Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Factory PTI Kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
525EXC

Factory PTI Kit

As a complete div when it comes to mobiles could someone help out with the following. I have the factory kit installed with compatible cradle and can Blue Tooth the phone (Nokia 6230i) but I'm thinking this is unnecessary as surely it communicates with the phone through the comms port. Tried it all out last night and could get it to dial through the radio but get the error 'Address book Empty' when trying to access it. This is while it's Bluetoothed and in the cradle. Am I doing something wrong? Just tried the dealers and this was more painful than reading the manuals.They reckon I need more bits so it can connect to Bluetooth. 'Yes but it connects already by bluetooth' 'No you need more bits'

Ant
 D3 SE
KTM 525 EXC Much more fun than 4 wheels 

Post #582529th Jun 2005 3:57 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I couldn't get a Nokia 6230i to work with the cradle properly. Would be interesting if you can. The cradle I have is a CR3.

The "Address Book Empty" message refers to the cars onboard telephone directory - you can store numbers there if you are only using Bluetooth, as there is not integration with your phone's directory using Bluetooth.

To get the full integration, turn off Bluetooth and put the phone into the cradle. If it works, the network display will appear on the radio LCD display (see my Gallery picture) when you tap the green button on the steering wheel.

Once you are connected, you use the controls on the right hand side of the radio to control the phone - or the steering wheel controls.

All the above, though, may be irrelevant if your 6230i, like the one I tried, won't operate with the PTI system. I have a 6230 now, which works perfectly.

Post #583029th Jun 2005 4:25 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Dont worry, you're not going mad, I had the same problem and was all set to replace my phone because of the message and in-access to the phone book.

You dont need to even enable Blue-tooth, it's more problem than it's worth as it attempts to lock onto everything around you, and even worse as you approach the D3, and the car rings Smile

What's actually the problem that you describe is something very simple, it's because your phone is NEW and you have to push the phone DOWN into the cradle connector hard and then seat it backwards into the cradle housing. I had my dealers taking things apart because of this and who were mystified since their identical mobile phone worked!!! the reasson being the catches on the side of their phone were slightly worn and mine was brand new.

So you see, at first all that you need to do is firmly seat the phone down into the cradle before pushing it back, and locking the phone in the cradle itself.

The PTI system is really good, and only today-and bear ini mind I didnt read the manual-after all it's just a phone!!! you have the green and red phone buttons on the stearing wheel, as well as using the volume up/down and forward, and backwards to search through the phone book. However note it only can read the phone memory and does not deal with multiple numbers per each phonebook entry, ie: ONLY the default no.s are dialled.
Anyway back to the other buttons, on the stereo, of course you can dial a number on the numeric keypad, but you also have the rotary knob on the righthand side to quickly search the phonebook, the phone key activate above the righthand side rotary knowm and also using the menu button, you can also search through the most recent dialled, missed, recieved no.s etc.... however once you enable the phone, ie: pushing either the green phone button of the phone button above the righthand side rotary knob, you can quickly jump to the respective first character of the phone entry using the keypad. Also, speed dials also work on the keypad.

The PTI system is well worth waiting for and collegues etc.... all comment how clear it is, even better once actually moving and there is some cabin noise else they comment on a slight echo. I'm slightly deaf, and so adjust the volume up, but this also adjusts the microphone sensitivity too, which although not a real issue means there is a slight echo.

Smile

Post #583229th Jun 2005 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
525EXC

Thanx for the advice Big Al. I've just spent an hour putting it in and taking it out. No jokes please Embarassed Very close to stamping on the phone. The only sign of life I've had is a mesage on the phone saying Use as mass storage device or similar. The phone then goes into an eternal loop of activate/deactivating. I going to the mobile phone shop tomorrow to check if it's the phone first as that's nearer than the dealers.
 D3 SE

Post #586829th Jun 2005 9:20 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ant, over on RRSPORT they are having very similar problems with the 6230i (only the new 'i' model, not the original 6230) - have a look here:

http://rrsport.theseusnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58
http://rrsport.theseusnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120

As it's the same system in the D3 and RRS, it'll be the same problem - duff software on the 6230i by the look of it Sad

Martin

Post #587029th Jun 2005 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

FYI, I know a Range Rover owner (same PTI system) that also can't get their 6230i working.

Post #587129th Jun 2005 9:32 pm
BN

England 

In the interests of economy, I use two baked bean cans and a piece of string 8) . Don't have to try all night to push it in and out then 525exc Shocked

Post #587329th Jun 2005 9:37 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Don't bother with the phone shop. As I said above, the 6230i doesn't work with the cradle/PTI. This isn't (amazingly enough) and Land Rover thing, as Mercedes have the same problem.

The symptoms you describe are exactly the same that I had.

Nokia doesn't have an explanation, but is looks like phone firmware problems.

If you look at the Nokia info or ask Land Rover, you will be told that the 6230 is on the compatible list, but the 6230i is not.

Post #587429th Jun 2005 10:02 pm
525EXC

Oh damn and blast. I'd just upgraded my phone prior to purchasing the D3 to a incompatible phone. Now I've gone bought an incompatible phone. I could have driven an extra 1400 miles for the price and not wasted 2 hrs in the phone shop. Out with the Jim Beam. That's better.
 D3 SE

Post #588529th Jun 2005 11:05 pm
525EXC

Out of interest is firmware updatable like a bios on a PC?
 D3 SE

Post #588629th Jun 2005 11:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, but normally harder to come by, if the phones locked to a provider an unlocking kit may do it. If you're on Vodafone that's probably the main issue, they're renowned for doctoring the firmware, removing half the functionality and making every other button dial up to their website if you're not careful. Orange seem to be one of the better ones, apart from a bit of branding they seem to leave all the original functionality in place.
Have a look for unlocking kits on ebay etc. may be worth a shot if they're cheap enough

Si
 The End  
Post #588729th Jun 2005 11:18 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
seem to be one of the better ones, apart from a bit of branding they seem to leave all the original functionality in place.

Not in my experience! Orange tend to disable the ability to send images via bluetooth, hoping you'll revert to using MMS instead Sad

Post #589130th Jun 2005 1:17 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

The firmware is totally upgradeable. Just take it along to a Nokia Service Centre, and they will oblige. Don't know which operator you use, but some of their shops will also flash the firmware for you.

To the best of my knowledge the current firmware version is 3.30 for the 6230i. It is plagued with glitches and they are already on the second or third firmware revision.

Now where have we heard that before......... Wink

Clearly the D3 and 6230i are made for each other! Twisted Evil

Post #591930th Jun 2005 5:37 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

NightFox wrote:

Not in my experience! Orange tend to disable the ability to send images via bluetooth, hoping you'll revert to using MMS instead Sad

My Orange K700i can send images via Bluetooth... and so did my Orange T610 Smile

-s

Post #592730th Jun 2005 8:23 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My T610 did and so does my V3 RAZR both on Orange
 The End  
Post #594230th Jun 2005 9:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >