DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Failure to start - Help Needed!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco3matt

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Failure to start - Help Needed!

Hi All,

My 55reg TDV6 Auto was running fine, went to get some fuel in (checked on the receipt that I had infact got diesel - I had). Went home. All ok. Next day on way to work noticed lack of power when setting off from junctions etc then it would suddenly get on boost and take off. Same on way home. Next day got in to go to work, started, and sounded very rough then conked out after 10secs or so and won't re-start - just dies almost straight away each time. After seaching, the initial problem sounds like it could be the EGR valves, but didn't see anyone else who then had the problem of it not starting at all - just wondered if you might have any ideas please?

The engine turns over, and battery is charged, all fluids/hoses etc seem fine, and flushed through fuel filter - smells like it is definately diesel in there. Engine begins to fire, but then just dies - No fault lights showing. Up until now not had the lack of power/hesitation problem before.

Any advice much appreciated as it's stuck in the middle of the drive!

Thanks,
Matthew

Post #64136826th Apr 2010 7:44 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Just guessing here but dirt in the injectors or even injector failure?

Im sure someone who knows what they are talking about should be along soon. Whistle
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #64137726th Apr 2010 7:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco3matt

Update:

Checked all electrical connectors on top of engine/fuses in engine bay just to exclude them. Don't think that did anything, but while I was out there just kept starting it, and enigine ran for a tiny bit longer each time, until after about 5 goes, it would idle.

Once it would idle, gave it some beans, and after the black smoke subsided, ended up clear-running, and with two black streaks on the drive Shocked

Taken it a run, and seem to be back to the lack of power/hesitation upto around 2500rpm, which would point to the EGR valves I guess now - at least it runs and I could move it!

Going to try the EGR 2p blank mod tomorrow morning and see if that pinpoints the problem to the EGRs unless anyone else has any better suggestions?

Thanks again,
Matthew

Post #64142726th Apr 2010 9:05 pm
amondeggs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

sOUNDS VERY MUCH LIKE THE SYMPTOMS I HAD WITH RHB EGR FAILURE. NO POWER UNTIL ABOUT 2500 RPM THEN LOADS OF POWER AND BLACK SMOKE OUT THE BACK. I BLANKED MY EGRS OFF THIS WEEKEND WITH HELP OF BODSY USING BAS KIT AND SOOOOOOOO GLAD I DID CAR RUNS LIKE A DREAM AND GOT MORE POWER NOW THAN I CAN REMEMBER.

Post #64143826th Apr 2010 9:12 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Amondeggs,
Typing in capitals is considered to be shouting and very impolite.
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #64158227th Apr 2010 12:23 am
disco3matt

Update again:

Removed butterfly valve paddle and inserted 2p above each EGR valve - problem solved!

Only thing now is - I've just noticed the rear nearside door isn't unklocking - guess I'll be doing another latch then! There's only the two back doors that are original now anyway, so I suppose it isn't exactly unexpected.

As an aside, why wouldn't simply removing the butterfly valve paddle solve the problem - I tried this initially, and ran the engine, but it was just as bad as before. My thinking was - regardless of whether the EGR valves were faulty stuck open or faulty stuck closed, surely without the butterfly paddle the engine would be able to draw air most easily from the clean air intake, and the problem wouldn't be noticable anymore?

Thanks bigdave, amondeggs and Bushwanderer for your responses

Cheers for now,
Matthew

Post #64208828th Apr 2010 7:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >