Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

First issue today / Total loss of engine power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
First issue today / Total loss of engine power

at 2600 km, we got the first error today. My wife started the car (waited for the bling first as I have asked her to always do) and got a "suspension fault" message. My car is manufactured at 16th August 2005.

She drove home with that message on. After the car was standing for 1 hour, in the next startup the error was cleared and no more messages. Also no messages when I have tried is later today.
We have clearn and dry weather today, -27 C degrees only..

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #3816819th Jan 2006 6:52 pm
arsi

Finland 2005 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Total loss of engine power / First issue today

Since the SW of my car updated two weeks ago I have not had a single fault. Today my hope that the SW cured the faults turned upside down.

I was driving back home on a motorway, I had already 140km behind me at about 100km/h speed, when engine stopped and all possible fault messages emerged. I was able to fire up the engine but there was no power. I needed to rev up to 3000 until the car moved a bit. Engine stopped constantly.

Luckily I was only 5km from home and I was able to drive it to home.
I noticed a heavy smoke coming under the hood but since it was already dark I could not see where it was coming from. Did the turbo blew up?

I wonder whether temperature has something to do with this. It was -24C.

Anyway I need to make an appointment with my dealer first thing tomorrow.

Post #3817119th Jan 2006 7:01 pm
Yello

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This must be a bad day for Discos in Finland Sad

Today happened somethig unacceptable. Driving home 110 km/h on the left lane of the motorway (yes we have right-hand traffic here Smile) when suddenly I hear the ominous "BLING" sound. Then the dear Disco presents me all the beautiful lights it has in it's instrument cluster and more text than Dostoyevski's "War and Peace". Transmission, suspension and engine failure!!! At least. And the engine stalls right then and there!!!!

Fortunately the traffic was light and I was able to pull over safely. But it was abit of a scare. And the thought of my three year old son in the back seat didn't help...

Well, it started again, though suspension rose slowly. No more incidents on he way home. But I am going to have a few words with the local dealer tomorrow.

And the temp was only -21C...
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Auto
Oh, and the other 4WD: FourX with a Recaro seat Smile 

Post #3817719th Jan 2006 7:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Maybe merge these threads? A definite common factor seems to be air temp. I wonder how our Russian friends got on with their Disco's today? Mind you having seen the news reporting -30, I'll bet they all stayed in bed Wink

Post #3818119th Jan 2006 8:02 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Merged....
 The End  
Post #3818519th Jan 2006 8:47 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

Ooh, this is about to make me nervous!!! Shocked

I'm supposed to pick up my D3 next week and if this cold weather here in Finland is going to continue, should I delay the delivery until weather is warming up? Does not sound a good idea since this car is designed to be driven also in arctic circle too, I think...

Please post replys from dealer/service when you have received it. I'm very keen to hear any further information about this issue!

Post #3819019th Jan 2006 9:25 pm
Yello

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

BTW ArcFro, where did you buy your Disco from?

Hmm.. English correspondece with Finns. Well, I guess too many Brit and US cars in my history Smile
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Auto
Oh, and the other 4WD: FourX with a Recaro seat Smile 

Post #3819419th Jan 2006 9:38 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

From Lohja. Best sales service X far as I have experienced it!

Only thing what kept me so long away from D3 is the reliability issues. I thought that if I'm going to buy Base version, I would be prevented from most of the issues and the other possible faults I just would be patiente.

But... the idea being in car with stalled engine and error messages - with my family inside D3 and outside temperature being -20 C something...

It is not that kind of thrill that I'm looking for...

Post #3819719th Jan 2006 9:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Guys, shoot me down in flames if you want, but is this sudden glut of total failures a little coincidental with the onset of extreme cold? Is their any chance that the diesel fuel freezing has caused your problems?

I know us Brits are famous the world over for being un-prepared for a snow flurry, and the whole country grinds to a halt at the merest hint of a frosty night, and much is made of your ability to carry on as normal in the severest winter conditions.

But is their any chance that the fuel froze? I don't know how the fuel supply works in Finland, the garages must have to supply different fuel for extreme cold, and then switch back when it warms up.

Post #3820119th Jan 2006 10:11 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

There's diesel and there's diesel, but you have a very valid point Gareth.

You go to the pump, and fill up, but do you know what you are buying? Summer, intermediate or winter diesel? You'd never know, frankly.

Winter diesel in very cold countries contains additives, often more kerosene, to lower the cloud and pour points of the fuel.

The general winter specification is to reduce the pour point = the point at which the fuel gels. This would typically be -25 C. As you will have noticed, it is a tad chilly in the northern Baltic region.

Whilst the air temperature would need to be well below -25C for the pour point to impact fuel in the tank (unless parked, unheated for a period of time), I suspect that the pour point may be being reached as a result of chilling in some part of the fuel filtration system.

All the warning lights are the symptom of the engine just stopping.

How's that for a theory?

Post #3821119th Jan 2006 11:10 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds good and plausible.

Imagine the chaos if good old Blighty had to supply different grades of fuel for our weather! we can't even get salt on the roads when snow is forecast a week ahead!

Post #3821219th Jan 2006 11:14 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

We have winter grade diesel in the UK too............it is just that you'd never know it.

Post #3821419th Jan 2006 11:25 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Maybe that could go some way to explaining the sudden increase in consumption we all noticed earlier this winter. Maybe the winter derv is not as efficient as summer. The FBH certainly must make a difference, but it does not use more than a pint an hour I think I read somewhere.

Post #3821619th Jan 2006 11:37 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The pipe that runs across the front of the radiator wrapped in it's own mini rad (someone please step in with the correct terminolgy here) is a fuel cooler apparently (I will check) so if it's cold enough combined with the good old wind chill factor I suspect fuel passing through here could easily drop down below -25°C. Perhaps a minature blanket is required for the pipe Shocked
 The End  
Post #3821919th Jan 2006 11:42 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

'winter' fuel is less efficient, the additives lower the flashpoint. the best way we found in a Serbian winter was to add 10% AVTUR (aviation fuel) and 1% used engine oil. It worked down to -52 Shocked the engine oil was to counteract the drying effect of the AVTUR to prevent rubber, silicone and neoprene seals drying out as well as lubricating the injection pump. Diesel is also hydroscopic, so water flakes at low temperatures are ineviatable and add to the reduction in efficiency

Post #3822019th Jan 2006 11:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >