Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

First D3... and it's a V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
spt28

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up will do - just need to see if I can find somewhere/someone local.
 Disco 3 V8 with added LPG
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #181823523rd May 2017 11:59 am
spt28

Turns out the old man had a code reader for when his Saab threw a few errors with it's LPG install.
I popped over last night and by coincidence it appears to be a similar issue. Four codes found in total, two permanent two pending, both are the same pair:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Which translates to:
P0171 Fuel System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 Fuel System Too Lean (Bank 2)

more info here: http://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0171

Common problems that seem to trigger it are:
    PCM software needs to be updated
    Vacuum leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, etc.)
    Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
    Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
    Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

So some investigation work to be done this weekend just to check for no leaks but suspect it relates to the LPG install. Could be worse :lol:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #181895325th May 2017 8:45 am
spt28

Well after a wet week in Wales (Did I expect anything else?!) I can report that the disco was definitely the best vehicle to take as opposed to my 330 or any of the mrs' thanks to where we were staying. However, rather unsurprisingly it did throw its toys before we even left...

Sat morning after I got everything loaded, bikes in the back etc. I go to open the tailgate to plug in the fridge bag and the boot release cable goes - not a great start with everything inside, cue clambering through the back to plug it in!

Cruising down the M4 and the EML comes on again, I had a feeling it may reappear after resetting it the other week and so I'd packed the carb cleaner to clean the sensors while we were away. Sure enough it soon disappeared after a MAF clean. Thumbs Up

Pulling into Cardiff gate services I get a 'Check Brake Pads' message - no surprises as they are on my list of to do's, the most annoying part was the 'bong' every time I touched the brakes!

Lastly just to make double sure, last Thursday both the O/S brake and indicator bulbs decided to fail... but I can't change them as I can't get in the boot Rolling Eyes

It's never boring owning one of these is it?! So numerous parts all ordered and I'm hoping they arrive today so I can become even more familiar with the thing this week.

On the plus side I picked up some nice Whispar bars from a fellow forum member while on travels and the car hit a new high of a supposed 18.4mpg and 290 miles from a tank of LPG... got to be grateful for small mercies I suppose Laughing
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #182568912th Jun 2017 11:52 am
plocker

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

wrote:
Well after a wet week in Wales (Did I expect anything else?!) I can report that the disco was definitely the best vehicle to take as opposed to my 330 or any of the mrs' thanks to where we were staying. However, rather unsurprisingly it did throw its toys before we even left...

Sat morning after I got everything loaded, bikes in the back etc. I go to open the tailgate to plug in the fridge bag and the boot release cable goes - not a great start with everything inside, cue clambering through the back to plug it in!

Cruising down the M4 and the EML comes on again, I had a feeling it may reappear after resetting it the other week and so I'd packed the carb cleaner to clean the sensors while we were away. Sure enough it soon disappeared after a MAF clean. Thumbs Up

Pulling into Cardiff gate services I get a 'Check Brake Pads' message - no surprises as they are on my list of to do's, the most annoying part was the 'bong' every time I touched the brakes!

Lastly just to make double sure, last Thursday both the O/S brake and indicator bulbs decided to fail... but I can't change them as I can't get in the boot Rolling Eyes

It's never boring owning one of these is it?! So numerous parts all ordered and I'm hoping they arrive today so I can become even more familiar with the thing this week.

On the plus side I picked up some nice Whispar bars from a fellow forum member while on travels and the car hit a new high of a supposed 18.4mpg and 290 miles from a tank of LPG... got to be grateful for small mercies I suppose Laughing

Sounds like trouble free motoring Snigger
 05 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey  
Post #182578112th Jun 2017 3:06 pm
spt28

I thought that it was when it came to these Laughing

Anyway last night I got home to find a nice box of parts waiting for me so decided to tackle the 'issues'.

First up, the boot release. Armed with the trusty set of instructions (this forum is great isn't it!) it was dead easy... my only change to the instructions was the use of chopsticks instead of plastic knives to pop the panel out.

Now despite ordering a new actuator and cable, ultimately there was no need - pays to check before ordering parts sometimes but nevermind! Seemingly all has been replaced before and the cable had simply popped out of it's captive position, the addition of a cable tie should ensure that it doesn't happen quite so easily in future. Thumbs Up

With the tailgate open I could finally get to the lights to change the two bulbs... sure enough they had blown but on removing the light and turning it over so I could undo the bulb retainers this happened:

Click image to enlarge

Shocked

I could have kept goldfish in the amount of water that came out! After some initial drying it appeared there was some form of perished rubber stuck in the lenses (probably what was left of the seal but looked like seaweed!) so again the chopsticks came in handy Laughing

Despite drying them as best as I could I've left the cluster off the car with the bulbs removed to dry them overnight. Could be a good excuse to upgrade though Wink. Finally I gave the usually covered bits a quick hoover and put everything back together.

One thing I did notice though when refitting the tailgate 'flap' was two missing bolts that look as though they should go into the rear bumper, shown below to the right of the plastic retaining 'lug':

Anyone able to confirm what they are for or what they should be fitted to?

Brake pads are on the list for the weekend... I may have had to order a new 3t jack first... :D

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #182650914th Jun 2017 8:54 am
spt28

A productive eve of multiplication last night which required a drive into London once I got home from... yup London Laughing

Started with this:

and ended up with these Thumbs Up:

Admittedly one is just a shell but with the blade cut, the others are fully functional.

Went to see Alan (carkeyexpert on eBay), following a few recommendations I'd seen and he was absolutely spot on. New key programmed and cut, he also kindly cut the spare shell I'd bought elsewhere while he was at it - all done within 30 mins. Highly recommended if you are looking to get another key. He can also post out spares for coding elsewhere if you are not local.

I can now sleep a little easier knowing that I have back up in case SWMBO drops the key again and it stops working (Last fix required carefully soldering the battery connection pin back into the circuit board whilst all dressed up and on our way out! Rolling Eyes )

Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #182899121st Jun 2017 10:31 am
YubYub

Austria 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Same situation here.... first D3 and it's a V8

Hi all,

thanks very much for this thread - I'm in the same situation, having just jumped in at the deep end with a 2007 LR3 V8. Jsut one problem: no service history at all Embarassed

This thread has given me a lot of things to do...

Thanks again,

Stefan
 IIDTool in Vienna, Austria - happy to share!  
Post #182902521st Jun 2017 12:44 pm
spt28

Thumbs Up More than welcome.

My aim is to add as much as I can to this thread as I work through the various items that need to be looked at, in general and obviously on the V8. Partly as a record for me and if folk find it useful as well then even better (there are numerous other threads available Laughing ) but the V8 club is somewhat limited 8).

Like you there wasn't a whole lot of history of what's been done so far so I'm keen to work my way round the usual bits for peace of mind more than anything else.

The beauty of this forum and the age of these cars now - there isn't usually anything that somebody hasn't already tackled.

Enjoy!

Coming up soon once parts arrive - brakes and sunroof drains... Wink
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #182903021st Jun 2017 1:00 pm
spt28

Fresh MOT ticket today.

Only advisory was in relation to the brake pads which are on the job list for this weekend. Thumbs Up
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #182973323rd Jun 2017 1:15 pm
spt28

Well the weekend came and went, unfortunately the brake pads never got done as I needed a couple of parts that didn't arrive until Monday - isn't that always the way! Rolling Eyes

So instead I trailered one of the other projects about (love the ease in which this thing tows!)

and then on Sunday, Geoff who's reasonably local, came to visit for a spot of gearbox tlc.

Not only that, he cast his eye over a few bits and passed on some useful pointers. As has been said many times before; top service, top guy and thoroughly recommended - many thanks again Geoff! Bow down

This week I've mostly been ordering parts from Advanced Factors in preparation for the brake overhaul and giving the old girl a service... which thanks to Geoff's advice I'll now do myself. :thumbsup:

Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #183116527th Jun 2017 4:10 pm
geoff.

England 

your welcome and if you get stuck you got my number Thumbs Up

Post #183124927th Jun 2017 6:46 pm
spt28

Finally got service done, oil is now a nice golden colour once more, all new filters in place and fitted front diff breather also.

Also finally got round to sorting the brakes so no lights on the dash once more Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

the O/S rears were suitably worn hence the sensor flagging the issue - reckon there was just over 1mm left!

Click image to enlarge

So the sensor cable got changed as well - that's a fun one to route!

Click image to enlarge

Belts next...
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #184259731st Jul 2017 1:50 pm
spt28

Took the D3 down to Beaulieu yesterday for the autojumble and on the way back I got the EML again, thinking it was a bit strange I plugged in the reader last night and got P0140 code - seemingly O2 sensor not registering a reading/Bank A no activity.

I know on the Diesels this can be down to a split intercooler hose, but as I'm not near the car at present, anyone with a V8 come across a similar issue in the past?

Cheers
Disco 5
Plus a few other toys... 

Post #18539304th Sep 2017 9:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >