Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

FILO's autobox oil change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 17 <123 ... 151617>
filo

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

did you check the oil level after the flush following the zf guide?

it could be better for you to find someone able to perform a full flushing procedure under pressure using an appropriate machine such as the wynns or the spin

F.

Post #79709716th May 2011 11:37 am
johoso1

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
German flush system may be a

I fund this german flush system for 500-600 euros.
http://www.automatikoelwechselsystem.de

They have posted different videos of cars - also ZF in jaguars.
I think this is the way to go as i also have an old Daimler v12 from 82 and Jaguar Mk2 form 61 - both with autogearboxes.

The german has written a lot of facts about the autoboxes and the "sealed for life" concept. More or less he recommends gearfluid changed every 50.000 km

I think I will go for this solution Very Happy and do another cleaningfluid+flush with this equipment with my spare ZF-fluid.

Johan

Post #79710716th May 2011 11:53 am
RSAChris

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Done mine on Friday...

I got the oil (8 litres) and the BMW sump pan and separate filter with seal and shorter bolts from ZF Manufacturing in Joburg.

Drained the oil as Filly described, but did not have his helper nearby... so when the car was started, the extension pipe flew out of the bucket and spew oil all over my garage... I jumped at it, grabbed it like a fire hose out of control and aimed for the bucket.... eventually got another 4 litres into the bucket... Laughing

Then started to undo all the old filter pan screws (21 of them)... but the 9 Censored ones situated just above the cross bars had me swearing... and wishing that my son with his long thin hands were there. Then spilled another liter or more over the only dry patch on the garage floor.... Big Cry

Spent some time cleaning up (actually resting my arms that totally did not want to work anymore) - uhm... I forgot to raise the car before draining the fluids...... Banging Head so I was Leopard-crawling under the car...

Fitted new filter and pan... took me another few hours to tighten the screws... those hard to get at 9 Censored ones....

Then put 5 liters in via the still disconnected oil cooler and refitted the hose. Started the car, went through the gears and put in another 1.5 liters when temp got to 40 degrees C.

I still did not fit the gearbox sump guard, I need to check for leaks....

Oh, it is still smooth and no mirracles to report, but it is clean and healthy now.

Also changed the brake disks, pads and sensors all round, and the cool blue intercooler hose too... 8)

Cheers
CS
 Proud owner of an IIDTool
2010 Disco 4 TDV6 SE
R2D3 the 2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE... gone now
Romulus [Defender 110 CSW Td5] will always be missed
Rofty [Defender 110 CSW Td5] first Td5 and start of motor electronics...
www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns 

Post #82444010th Aug 2011 10:46 am
filo

RSAChris wrote:

Drained the oil as Filly described, but did not have his helper nearby... so when the car was started, the extension pipe flew out of the bucket and spew oil all over my garage... I jumped at it, grabbed it like a fire hose out of control and aimed for the bucket.... eventually got another 4 litres into the bucket... Laughing

same as my first attempt
round 5 liters all over the Censored yard
spent half day washing the yard floor with gasoline and pressure washer... a real Censored ing nightmare
can't report what SWMBO said when she came home... Mr. Green

F.

Post #82466010th Aug 2011 7:59 pm
redjelly5000

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

With regards to what oil to use in the UK, (not sure about availability elsewhere) I spent days researching this matter and spoke directly with the manufacturers of several products and detailed the reults of my research here:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic46311.html

I did mine with the Duradrive about 35k ago now and it's been fantastic since. My car works hard, 109k on the clock, and often has 3.5t on the hitch. In my research though, I also found out which ones are NOT suitable, and the manufacturers of Castrol Multi car, Millermatic, and also all Dexron 6 fluids say they do NOT meet the spec of Shell M1375.4 so be careful if you choose to use them.
 D3 TDV6 HSE 2008 Buckingham Blue (current)
D3 TDV6 HSE 2009 Zermatt Silver (previous)
D3 TDV6 HSE 2005 Maya Gold (previous)
D2 TD5 ES 1999 (previous)
Defender TD5 swb hard top 2005 (previous)
Defender 300tdi swb hard top 1994 (previous) 

Post #82522312th Aug 2011 5:10 pm
KOOS BEST

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

This video shows a guy draining oil on a ZF 6HP26 from a Jaguar XK 8 . He uses a Mercron SP oil, some of the comments say it's a higher spec than the LIFEGUARD 6 oil from ZF.

Post #8539321st Nov 2011 4:39 pm
vbrab

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
RE chnaging oil and pan

Dear FILO, thankyou, most informative and innovative post for homestyle mega flush. Changing the pan is pretty straightforward and quite easy. (Easier than the dealers would have you believe.)
I bought steel pan and filter kit, with bolts, and 20l drum of oil from ZF direct (I am in Australia) and they were best price of anybody, including the 4000k freight charge to get it to me.
My steps were lift vehicle, drain oil into suitable container, undo rear box bolt (through round mount at rear of box, then jack up box, use Torx allen keys to get at end pan bolts, drop pan (more loose oil), swing to passengers side of car, pull down on tray and snap off filter. Make sure that seal on tube from filter comes out with tube, Easy replacment after that. I used Hylomar as seal on all surfaces of gasket and pan, and you already know how to replace oil. Replacing Mechatronic seal is a bit tricky/fiddly, I used surgical gloves to avoid bridging internal terminals through static. (Plenty of references on net about that point.)
But thank you for informative post on oil change, regards vbrab

Post #86287124th Nov 2011 12:20 pm
filo

Hey vbrab

glad you succeed in doing the job Thumbs Up

post the link of your fluid source just in case other chaps would like to get it from the same place

F.

Post #86353525th Nov 2011 6:23 pm
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Hey Filo!

This is my job for next week. Can you advise which is the outlet pipe? I guess it is the top one from your pictures.

Grazie molte!

Mike

Post #8800446th Jan 2012 11:32 pm
filo

Hi Mike

i'm afraid but i can't remember at the mo. Better you ask someone who has recently done the job
btw it's easy to locate it if you ask swmbo or a kid to start the car and suddenly switch it off while you hold both the hoses in a transparent bottle.

sorry Mike

F.

Post #8801917th Jan 2012 2:14 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

RSAChris wrote:

I got the oil (8 litres) and the BMW sump pan and separate filter with seal and shorter bolts from ZF Manufacturing in Joburg.

could you post please the BMW references of the BMW parts you needed please, im thinking in making the conversion to the steel pan in my next fluid change.

Thank you very much RSAChris!

Post #8808298th Jan 2012 11:21 pm
RSAChris

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Hi Cuco

I don't have the ZF part numbers - but I was told it is the parts that is used on the BMW X5 6-speed gearbox - it is the BMW 6HP26 – 6HP28 gearbox.

Cheers
CS
 Proud owner of an IIDTool
2010 Disco 4 TDV6 SE
R2D3 the 2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE... gone now
Romulus [Defender 110 CSW Td5] will always be missed
Rofty [Defender 110 CSW Td5] first Td5 and start of motor electronics...
www.flickr.com/photos/the_steyns 

Post #8809229th Jan 2012 10:08 am
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have just completed this job thanks to Filo's excellent guide. I did a lot of research on which oil to use and eventually went with the Millermatic ATF DM. They recommend it for the D3 on their website and it cost me £55 for 10 litres.

The pipe that Filo is pointing at in his photo is the outlet, which I extended using an adapter and piece of garden hose. I then got the wife to run the engine until oil stopped coming out and got just under 4 litres in my bucket. In addition, I drained another litre at the filter sump and then replaced the plug.

To refill, I just connected a piece of (dry) garden hose to the union that the outflow had been connected to and hooked it up to a pressure garden spray which was big enough to take the 5 litres of Millermatic.

I drove the car about 10 miles and repeated the whole exercise again. There was a big improvement in the oil after the first flush so it should be pretty good after the second. Very easy job and it seems to have got rid of the shudders usually encountered on the hill on the way to the pub! Thumbs Up

Post #88611719th Jan 2012 8:03 pm
HCanada

Canada 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Old tread.... But I wanted to add

Hi all, I have read this tread with much interest as I have had 1 x BMW 530d and an Audi 2.5tdi, both with auto box.

On both motors I replaced the auto oil by this method...

First, check for leaks and be comfortable your oil level is correct......easy

Then clamp both inlet and outlet pipes as close as possible to the transmission oil cooler (either long nose mole grips or proper pipe clamps)

Disconnect the LOWEST pipe from the oil cooler and measure the volume drained from the oil cooler ( COOLVOL) ( leave it draining whilst you continue)

Determine your inlet and outlet ( I did this using a Haynes manual for the Audi and googling for the BMW, easy to find out)

INLET pipe add an extension (clear if possible) and securely stick it into an empty 25ltr tub (A)
OUTLET pipe add an extension and put it in your tub (B) of new trans oil (the oil cooler outlet is the 'inlet for the box)
I knew for example the BMW holds a total capacity of 9ltrs inc torque covert or, so I filled a nice new clean 10 later tub with Trans oil.

RELEASE THE HOSE CLAMPS

I have a helper run the engine until clean oil is cycled through and is seen in flowing into tub (A). Shut the engine off and clamp off both pipes going to A&B.

Reconnect the oil cooler inlet and force COOLVOL of extra oil from a squeeze bottle down the outlet pipe to compensate for the fluid loss from the oil cooler.... Reconnect, put the kettle on for a brew.

Give or take a tiny percent, what came out went in and the level is correct ! You will use prob about 1ltr of oil more in waste.

This is just for replacing the oil with fresh................ If your removing the sump for a filter change then it gets a bit more tricky.... I have not done this, but if i was this is what I would do. drain the sump and measure the sump amount ( normally 1/2 to 2/3 total capacity) replace the filter etc etc and refit the sump. Locate a fill point on the box and replace the quantity just drained from the sump. Then proceed to follow my above procedure.

This worked for me...... My BMW failed at 270000 km, it originated from perished O rings on the solenoids that allowed pressure to leaked so the plates were not fully engaged..... From my understanding this is actually the main common cause of total failure on the ZF and GM auto boxes. I also know people who have serviced these O rings during a tranny service ( BMW actually do a service kit)

I have only just got the landrover so not searched to much.........

Post #104122224th Jan 2013 3:13 am
catweasel

Mike767 wrote:
The pipe that Filo is pointing at in his photo is the outlet

for clarity

Post #104122924th Jan 2013 5:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 17 <123 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >