Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Farewell and For Sale
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Pericles

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Farewell and For Sale

It is with a tinge of sadness that we bid farewell to our 2008 TDV6 D3. We can no longer afford to keep it on the road. In our five years it has cost us more than $11,000 over and above the normal service costs. Two high pressure pumps, a rear limited slip diff, a gearbox, an airflow meter and a broken tailgate catch. All the problems occurred out of warranty and we have had no assistance from Rover Australia or our Dealer.

I come from a long line of Land Rover fans. My Father sold Land Rovers back in the 1950's so I am no stranger to their strengths and weaknesses. We bought the D3 to tow our van around Australia but can no longer trust it to get us to our destinations with out breaking down. Its a terrible shame that such a capable vehicle is not reliable enough to do the job it was built to do.

Now I know that there are going to be posts that say they have had their Disco for xx years and never had a problem but just trolling these pages is evidence enough of their failings. We would like to think we just got a lemon but in nearly every place we camped on our travels we were regaled with horror stories from former Rover owners who had given up on the car because of reliability issues. Lets hope Tata can do something about this. Its a great vehicle and doesn't deserve to be let down by poor reliability.

I will, however, be staying on the forum as a former owner and part time lurker. I have appreciated the huge amount of assistance and knowledge that has come from this forum and look forward to reading the posts from time to time.

We have some spare parts that may be of use to those of you who have a D3 and we offer them for sale at greatly reduced prices. A brand new fan belt for $30 (cost $65), a Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch for $380 (cost $630), a brand new 17x8 5/120 steel rim for $65 (cost $160. Wrangler 235/70R17 tyre included free), the original radio from the Disco S in as-new condition for $45 and a brand new brake switch for $15. Feel free to contact me regarding these items. Freight is at the purchasers expense.

Thanks to all and farewell.

Post #120272315th Dec 2013 8:15 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Well Pericles I feel your pain. I, too have been saddened by the lack of reliability in the marque.

Earlier this year I have had a catastrophic failure of an TDV6 engine at 146 000 km after following the recommended service schedule (and even exceeding it by changing filters and oil at 6 000 km). Neither the selling dealer nor the then servicing LRA dealer could provide any assistance so I was shattered that I now had to fork out $21 410 to replace the engine. I took the precaution of replacing many ancillaries at the same time and had the radiator cleaned. (Anybody want to buy a second-hand turbo?)

JLRA explained that their responsibility had finished long ago and would not even entertain my request for parts at cost so that I might remain a faithful owner.

But despite my initial disgust at the very high costs and JLRA response I elected to have the replacement carried out (with significant parts discounts) by an independent Land Rover service centre. All credit to them.

But back to the reliability of which you have noted that has been a thorn in the side of Land Rover products. My own list includes the following failures in the seven years of ownership:

Suspension height sensors x3
    EAS compressors x3
    EPB (several faults but mostly not adjusted correctly)
    Alternator (and battery after the alt. drained it)
    Passenger door solenoid (although it seems to have fixed itself)
    Tailgate cable and solenoid x2

No, I don't think you got a lemon. From what I have read on forums of many different manufacturers Land Rovers seem to have a proportionate number of failings. I assume that the product that goes out the door is as good as the manufacturer can make it for the cost and the profit margin that must be met for the shareholders.

I still enjoy the supremely comfortably drive the D3/D4 offers and for that reason alone I will try to maintain mine.

However if it does have another expensive meltdown, so might I...
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #120280015th Dec 2013 12:15 pm
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

Stories like both of you make me feel bad about complaining about having my first problem being the front diff.
I have been lucky enough to have only had the noise when not towing (none when towing) so never really think of the car being unreliable as it has always got me there in comfort.
Land Rover drivers all talk to each other at caravan parks and have found many people with good stories but have been concerned with the percentage of people with Disco 4's that have had shut down problems when towing and air compressors in such new cars, thought that when the Disco 5 comes out that I would be changing to one of them but the problems with the 4's concern me.
I hope my run is not starting because I do all my own servicing it has been quite cheap to run so far.
Even the diff was under $2000 dollars and I fitted it in a day.
Good luck in the future Pericles.
And Leigh I hope your luck changes for the better.
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #120379717th Dec 2013 12:39 pm
Neil Pettersen

All the best with your new purchase

I wouldn't be happy with $11k whatsoever. Fuel pump , tail-latch and diff doesn't surprise me though.
I've had front and ( their mistake ) rear diffs on warranty . Compressor drier for $200 co-pay.
Lucky with the petrol engine so far................. 6 years .
Yes , you can't knock these around like an old 88" from the seventies . Mine just kept on going !
We were talking to a Def110 ( new ) owner at the weekend in Montville . They're a nightmare , so he told me .............

PS Whenever I read about multiple replacements ( comps and pumps ) I just know that
the problem wasn't fixed properly / damage caused by something else . It is pathetic that so many of
you have to pay for this bad workmanship/misdiagnosis .

Post #120398117th Dec 2013 8:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >