Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Fairy lights without headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I always have my fairies on Thumbs Up ..... the motorcycling analogy has no evidence to support the claims that it is detrimental. Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11396153rd Aug 2013 11:10 am
pmajor

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

dangerdave wrote:
Anyway, truth is, as nice as fairy lights are, they are far too dim to be DRL's. Thumbs Up

That's true. They're pretty more than functional.

Have you ever heard of anyone making them brighter by changing the LEDs for brighter ones, or would that require wire snipping etc?

Post #11396613rd Aug 2013 2:23 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
I always have my fairies on Thumbs Up ..... the motorcycling analogy has no evidence to support the claims that it is detrimental. Smile

DG..I'm a little surprised at that coming from you Confused
You are normally first on here to quote (usually correctly) the Health and Safety mantra....
In this instance,because you have your lights on at all time,you have decided to waive the argument,as it doesn't back up your position.To suggest there is no evidence is patently incorrect.
Line up a motorbike with its headlight on,firstly in amongst cars with no lights on,then amongst cars with DRL's on and at what point is the bike more obvious ?...clearly,it will attract your attention far more readily amongst the cars with no lights on.... that is evidence enough for me Thumbs Up
Instead of a paper commissioned to provide evidence,I prefer that other unquantifiable yardstick that people use.... Common sense Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #11396773rd Aug 2013 3:35 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #11396813rd Aug 2013 3:43 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Or... just wait for the revised 2014 headlights and swap the whole unit? Shocked

Post #11397233rd Aug 2013 6:27 pm
pmajor

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

crews control wrote:
Or... just wait for the revised 2014 headlights and swap the whole unit? Shocked

Oh neat! You think it will as easy as swapping the whole light? Or will there be some electronics / computer upgrade that will be needed?

Post #11397333rd Aug 2013 7:12 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #11397493rd Aug 2013 8:06 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

euangibson wrote:
DG wrote:

DG..I'm a little surprised at that coming from you Confused
You are normally first on here to quote (usually correctly) the Health and Safety mantra....
In this instance,because you have your lights on at all time,you have decided to waive the argument,as it doesn't back up your position.To suggest there is no evidence is patently incorrect.
Line up a motorbike with its headlight on,firstly in amongst cars with no lights on,then amongst cars with DRL's on and at what point is the bike more obvious ?...clearly,it will attract your attention far more readily amongst the cars with no lights on.... that is evidence enough for me Thumbs Up
Instead of a paper commissioned to provide evidence,I prefer that other unquantifiable yardstick that people use.... Common sense Thumbs Up

i generally quote legislation rather than something I think is safe or unsafe ..nothing to do with suiting my own stance... I understand your concept .....but I feel its flawed.... there is no regulatory requirement for motorcycles to have a light on in the day.There is no evidence to say drl,s have caused any more or less accidents that I have seen and the argument falls apart at dawn, dusk, at night and in poor weather. Quite happy for motorcyclists to have their lights on at anytime . Show me facts and I,ll tip my hat to you Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #11397813rd Aug 2013 11:38 pm
euangibson

Since Austria banned DRL's in 2007,there has been a 5% fatality reduction and a 25% reduction in motorbike-related accidents.....the 5% I'm willing to accept as a statistical anomaly,but not the 25%.....that's too big a number I'm afraid Wink
By the same token,Poland report a 6% increase in fatalities since the introduction of DRL's......and Bulgaria an 8% increase
We all know bald stats are generally not worth the paper they're written on without further corroborating evidence,but a 25% decrease sounds like a good reason not to switch on my fairy lights in bright sunlight Rolling Eyes
By your argument,,since the introduction of mandatory high-level brake lights people should have stopped running into the back of each other by now,but I bet they still do Whistle
Now if we can just get a few Censored that drive "look at me,look at me"! Audis and Citroen Ds3's to turn off their attention-seeking, distracting,over bright LED lights we can maybe get back to using proper awareness and roadcraft. 8)
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Last edited by euangibson on 4th Aug 2013 7:51 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11397954th Aug 2013 7:48 am
euangibson

Ps....a trilby would be a nice touch Laughing

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #11397964th Aug 2013 7:49 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Those are figures bantered about on motorcycling and other anti drl sources ....if you look into them there are a couple of factors that they seem to omit like DRLs as being the leading defined factor, the time of year the stats were reported like the natural rise /decrease in accidents in the winter v summer. What are the UK stats ? You would think all of these pressure groups would want some home grown facts, trouble is they don't support the argument.

If you look at long term studies by far the most vulnerable across all classes are those that don't use DRLs / lights at all ...not those that do ...lots of official studies if you put "the safety effects of daytime running lights" into Google.
Post #11398414th Aug 2013 11:12 am
euangibson

There will always be pros and cons...if the pro argument is so strong,based on the "lots of official studies",as opposed to the anti-drl/sidelight argument,then why was the introduction by law rejected in this country ?

Here is another "official study"

"In 2004, in the interest of motorcycle safety, the Japanese Government publicly broke ranks with other Governments who might support the mandatory use of motorcar daytime running lights, and rejected the implementation of such a law in Japan."

Anyway,until it becomes law,I am quite happy that my car is no "less visible" to another road user in broad daylight as I don't have my sidelights on.
I am also quite happy that I may be contributing to motorcycle safety in so doing.Or as you like to call it

DG wrote:
Those are figures bantered about on motorcycling and other anti drl sources ....
Wink

We can both throw around quotes,and "conclusive" findings till the cows come home,but while International studies,and indeed Governments,cannot agree on the merits or otherwise of DRL/sidelight's,then I think its highly unlikely either of us will come up conclusive argument on here..... Thumbs Up

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #11398544th Aug 2013 12:28 pm
euangibson

Just out of interest...start a poll amongst discerning D3 and D4 owners....who has their lights on during daylight hours,and thinks they are contributing to road safety,and who doesn't, as they think it makes no difference at all ? Idea

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #11398564th Aug 2013 12:32 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Isn't your disco a Fuji DG?
Difficult not to see it! Laughing

Post #11398874th Aug 2013 2:30 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Euan ...agreed though I think there are greater challenges to be overcome with motorcycle visibility than this ....however if I see carnage trailing in my wake then I will concede to you. Smile

CC ....it has a bit of black now 8)
Post #11399284th Aug 2013 5:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >