc. This made life much easier Thumbs Up
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #76721125th Feb 2011 11:31 pm
BournevilleBazza

Fantastic advice all this fellas, especially the ideas for storage in the boot etc.

Brendan, I was talking to you on the stand, just didn't know it was you sorry!! I was the big beardy lad who bought the RV4 with tagalong. You showed me how to put the tent up and down and Censored me for not keeping the legs low enough!! Whistle

Lee, fantastic offer of the fridge on loan, really good of you that, cheers.

Thumbs Up
1986 V8 90 County
Formerly BuckinghamBazza 

Post #76758226th Feb 2011 9:53 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Well BB I hope you took away one of our cards as well Razz Whistle

The Oz tent is a great bit of kit. Must admit I also like the Foxwing. If I was travelling alone I would be happy with a foxwing and the small Vango/FFelraven tent I have. Decent night just sleep under Foxwing, not so decent night in small tent with porch under foxwing Thumbs Up

Just remember your needs BB against your wants and budget.

Brendan

Post #76760826th Feb 2011 10:30 pm
fast but dim

United Kingdom 

great coice on the tent mate, i've had an rv3 for the last 3 yrs and cannot fault it.
fridge wise I'd have a good look at coleman xtreme coolboxes, http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_6270A748.html (just down the road in preston.)

I've got a 36qt one, tbh it out performs my 3 way waeco combicool fridge. you can use ice packs or bought ice. they really do keep ice for 5 days!

Have a good look at alpkit, as recommended earlier, superb gear and service at a great price.

I've no longer got my D3, I swapped it for a landcruiser Mr. Green but still see you in eccy now and again! if you've got any camping Q's drop me a pm, I'm planning a trip to the alps in july myself.

good place for a test run and camp is here:

http://www.grizedale-camping.co.uk/?Home

ideal location for loads of lanes too (the fox, high tilbethwaite, ickenthwaite etc)

if you get flashed off a silver toyota it's me!
 05 D3 tdv6 gone!!!
97 defender 90 csw
53 lc4 120 d4d. 

Post #77971228th Mar 2011 10:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >