Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Finally ordered...but one final question!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CountryTanker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Finally ordered...but one final question!

Hi guys,

After months of monitoring the site (which is legendary by the way 8) ) I have taken the plunge and placed my order Very Happy .... D4 HSE, Galway Green, Arabica/Almond, Walnut, Remote Park Heating, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive bixenons. Very Happy Delivery in August (out of choice). Sad

Really excited but am away until August, so hopefully be able to put this out of my mind for a while.

My lingering question concerns tyres. I have read plenty about the stock Pirelli Scorpian Zeros and whilst grip in the dry/wet is fine, they don't get a great review for off road, snow/ice or wear out rate. However, the Pirelli Scorpian ATRs do much much better on at least 2 of those accounts. Given that it's pretty friggin' cold here (Europe) in the depths of winter and i have to tow horse boxes etc off road but need on road comfort/max MPGs, the ATRs would seem to be the way ahead.

Question: Can i order the car with ATRs rather than Zeros? This would make much more sense than the pain in the Censored that is changing tyres after delivery which is:

a. A lot of added expense
b. means i have a new set of Zeros taking up garage space?

Anyone with advice?

Many thanks in advance
CT
 1996 D1 (Legendary workhorse) - now KIA
2010 D4 HSE 

Post #60684120th Feb 2010 1:54 pm
slots

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Asked the same question. The message back from the chief programme engineer was that they are the only tyres fitted as they were developed to be best all round. You'll probably find you have to do a deal with the dealer once it arrives.

Post #60693520th Feb 2010 6:00 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

would be worth trying to negotiate with the dealer BEFORE hand,,, common in europe to buy a guy with winter tyres or tyres for required purpose,
i think it is totally acceptable to request the tyre of your choice.. Thumbs Up \

let us know how you get on..
 one wife.......livid  
Post #60696920th Feb 2010 6:39 pm
ozd4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

In australia we seem to get Goodyears from some dealers and Continentals from others , wonder why we don't get tyres designed for car ? I put scorpion on and am really happy with them (19")

Post #60715920th Feb 2010 11:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

TBH if you went on a LR Experience day, you would use scorpion zeros in a standard car (with a mantec plate) and you would be amazed at where they will take you.

ATR's are very good and I have been running them for the last 10,000 miles - including horseboxes and offroad.

You will be fine on the zero's until it's time for a change Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #60716120th Feb 2010 11:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJF

I think that the car will come with what the factory fits.

You can try doing a "take-off" deal with your dealer if you like. It won't be great value, but he'll probably oblige. Alternatively, you could try a making the same deal with a local tyre dealer. Again, you won't get a great deal, but you'll get the tyres you want.

We ran our D3 on zeros for two years before we changed to AT2 (summer). The zeros were fine on and off-road in all but the stickiest mud. We run Scorpion Snow & Ice in the winter. I like the AT2s. I think they're a good compromise between road and off-road. Soft sidewalls, though. When off-road I now have a set of Kumho KL71.

Post #60716720th Feb 2010 11:47 pm
Delta Mike

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Have been towing both a trailer and a horse box occasionally over the winter and have to say been happy with the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (on 19's). That includes hitching up in the middle of a snow covered fields and towing from there.

Post #60722621st Feb 2010 4:33 am
CountryTanker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Great advice guys, thank you. Thumbs Up I think, given what you have said, i'll let it lie until they need a change!
 1996 D1 (Legendary workhorse) - now KIA
2010 D4 HSE 

Post #60726721st Feb 2010 10:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >