Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

First 7 days of Disco 4 - feedback
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
tim144

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
First 7 days of Disco 4 - feedback

8 days with my new Disco 4 XS (previously had Disco 3 SE and Disco 3 S), Its a great car - fantastic performance no turbo Lag, love the dash / trim but for £40k list (saved £4k through (MOTORLOGIX) very diapointed on the following - no fold down arm rests, manual not electric front seats, - both fitted on previous SE, oh and what about that joke of a start button - its not a racing car! My Mrs has driven off twice in one week with the keys in my pocket - why dd LR do this? oh and found out today the sat nav is well out of date - how do I update. Still a good car but!!

Post #5295694th Oct 2009 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Another member for the "Land Rover - bring back the SE" Campaign! Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5295884th Oct 2009 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: First 7 days of Disco 4 - feedback

tim144 wrote:
My Mrs has driven off twice in one week with the keys in my pocket

How far did she get?
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #5295904th Oct 2009 9:50 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

She'll be fine until she turn the engine off
 The End  
Post #5295954th Oct 2009 9:59 pm
tim144

just down the road, talking to someone with a new RR sport - his wife dropped him at the pub and he had the fob with him -she did not switch the car off and went back!

Post #5295974th Oct 2009 10:01 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Slimer wrote:
She'll be fine until she turn the engine off

Blimey!, t least thought it might have a range or something. But I guess that would cause a few issue's on the M25 Mr. Green
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #5295994th Oct 2009 10:03 pm
tim144

not sure its safe for kids in the car - easy for them just to press - a key would be more difficult!!

Post #5296034th Oct 2009 10:06 pm
mzplcg

England 

The keyless GO is a bit worrying. Could I ask a bit more please?

Comparing with my previous car (Merc E500) which had keyless GO, the following was what I would expect.

If engine running but key is removed from the inside of the car the dash flashed up a warning and a bong. Engine does not cut.
If key is iside the car and you try to use the lock buttons outside the car does not lock. Dash message "Key in car"
If key is not in car engine will not start (even just outside the drivers door with door open.)

Apparently there are aerials in the doors which can detect the location of the key fairly accurately. I never managed to fool them either.

What concerns me is the scenario they showed on Top Gear with Clarkson moving Hammond's car while he was eating in the restaurant. A similarly bad implementation of the D4 could make it easily pinchable whilst in KFC etc with the car just outside.

It would be good to know exactly how the D4 and it's Keyless Go are set up.

Thanks

Dom

EDIT. By the way, the engine would not start unless the brake pedal was depressed so kids "fiddling" was nto a big issue.

Post #5296805th Oct 2009 7:31 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

and what will happen if/when they introduce the stop/start e-feature for intown traffic to save pollution etc? does that mean somebody (SWMBO) can drive off without a key get to traffic lights and the car turns off !!!
then what will it say 'No key' and refuse start (great for making friends behind you) or realise it's in stop/start mode and re-start???? Whistle
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #5296985th Oct 2009 8:36 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Played with this at a dealer the other day, pretty much as Dom describes

- key in side car, engine starts
- key not in car, engine continues to run, but won't start again once stopped
- to start engine, press and hold brake (auto - presume it's clutch in a manual, that's how 5 series works) then press start button
- kids in car not an issue, unless you've left them the key too, which is no different to a normal starter (let's face it, kids are pretty observant - I bet most people on here knew the basics of how to start a car by the time they were about 6!)

Biggest problem I can see is the scenario where hubby goes out to start car and scrape the ice off (certainly the man's job in this house!!!) then wifey drives away without keys, or drops him at the station, again with keys still in his pocket. MrsR's BMW has a start button, but you still have to stick a key in a slot, which seems a much better idea to me... This also means the car know who's driving for customisations tied to the key, eg mirrors, seats etc, even radio channels in the BMW. How does this work in the HSE if both keys are inside the car?

Martin

Post #5297045th Oct 2009 8:57 am
tim144

Thanks Dom - just checked it - maybe not as big problem. Need foot break applied and fob in the car to start - should deal with the kids saftey, when key outside car warning flashes up and wont start. When Car running and walk away with key warning flashes up and sounds - still not convinced this will stop the Mrs driving off and leaving me! Can anybody explain the benefit of this system - it seems a joke to me!

Post #5297415th Oct 2009 9:39 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It is a nice gadget IMHO.
From what you D4 owners and test drivers say, LR has considered most cases and it seems to me that a warning and sound should be pretty enough for someone not to take the key fob with him while walking away. In addition let me remind you that the old fashioned key could be an injury culprit in case of an accident, hence keyless entry is a nice advance. As far as theft is concerned, I believe that nothing much changes compared to the old fashioned key, since if you go away leaving the car running, the thief can drive it away in any case. At least with a fob he will stay immobile wherever he switches off the engine! Twisted Evil
My only concern with all that technology is the amount of radiation we receive when inside the car. I wonder is it radiation at a constant base, is it microwave like on mobile phones, power? Confused

Post #5297845th Oct 2009 10:36 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I should think you receive rather less EM radiation in a modern car than an older one - I can certainly remember listening to the wipers over the radio, and you could always spot a badly suppressed car by the lines on the TV! There are much stricter rules on EMC now and what you do get will be far more controlled. If you are worried about it, I hope you never use a cell phone, and I'd certainly not sit in front of a computer screen all day...

Post #5297945th Oct 2009 10:59 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

MartinR wrote:
... and I'd certainly not sit in front of a computer screen all day...

Sorry Martin this is not a possibility since I am addicted to disco3.co.uk Very Happy

Post #5298195th Oct 2009 12:09 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would agree with the statement with regards an XS as a replacement for an SE:
Quote:
very diapointed on the following - no fold down arm rests, manual not electric front seats, - both fitted on previous SE

Post #5298525th Oct 2009 1:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >