Page 2 of 2 <12
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Damn their eyes - maybe they just disable it on all their SPVs/smartphones

Post #60911st Jul 2005 5:05 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Factory Fitted Phone Kit

Ddint want to start a new thread on phones, so thought I would post this comment here - sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Car went into dealer today as it was booked in to have the factory PTI fitted. When I arrived I was told they would not recomend having it fitted as it was no better than a phone charger, the functionality promised in the brochure just isnt there and so at £800+ it is quite an expensive phone cradle and charger. To support this they told me the story of woe re a RRS where they had to refund the owner his money becouse they were embarassed by it all. I was told it is working on the 2006 HSE as it is factory fit (why that should make a difference), but retrofitting is problematic.

Instead they have offered me an aftermarket BT kit (not LR) and they will fit at cost because they said "we should be able to sort this and it's our fault we cant offer the listed option).

Reading this thread it seems some of you have had successful installs - is my dealer just being a bit careful?
Shocked
Cheers

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #857126th Jul 2005 11:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

Mossy, basically (if you don't feel like browsing/searching around here and other forums for more "history") there are two PTI/Bluetooth implementations. The "factory" version and the "dealer install" kit version. The dealer version is less functional (virtually no integration, beyond voice control). The "factory" version can not be retrofitted. Neither one is state-of-the-art, but the factory system (if you have a cradle compatible phone) isn't too bad.

Yes, it's a dumb design... they should have designed the full PTI system to be modular and dealer-installable. This way they'd have one less factory option to deal with. Confused

Post #859226th Jul 2005 5:18 pm
Mossy

Thanks Grommet. Dealer told me that they do not recommend either installs and are actually fitting me some third-party Bluetooth product product. It basically mutes the radio when there's a call and there's a button I can press (I am assuming) to take or drop a call. As far as I am aware, there is no Landrover connection with the phone kit other than the fact they are fitting it.

I agree with you regarding the modular idea. What's most annoying is that the dealership seems clueless and as the car's been booked in for two weeks to have the phone system fitted you thought they would have flagged up the problem. Equally annoying was the half-hour debate the sales guy had with the service guy about the bluetooth already being present and I was just not 'pairing' my phone to the vehicle correctly. Despite my faults, I know when somethings not fitted.

It's still in the dealership; I pick it up tomorrow as it's taking them longer than they anticipated (should I be worried?). I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #859326th Jul 2005 5:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

I've got the flip side of your problem; PTI-factory install and no compatible 'phone! Plus wasn't quite prepared for the plastic wart on the roof.

My 'phone pairs but is not recognised, so have ordered a new one. taking a risk on the model, as of the 10 or so ones on the LR list, only 3 seem to be available and none at the price I'd pay. Cradles are more expensive than 'phones... Found out that a SonyEricsson T630 works on the jag, so having a punt.

I rang LR Customer service and pointed out the short and ancient nature of the compatibility list. They seem to be pretty slow on testing and pretty keen on Nokia (not surprising when you find out who made he kit) - although one of the most popular BT ones won't work. Go Figure. Next 'test batch' is September.

Perhaps a thread for 'phones that work with Factory and Dealer installs might help others?

Alex "Cheesed-off-because-I-forgot-to-change-the-ferry-booking-for the-height-of-the-new-motor-and-now-it's-back-to-the-Golf" W. Evil or Very Mad
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #862426th Jul 2005 7:17 pm
Mossy

Phones that work thread - hmmm looks like being a very short thread by the sounds of things. Incidentally mines a Sony Ericsson too, which they know, but that didnt seem to be their concern.

What is beginning to annoy me now, and that's the trouble with exploring the various forums and web sites (thanks grommet!!!) is LandRovers unwillingness to even contemplate a factory-fit install at any level of integration.

Anyway, talking of threads, I hear two empty tin cans with string between them works quite well, though it's not technically handfree so not really road legal.
Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #862626th Jul 2005 7:55 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

At least it works unlike LR's apparently Twisted Evil
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #862726th Jul 2005 8:08 pm
Mossy

Maybe I'm being... a little premature.... I've yet to see what this aftermarket kit the dealer's fitting is like. Could be a whole new posting.

So what do you thinks best; tin cans or paper cups??

Twisted Evil
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #863426th Jul 2005 8:59 pm
Mossy

As promised an update - just taken a call from my Land Rover dealership - "We've hit a snag. Can we hang onto your vehicle for another day as we're a wire missing". Apparently this "wire" wont be in until tomorrow at eleven so I cant say if the phone kit works or not.

Point to note here is that as of tomorrow it will be three days in the dealership for a phone kit fitting. Should I start a thread for New World Records?

Watch this space

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #871327th Jul 2005 2:33 pm
Bob

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
Point to note here is that as of tomorrow it will be three days in the dealership for a phone kit fitting. Should I start a thread for New World Records?

You could do as it took me 4 visits to my LR main dealer to get a cradle fitted and working!
 DISCOVERY 3 TDV6 HSE  
Post #886828th Jul 2005 10:17 pm
Mossy

The Update - Picked my car up 6.pm on Thursday with the aftermarket Blue Tooth kit fitted. They confessed that it was the first Sony Ericsson they had installed, which was why it had taken so long, but were impressed with the results.
From my perspective it does all I need. The voice dialling is obviously through the phone itself (SEP900), but I'm happy with this.
When the phone rings, it mutes the stereo, "Phone Mode" appears on the infortainment display and the sound bounces around in Logic 7 style. I can either auto answer or press a single button on the small device and talk away.
The unexpected benefit is that I can have 5 phones connected to the system at the same time - which means I dont have to pair to my other phones and neither does anybody else when they enter the car after an intial set-up.
The BT unit also 'glows' in 5 user selectable colours depending on the phone (one of five ) currently active. Not a benefit but it's very cool. 8) 8)
Gave it a good testing from Chester to Bristol and back yesterday, and although I dont have an external antenna, it worked faultlessly.

Also got 22.9 Mpg so pleased with that too. Very Happy

If the LR approved phone list is struggling to keep up with the variety of phones presently available, I would recommend this aftermarket kit. I will dig out the actual produt code and post this for reference.

Fingers crossed it stays working, but today I'm wearing my optimistic cap.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #895230th Jul 2005 4:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >