DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Factory Fit Towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Factory Fit Towbar

Does anyone have a factory fit towbar on their Disco3? Did it come with N & S electrics or just N? I've been told both by different dealers

If I can't find out before submitting my order I may just get the dealer fit quick release towbar with twin electrics which seems that it'll to work out slightly cheaper anyway if I can get them to fit for free

TIA
Simon

Post #96522nd Feb 2005 10:06 pm
Ecosse

Hi - yes I have a factory fit tow bar - the "plug in" type. Electrics are hidden in a panel in the rear bumper - very neat, but only 2 small clips so not sure on durability! - there are 2 sockets provided, have only tested the standard trailer socket but assume the other must be a split charge type. Has proved very easy to fit/remove - HOWEVER bear in mind that unlike a traditional LR towbar, it is not height adjustable - so check your trailer height carefully, especially with twin axle trailers. Wink

Post #96722nd Feb 2005 10:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Alastair/Simon, a question about your towbars. I too have the plug in tow bar as you describe, with the twin electrics.

I ordered the tb with the car, but the dealer "forgot" to fit it. So after a return visit, they fitted it. When the towbar is not in use, where do you put it? My dealer says it goes in the left hand side panel in the boot. I have a panel there, but nothing in there to retain the heavy tow bracket. Is there supposed to be a clamp or something to hold the thing and stop it rattling around?

Cheers

Post #97222nd Feb 2005 11:46 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Gareth,

Sounds like you may have the dealer fit quick release version rather than the factory fit plugin version, if so there is mention of a kit for stowing it in the accessories catalog. I'd get your dealer to show you where to stow it and if it does turn out that you need the extra kit I'm sure you can persuade them to supply it for free due to their earlier forgefullness

Ecosse,

I have been considering the height issue to, the height adjustable ones are available but as they're fixed they do affect ground clearance angles at the rear. I'm going to see if I can find out what height the towball is at on the removeable options when the suspension is a 'normal' height.

Post #97323rd Feb 2005 6:39 am
Ecosse

Gareth - my factory fit towbar goes behind the left panel in the luggage area - there is a polystyrenes style moulding it fits into & is secured by a ratchet strap - nothing elaborate but quite effective. It is a heavy bit of metal so I certainly would not want it unsecured!!

Post #97423rd Feb 2005 7:12 am
Pelyma

England 

Mine is the quick release type, it has both electrical sockets, and they work Very Happy I read the brochure about the stowage compartment extra, being a tight wad I just left it down the side of the load liner, where it proceeded to gouge the interior plastic. I was rather cross when I found the proper storage place Crying or Very sad

I wasn't given a choice of tow bars, but I notice that there is a fixed one, which allows you to carry bikes whilst towing, whereas the removeable type doesn't. The dealer was surprised that it came with electrics, for £400 I really wanted it to come with a trailer!

Post #97523rd Feb 2005 8:12 am
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,

When I ordered my Disco (only a week ago) I asked if the towbar pack came with twin electrics as the 'build your vehicle' section on the Landrover website shows it as only the N type electrics.

My dealer told me that the towbar pack (for £400) does only have the N electrics and that I would have to buy the N and S type separately (over £100), therefore effectively buying the N type twice.

Seeing that it was silly to pay for the N twice my dealer told me that he would fit the N and the S types and give me the towbar for the original price (£400).

Hope this helps.

Marc

P.S. only three weeks to go until I pick it up..... and at over 2.5 tons that would be impressive Laughing

Post #97823rd Feb 2005 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
FamilyMan

I've got the multi-height towbar with bike carrier. Oddly though the towbars height becomes fixed once your installed the bike carrier saddle so it's rides quite low. The multiheight towbar doesn't come with any electrics unless you specify them and that has to be the N/S kit. Both the towbar and electrics are listed in the standard LR D3 pricelist. Both items can be retro-fitted by the dealer and probably will be anyway.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #98323rd Feb 2005 9:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >