DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fairly urgent help on tyre wear / suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fairly urgent help on tyre wear / suspension

I have a 54 plate Disco TDV6 SE.
The OSR tyre wear is extreme on the inner edge.
We drove down from NW Scotland just after Christmas and had a very hot OSR wheel/disc after a few miles.
I have had problems with the EPB so disengaged it, pulled the emergency release and the EPB fuse.
This helped but when we got 60 miles it was hot again.

National Tyres Fort William took out the whole of the brake shoes and mechanism and this solved the issue almost entirely - still fractionally hot after a few hundred miles motorway driving so might need to replace the caliper (cleaned recently but still quite stiff)
Anyway, the big problem is the tyre wear.
National said bad camber wear is caused by the bush at the bottom of the air shock having gone (it has, see picture) which Land Rover says is not sold separate to the air shock.
I'm not sure that would cause the camber wear though as surely the double wishbones should keep the tyre level - the shock mounting adjusting the vertical travel.

So we're down to the West of London and everywhere is shutting up, with a 650 mile journey North in a few days and a tyre that shouldn't be doing the journey.
Don't really want to put a new one on for it to be ruined on one trip, but also want to be safe.
The spare is a 255/60/18, whereas the tyres on it are 255/50/20, so should be same rolling circumference.
Oh, on fast left-handers on Highland roads the DSC is coming on (feels like NSR brake applied).

Any suggestions/pointers or people who might be able to sort it out at short notice???

Many thanks.

Pictures Here
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #73940531st Dec 2010 1:54 pm
JuanT

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Hmm does not sound good, not near and dont know the area...but worst case if you can't get someone to fix in time, swap over the offending tyre to another corner... You will probably getting tyres by the pair anyway..Right?
Cheers john
 Artic Frost, HSE, TDV6
74 TR6...
1938 Alvis 12/70, rolling chassis loads of bits..body nearly done!
Audi 4 quatro 

Post #73941331st Dec 2010 2:17 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

TBH reading yer post it suggests you know the answer already......... get yerself a hire car Whistle

IMO anything that puts you and your passangers/love ones/other road users at risk when it comes to brakes/tyres explosion is not worth it and in the worst case could invalidate any insurance claim least of all leave yer at the mercy of plod for driving an "unroadworthy" vehicle. Thumbs Up

sorry its not the news yer want to hear, but better safe than sorry

Post #73941731st Dec 2010 2:24 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

When I had 4 tyres fitted a few months ago I also noticed that the OS rear was worn more on the inner edge, and research at the time suggested camber adjustment on that wheel was out, and was probably due to worn arm bushes. It sounds like this could be your issue.

However, that same tyre had two screws sticking out of it, and was low on pressure(Knowing I was having the new tyres fitted I’d given up on my usual checks several weeks before), so it could also have been down to running around at low pressure for a while, although I’d not noticed any difference in handling.
So I decided to try running around for a while and keep an eye on the tread wear.

Earlier this week I measured the treads, and that same inner edge has some extra wear than the other side, so it looks like I’ll be fitting some new bushes and having the alignment done.

Oh Joy

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #73941931st Dec 2010 2:26 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

nasher - £30 fixed penalty for the tyre with the screws in it then Whistle

ever seen a disco3 tyre explode/delaminate on a motorway at 70mph + Shocked

Post #73942131st Dec 2010 2:31 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

character wrote:
TBH reading yer post it suggests you know the answer already......... get yerself a hire car Whistle

Well that wasn't the answer I was really looking for Sad
There are 5 of us, 2 dogs, top box and lots of luggage.
Hire car would likely be a big arm and leg and it'd be 1 way 650 miles plus about another 140 miles of driving at the other end to get it and us to/from Inverness.
I'd probably rather pay for a hotel room for a few more days and get it sorted down here if at all possible in the time.
I should be able to get the brakes sorted myself before we were going to leave.

Bushes - I'd need to get someone who's used to doing them / has equipment (I'm a long way from my garage).
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #73942731st Dec 2010 2:46 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

If the disk heat was ok after a few hundred miles, and the vehicle rolls freely (ie brake not binding) then I would think you don't have a huge problem with the caliper, although worth getting it looked at once home. I think a bit of heat after a motorway run is normal, as the disk is always rubbing slightly on the pads anyway. You don't say how much tread is left on the inside of the tyre, but if it's still legal and inflated at the correct pressure, then if it was me I'd drive it back home, checking it every hunderd miles or so.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #73950131st Dec 2010 6:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >