Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Experience of Front Runner D3/D4 Drawer Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Morning '2seaterhero',

Thank you for that reminder.

Early on I did look at 4x4Direct and the only thing making me hesitate was the fact that they are a permanent installation (bolted through the bodywork so assumedly to the floor). That makes it mighty difficult without a ramp to get them out for instance when trying to transport something that is tall at short notice.

The Front Runner System is anchored and with some fiddling (according to 'Mossy' above) you can release the unit and two peeps could lift it free.

These units are a bit cheaper, especially when you consider shipping from Belgium.

As I live in South Derbyshire and these guys are 20 miles or so from me I might go and have a look later today. SWMBO always likes a visit to any form of vehicle showroom Laughing

Maybe I can report back to you. Let's see if I get done with today's chores in time.

Cheers.

EDITED:

Just seen on their web site wording:

Fitting: The drawer system is secured using the bolts from the tie downs.

Maybe this can be done from above after all - now an investigation is needed Question
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #200772610th Dec 2018 11:37 am
2seaterhero

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I'm planning on going tomorrow afternoon so yeah if you get chance today and can give feedback it might save me a journey...... if it comes to it maybe we could get a discount buying two from frontrunner ? Might be worth a wiggle Laughing

Post #200775210th Dec 2018 1:22 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Hello '2seaterhero',

I have been across to see 4x4Direct this afternoon and I will give you a quick Pros and Cons list (all my own opinions of course).

Pros: Great people to deal with (couldn't be more helpful), everything is in stock, looks and feels a quality with a very sturdy construction throughout, the single-sided 'fridge slide' option appears to be the best setup priced £1,049 (includes VAT).

Cons: The big one for me is you DO have to drill through the floorpan of the car and bolt the holding down rails from the underside of the body, the side 'wing kits' need to be cut by your own hand to fill in the gaps down the side of the unit (you basically get some oversized pieces to make your own shapes). If you are not the most skilled of jigsaw users that could look untidy (plus another £150 or so to buy them which is more cost).

The 1300 mm deep (front to back) kit means you cannot use the 2nd-row seats (I have a flat-floored Commercial so not an issue) but the smaller size is 800 mm whereupon you can keep the seats which 99% of users will want, but then the draws are much smaller.

It's a NO from me. The Front Runner Installation does not require invasive surgery and they claim an install time of 45 minutes (their literature) which means I can remove it in similar time if needs be (without laying under the vehicle in our beautiful British weather). By comparison, the 4x4Direct guys say their install is around 3-hours.

I could screw it to the composite flat floor deck used in a Commercial but you are still making unnecessary holes (in my humble opinion once again).

Santa Claus has been asked to monitor the Front Runner web site for possible New Year deals Thumbs Up

Hope that helps. Sorry for boring everyone else rigid Embarassed
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #200779810th Dec 2018 4:05 pm
2seaterhero

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Very informative, you've saved me a trip Bow down I'm not happy about bolting it through the body either, the less holes the better! I was under the impression theirs was fixed to the tiedown points. The sizing is a bit too small on the direct 4x4 800mm unit but I do like the slide bed on the top and think it will make life alot easier loading and unloading daily...... argh decisions !

Post #200784310th Dec 2018 5:55 pm
JL

Norway 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I have the front runner drawers and they are great and easy to install. I use my engine elephant lift to ease it in/out and it takes much less than 45min .

The thing is that they do take up much space , and uf using the 2 seat row you will use the remaining space for the drawers and everything you can not fit into these will have to be on top of the drawers and level with the rear window.

Post #20145902nd Jan 2019 5:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >