DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Had my first service today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Had my first service today

15045 miles is almost spot on!. The service cost me £377 including VAT. This was made up as follows:

15000 service to manufacturers spec - £184
L1013938 Gasket £1.01
L1311289 Element oil CO £6.00
LJKR500020 Filter Assy £27.76
Z48827 Screen wash £1.99
ZGBC1139 Brake Cleaner £2.99
ZAC031 Super Lube £2.98
Environmental Charge £10.25
Engine Oil used in service £84.58

Total £321.56
VAT £56.27

Total inc £377.83

The service was carried out by Guy Salmon in Stockport. They were courteous and the coffee was good on arrival. They paid for a taxi from and back to the dealer/my office. A courtesy car was available, but the hassle with insurance made it not worth it.

However it was very difficult to get through to the service dept to check when the car was going to be ready, and to arrange the taxi back to the dealer, I had to phone three times before I got through to service, each time I was promised a return call which never came. In the end I had to hold for 5 minutes to speak to someone, as it was time to leave work.

They seem to have carried out everything in the service OK, the car seems just the same as before, except it is reasonably clean. There is a fair amount of oil spilt around the engine bay. The brakes have obviously been cleaned, but I suspect they have been inspected and cleaned through the alloy wheels, as the wheels appear to have not been removed.

The only two faults I reported were suspension leaning to the left, and the climate control blowing cold air from the face vents unless I turn the temp right up. They have reported that the aircon is normal, and recommended that I turn off the air con pump by press the econ button if it gets too cold. I am not sure about this, I will let the weather warm up a bit more and try it out. It was OK in the winter when the air temp was colder.

They have asked for the vehicle to go back for two days to repair the suspension. They do not know what is wrong with it, but agree with me that it is leaning. They reported to me that Testbook says its OK and within calibration limits. They suspect that the height sensors will have to be changed. They have reserved me a car for the two days. I had a choice of a Freelander or a Defender - so I chose the Defender Razz

The worst thing is that they have not stamped my service book. This is a big oversight on their part, and means I will have to go back tomorrow.

Whilst I was waiting for my car, I noticed that they were extremely busy, with many cars in for service or repair, the phones were constantly ringing and the poor girl on the switchboard seemed to have nobody with any inclination to take any calls off her! It gave me the distinct impression that they were struggling to keep pace with the work they had.

If I could sum up the service in one sentence - "I've been processed" Shocked

Post #458014th Jun 2005 7:22 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gee that's a lot of money for a small service.

It basically amounts to an oil change and a few fluids looking at the parts used. How many labour hours is the service expected to take?

That oil is mightly expensive. I know it uses a lot but mate if you can take your own with the right spec I'd be doing that.

I'm glad my services are included for free in the 3 year warranty period Razz Razz .

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #461115th Jun 2005 3:53 am
BN

England 

Gareth, the service charges must be about £90 per hour, the same as my dealership Crying or Very sad . I don't even charge that much for my guys skills and they are very skilled Evil or Very Mad . The oil is a bit much also, because it makes it about £5 per litre, cannot be right can it? They dont change the gearbox, axles and diff oils, only the sump Confused . Must say, I hate the environment charge for disposal, because it is recycled for profit all along the line and no one looses Evil or Very Mad

Post #461815th Jun 2005 7:40 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I agree with you Brian. I think the article I read recently about the law changing to stop manufacturers forcing us to franchised dealers for servicing to maintain the warranty should help in the long run.

Post #462015th Jun 2005 8:07 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Did you ask them what oil was used? I'd expect a high quality oil for that price
 The End  
Post #462415th Jun 2005 8:14 am
PCH

While I was down at my D3 dealer today getting some errors checked and cleared I mentioned the cost of UK servicing.

They showed me the scheduled servicing costs 12,000km, 24,000km, 36,000km etc...

You might be shocked but we don't get charged anywhere as much as you guys. For the 6 month or 12,000km service it is AUD$233 and for the 24,000km it is AUD$450, for the 36,000km it is AUD$233, for the 48,000km it is around AUD$680. The most expensive service was the 168,000km at AUD$1200.

This includes all parts and labour.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #464916th Jun 2005 6:43 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

But you have to have twice as many services.

In the UK the service interval is every 15,000 miles (24,000Km)
12,000Km = 7,456.8miles
 The End  
Post #465916th Jun 2005 11:09 am
PCH

Maybe so.

Still adds up to be less Laughing

Chris

Post #466116th Jun 2005 12:39 pm
BN

England 

OK guys, sorry about this, along with my Flash and Magic Rubber I will be getting my first service FREE, compliments of Land Rover Very Happy So don't care what it costs. I know, I am the original cheap skate. Wink (How do you write cheap skate?)

Post #466616th Jun 2005 12:53 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

"tight fish" ??

Lucky man you are BN...

-s

Post #467016th Jun 2005 1:05 pm
Pelyma

England 

Who let Yoda on here?????

"Lucky man you are BN "

(don't know how to do the quotes bit)