FAULTMATE MSV2 my review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 22 123 ... 202122>
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
FAULTMATE MSV2 my review

FAULTMATE MSV 2

REASONS WHY

I wanted to be able to read and clear my own fault codes. I also wanted to be able to change the CCF file (car configuration file) and add extras to my car that it didn’t come with as standard. I like gadgets and wanted to learn a bit more about the D3. This unit seems to fit the bill. Another reason is im going on a 4000 mile road trip soon and with this on board I will feel a little bit more confident.

FAULTMATE MSV 2

This is the unit I decided to go for. There are others, but for me the stand alone use was a must .The unit is approx 290 mm long, 60 mm wide and 25mm thick. It weighs in at 440 grams.
It’s very well made with a nice blue anodized finish. It has a 15 pin connector at one end (connecting to car ) and a 9 pin connector at the other ( connecting to PC ) It also has a 12v socket on the end so it can be powered from a external power supply if need be.

Slide back the rear cover to reveal the LCD display .This is also a cool blue colour...nice.
The display is very clear and easy to read. When the unit is connecting there is a blue flashing LED to show its transferring data .There’s one at each end.

SETTING UP

First off check all the stuff you ordered is there...common sense.

I had read a few bits and bobs first and watched a few videos, so I had an idea what was involved. Popped in the supplied disk with the Vehicle Explorer software on it and let it install .No probs there. It then asked about finding the MSV2 (server ) .I said yes and it started searching .Nothing …I then realized it had to be powered .2 choices , go to the car and power it from the OBD2 socket ( with the VCI Lead -vehicle communication lead) or find a 12v supply and do it indoors .2nd option for me as it was raining .Rummaged through my goodie draw and found an old 12v transformer with the right connection (oh -12v power pack can be ordered from BBS by the way if you need one ) Plugged it in and it all lit up.Tryed connecting again , this time it found the server and told me what port it was on and was saving the settings .Great . By the way my laptop doesn’t have the RS232 socket needed, so I used a USB – serial port adapter. I had already installed the drivers for this.

So now I have connection .Open up the Vehicle Explorer software and was greeted by a nice looking application .Looked quite easy to use.

You will have already been given a link to the support forum on BBS, were you register. On there is software downloads and your software license, TUP code, as well as your account details.

Write down the 20 digit TUP code including the minus – signs

In the Vehicle Explorer program, you then click on the settings tab and click server settings / information .At the bottom of the page you have to enter a TUP code .Click write settings, then save settings .It should say at the bottom licensed software modules …and show the discovery 3 software.

Next go into settings – server software manager .This was a little confusing at first as it has a list of modules on one side and installed modules on the other .From watching a video it said I had to transfer the available ones to the installed ones .But mine were already there? .Not only the D3 related stuff, but modules for others as well (freelander, RR etc etc.)

I scrolled down all the relevant ones and found a couple that had not already transferred over .Highlight the module and a quick right click of the mouse shows up a pop up box. Click “add files to server “easy peasy.

All the installed modules seemed there, so click on apply changes .This then connects to the MSV 2 unit and puts all the modules on there. Obviously this is for when you want to use the MSV2 as a stand alone unit.

I also clicked on” update all installed modules”...just to make sure I had the latest.

Lastly I checked the settings – “software license status” to see if everything was licensed

VEHICLE EXPOLORER SOFTWARE

Right this is the good bit .This is the software you use to read / clear faults /change CCF file with your PC. I proceeded to look at my choices. Select by car, select by vehicle or system tests.

First off system tests – Hardware

This allows you to test connection with the hardware (MSV2) It will keep rebooting the MSV2 to show that’s its communicating .You can record all this so if you have any issues, you will have a log of whats happening

System test – Vehicle scan

Not applicable on d3...but an interesting feature any way

Select by ECU

Not knowing my vehicle ECU I didn’t bother with this...although the menu screen utimatly brings you to the same place in the end anyway.

Select by vehicle

Click that and select LANDROVER, Then DISCOVERY 3 .You are then presented with a selection of ECU’s.

Selecting one of the ECU’s...for example Audio and Video, brings up different parts of that ECU.

Sorry...i got bored of doing screen dumps...a few pic’s now

There all pretty much self explanatory .The software is very easy to use and makes using it a pleasure. There are features to save and load stuff, record data and many more. It’s very much like using internet explorer, which is easy to understand.

Some pictures at the end to show you

Obviously this software does more .Some of it is in there, some still under development, but nearing release. One of these is the CCF (car configuration file) edit facility. To me this was what I could not wait for. The ability to change my CCF file was very exciting.

The CCF edit stuff is NOT RELEASED yet to Jo public .I am helping test it and iron out any bugs .So far so good. I have found one small item that needs addressing and will be forwarding my findings onto BBS. More testing will continue in the following days.

To see what is on this file take a look here http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/photos/CCF_disco3_new.htm

I started a thred on some of my finding here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32772.html although not to everyone’s appreciation.

USING THE MSV2 AS STAND ALONE UNIT .

Very easy .Plug the VCI lead in the end …other end in the cars diagnostic socket under the drivers side dash .Turn key on ignition so lights are on Then just follow the flashing cursor and use the up/ down and enter buttons

PRICING

Take a look here http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/ ...I am not going to try and explain the pricings as there are various options. If you need more advice contact BBS SPY on here.

If it helps I will list the hardware I have got.

HW017 FAULTMATE 2 MSV EXTREME (one with screen on - can use on its own without pc)
LD032 COMPUTER LEAD (9PIN DIN TO 9 PIN DIN - for connecting from msv2 to pc)
LD020 COMPUTER LEAD (this is the VCI lead -vehicle server interface) connects into the OBD2 port and the 15 pin connector on the MSV2
LD011 COMPUTER LEAD (this one is an extension lead for the VCI lead to extend it - not used mine yet)

There is a D3 discount being offered at the moment...again contact Colin for info

SUMMARY

The software is quite expensive, but seeing what it can do now and knowing how passionate Colin is regarding developing this stuff, I pleased with my purchase. My delivery from Cyprus was 3 days.

I am the first to admit that some of the fault code stuff is new to me. However the software makes it easy to understand and I can now spend time learning what they all mean.

CCF editing stuff is pretty straight forward...he has made that basically a drop down box...couldn’t be easier.

I think the timing is right for this software with the D3‘s coming out of warranty. I was going to get rid of mine at 3 years, but I won’t be in such a rush now.

I was also going to try for an HSE next time , but I would be quite happy to get another SE and put the bits on I wanted , Money saved doing that will more than pay for the BBS stuff .

SUGGESTIONS

How about a nice holder for the MSV2 and VCI lead. I would like to keep it good condition, but been unable to find anything to keep it in that fits.

Help pages for newbie’s. There are a lot, but I would have liked to see something all in one place, maybe with pics attached. This is mainly for the setting up procedures. (And yes there are good videos …I mean something in a correct order of installation to make it easier)

Right Iv been at this all afternoon …just like to finish by thanking Colin for his patience with me...badgering him to let me test the software and technical questions.

You have created some great stuff here...I just hope others will appreciate what you can do and your passion for the LR range.

Please check through Colin and tell me if iv missed any thing out on the installation bit...i don’t want someone struggling cause I missed a bit out .Also any photos that are not appropriate...just shout .

Regards
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #44415725th Mar 2009 7:52 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

No particular order

There is also live engine data somewere ..i will have to find i
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #44415825th Mar 2009 7:52 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Topic reset - if you have nothing constructive to add to this then please don't.

Post #44447526th Mar 2009 9:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Maybe BBS SPY could add in to this thread what the cost of the system as reviewed by Wiggs is to forum members?

Thumbs Up

PS - Fantastic review Wiggs - Thank You! Bow down
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Last edited by SJR on 26th Mar 2009 9:59 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #44447726th Mar 2009 9:51 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You're earning your money this week Martin. Can you do the same with the other 4x4 activation post? Be a shame to lose constructive feedback/comments on it.

Wiggs, Great review, must have taken you ages, but that's the cost when you're such a geek! Laughing Thumbs Up

I like the comment about getting an SE next time & just enabling the HSE functions, really has some food for thought there.....
Adding to that, I'm assuming that this should also work with the D4? Perhaps some additional options will be available but the core should be the same? Would it be updated for the D4 (if it gets called that) BBS?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #44448126th Mar 2009 9:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jkp

Scotland 

Wiggs Bow down top notch review as always. Looking forward to future updates Thumbs Up

Costs would be good Thumbs Up Oh' hang on do I need a D3 first ? Rolling Eyes

Post #44448326th Mar 2009 9:56 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Great review there Wiggs, even I am starting to understand it now Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #44448926th Mar 2009 10:02 am
Neil Pettersen

Deleting posts for good or bad.......

Bodsy wrote:
You're earning your money this week Martin. Can you do the same with the other 4x4 activation post?

....... this is a slippery slope. Is it going to happen to archives also, since there's been plenty
said there over the months ? You can just ask people to behave, you know.

Last edited by Neil Pettersen on 26th Mar 2009 10:10 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44449326th Mar 2009 10:09 am
Nico G4-2

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Tx Wiggs

For us who travel to deserted areas this migt be a GR8 product..so tx for the info.

I am thousand km / miles from all there in the UK and Med and just want to say - I visit here and some photography sites and use to be active on the old CTOC (Camel Trophy Owners Club) Raul and I have CT disco's and G4 D3 Disco's... My grandfather left Holland in the 40's so maybe it is in the genes Laughing

I think this all good info and a really good product needs to be stress tested and used by normal people so Wiggs is doing a fantastic job for us all. 10FC seesm from afar a nice bloke if he comes down to Africa I'll buy him a beer but me thinks this Simon fellow we might just toss to the lions Laughing he he Wink

OK now for a new post need to get to 500 before end April Laughing
Nico
 Nico

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus: Ex-CT Tdi Disco
'05 BOV - Big Orange Van: TDV6 D3 G4 - Hit a COW the animal kind
'11 BBB - Big Black Bus: D4 HSE 5.0 V8 - busy with MODS
'16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
SWAMBO ... Small black number - RCZ 

Post #44449426th Mar 2009 10:09 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Faultmate

Well done wiggs, Great review as always. That looks like a nice piece of kit, keep up the good work. Thumbs Up

i have been following the development of the faultmate with great interest, i dont know how good the software is yet but it looks like they got the hardware right.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #44450226th Mar 2009 10:19 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wiggs great review. I have a couple of questions.

1 Have an HSE, is there much / any point in me looking at the software for enabling functions, what can be enabled on an HSE that isn't already?

2 I am thinking of doing an overland trip next year, how much use MSV2 on it's own ie can it read faults and reset things?

Thanks
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #44450926th Mar 2009 10:31 am
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

wiggs - Thumbs Up

I've gone through the ELMCAN "experience" - no real value added for a D3 if you want to dig deeper into the car's brain Smile

I've been looking regurarly at BBS site for about a year already - to see the development Smile I have to say - that your test from the user view is far more descriptive and usefull than all that I have seen on manufacturer's site.

Please post some more info on the "live data" (incl. logging) and of course the car configurator.

The ultimate question (to the developer) would be: When can we read the EPROM, edit a particular section of it in a user friendly way and flash back to engine ECU (with correct checksums etc.)? Whistle
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #44451126th Mar 2009 10:32 am
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Agreed this is very interesting and I'm seruiously considering making an investment... As Sod's law would have it I paid MJ Fews to enable Sat Nav on the move only two days ago! Evil or Very Mad

The cost for an individual is quite high, but averaged over the lifetime of the vehicle it could be argued is a reasonable amount.

One other question that has been briefly touched on is that it is, presumably, technically possible to load an engine performance remap using this kit. Of course, obtaining the remap data is an entirely separate matter but, if the data were available, could the MSV2 be used to apply it?

Andy
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #44451926th Mar 2009 10:39 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thank you Martin Thumbs Up

Wiggs has purchased our SV222 all in one kit, which costs 770.70 GBP
With my 20% discount offer to any genuine / existing member in April that translates to 616.56 GBP, plus shipping and VAT where applicable.

Last edited by BBS SPY on 27th Mar 2009 1:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44452626th Mar 2009 10:53 am
evo8

Slovakia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

BBS - that is really great news with the flashing bit - as soon as I have the flash from Engine ecu - I can try to start dissassembling it Very Happy
 2013 D4 TDV6 S; Baltic Blue; IID Tool BT
2007 D3 TDV6 SE, Auto; club Faultmate MSV2 

Post #44453926th Mar 2009 11:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 22 123 ... 202122>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >