Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

First D3 trip - help wanted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
First D3 trip - help wanted

I am planning my first D3 trip - on the ferry over to North West Tassy.

I propose to spend my first night at Arthur River, then head out for some beach driving down to Temma (as per the 4x4 Aust "Trek Series" card from September).

I also believe that there are some pretty interesting inland 4WD tracks around Sandy Cape and Balfour.

I need help/advice once I arrive in Temma, i.e. - where to! What are the good tracks?

I am also constrained by needing to start and finish each day at suitable accommodation - wife and kids in tow = no camping. Google does not help with very much in the accom area.

Any comments from locals, or those who have been to this area, would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate a recommendation for any good maps of the area.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #11831110th Jan 2007 2:08 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I don't know about Tass (having not been there since 1984), but for accommodation you could try www.wotif.com. They have some good deals sometimes
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #11855311th Jan 2007 12:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

TDMP,
Great trip, Tassie! And the D3 will be a great touring vehicle there. I've been down there many times - last was about 2 years ago. We did Mt Balfour, Sandy Cape, Trial Harbour/Granville Harbour, Montezuma Falls etc.

Arthur River is a good base for some trips eg. Sandy Cape, and you can use Zeehan for trips around Granville Harbour, Montezuma Falls etc; Strahan is a definite must-do with some nice accom options - and you can get onto the beaches there too.

Have fun!

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #11965415th Jan 2007 3:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TDMP,

Try also on the Australian Land Rover Owners Forum

www.aulro.com

There a few Tassie members on there who could help out with lots of tracks to do or avoid if you are on your own.

This is one top location. Best of luck.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #11968815th Jan 2007 11:17 am
TDMP

thanks guys.

My plan so far - day 1 - wineries / breweries around Tamar Valley, Days 2/3 Arthur River - Temma, days 4-9 to be planned "on the fly".

Simon, how did you find the Montezuma Falls trek - I am told that this is a pretty hard track? As I will have SWMBO and the tin lids, I dont want to tackle anythink "too" hard. Also, can you estimate the travel time from Temma to Strahan?

I keep some notes of my trip for future reference...
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #12060117th Jan 2007 4:41 am
simon_arch1

Montezuma Falls... hard - for a Territory - yes (which is what we came across on our way in!) but even the Territory was coping - just getting a bit of a pounding underneath. It's a pretty damp track, with some rutted sections, and much it follows an old railway line so you go through some cuttings etc, and some pretty bumpy sections.

I have my wife and young kids on most of my trips - this is a fairly easy track really. And the Falls are well worthwhile.

Temma to Strahan - (and Strahan is a great place to stay - but do make sure that you do the Trail harbour track - it is a wonderful trip, great views) - hmmm - according to travelmate/smartrip:

- http://www.nowwhereroute.com/travelmate/Sm...SessionId=

- it's 200km and 2.5 hours. I'd allow longer though, but less than 4 hours.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #12060217th Jan 2007 5:02 am
simon_arch1

Montezuma Falls... hard - for a Territory - yes (which is what we came across on our way in!) but even the Territory was coping - just getting a bit of a pounding underneath. It's a pretty damp track, with some rutted sections, and much it follows an old railway line so you go through some cuttings etc, and some pretty bumpy sections.

I have my wife and young kids on most of my trips - this is a fairly easy track really. And the Falls are well worthwhile.

Temma to Strahan - (and Strahan is a great place to stay - but do make sure that you do the Trail harbour track - it is a wonderful trip, great views) - hmmm - according to travelmate/smartrip:

- http://www.nowwhereroute.com/travelmate/Sm...SessionId=

- it's 200km and 2.5 hours. I'd allow longer though, but less than 4 hours.

cheers,

Simon
Post #12060317th Jan 2007 5:03 am
TDMP

thanks Simon (for both posts).

thanks also for that link - much better than whereis.com.au for directions, which tried to direct me to Temma via Smithton (337Ks!!).
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #12060417th Jan 2007 5:09 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Having lived (and grown up) in Tassie from 1976 to 1990 I can adda few suggestions too.
Cradle mountain and Dove lake are great spots and easy for families (either in Chalets, expensive, or the camping ground, cheap)
There is a great little 4wd trip South of Queenstown along the old railway line with views across to Sara island in Port Macquarie (if memory serves). Ask at tourist info in Queenstown.
Depending on how adventurous (and off the beaten track you want) there is also a very rugged 4wd track, old hydro electric commission access road (thru locked gate but key freely available from NPWS) , to where they were going to build the Franklin above Gordon dam in the 1970s. Superb views and a great walk down the old haulage way (VERY steep Shocked ) to the Franklin river and views of Hawkins' Scar (named after my father) of where they were going to put the dam. Probably better to have another vehicle along as when I went in 1999 I was only the 25th car since they closed the road in 1976 Shocked and even then I made my passengers get out and walk through some sections!! Had a 80 series Landcruiser then.
Further South, before you get to Lake St.Clair, you can stop by the road and use a flying fox (maybe disused by now) or a suspension bridge across the Franklin river, it is the start of the walk to Frenchman's Cap.
Mt Field National park is also very pretty (skiing fields in Winter) but great walks in Summer and nice and easy especially to Russell Falls.
South of Hobart there is the Ida Bay railway (Old steam train) Oh! and from Queenstown to Strahan there is the superb Apt railway that has been redone through superb rainforest). Also Hastings caves and walks in the Hartz mountains.
east coast has wineglass bay and a stay at Swansea.
Lots more but must go and do some work.
 regards
Peter

Post #12060517th Jan 2007 5:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >