Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

"extra" grommet in firewall (LHD)...where is it?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
couchsachraga

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
"extra" grommet in firewall (LHD)...where is it?!

I've read through posts here, and elsewhere, and can't find the mysterious grommet through which one can run wires, etc.... For better or worse, I do have an automatic, so there SHOULD be a spare hole for the clutch return....but I can't find it! I've looked above the steering column, as well as to the right and up from the brake booster...I've found one grommet near said brake booster (above another set of wires), but it doesn't appear to go all the way through to the interior.

Any hints, or, better yet, images, would be greatly appreciated! I have quite a few wires to run...two antenna cables, 20 amp circuit for the ham radio, and the rear outlet kit from Traxide (for the fridge:) ) when my dual battery setup arrives. I'm hoping to get the radio in this weekend, so I'll have less to do when the Traxide setup arrives.

Thanks all!

Post #31283422nd Jun 2008 2:09 am
catweasel

this is the grommet location on a RHD the hole only goes through the firewall, you have to make your own in the carpet/underlay.

Post #31283722nd Jun 2008 2:45 am
couchsachraga

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Found it:)

Right after I posted I went out to ponder...and noticed a grommet near where I had been poking around is missing:)

So, it is a little different on LHD vehicles, but not much. There is a BIG grommet just below it. Here is a written description - I'll try to get an image or two tomorrow.

From the Engine Bay: Standing at the front, drivers side, open up the auxillary battery cover. You'll see the brake booster (big round object bolted to the firewall). To the immediate right, at "3 o'clock" is a 2" or so diameter grommet with a bundle of wires going through it. Above it 1.5" or so, and slighting to the "left" (towards the booster / engine) is a smaller (3/4" ?) grommet - this is the one you're looking for.

From the INSIDE - drop the panels under the steering wheel (you'll need a screwdriver for two screws IIRC), and look for that same bundle of wires (you wont' see the brake booster inside the vehicle, but you will see the brake pedal linkage (which links to the center of the booster), and the studs that help hold the booster on. From those find the wire loom that goes through the firewall. YOU WILL NOT SEE THE OTHER GROMMET YET - it is burried behind the sound proofing. You can carefully peel it back from one side, or cut it 2" or so above, and slightly to the right (inside of vehicle), right about where the material curves inwards a bit. I carefully pulled mine back from the edge, but that's just me. Once you see the grommet it's easy to pop out...just have someone grab it on the other end, or push it IN to the vehicle instead (much easier once you have the interior trimmed back appropriately).

I cut an "X" in the grommet and was able to fit lots of wires through...hopefully there will be still room for a few more. A bit of tape and it should be about as tight as the rest of the factory sealing.

Post #31283922nd Jun 2008 3:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >