Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

First Step On The Ladder...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Biggus

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
First Step On The Ladder...

I have just discovered (ahem...) that my new company car list includes the Discovery 3 and my search for information has led me to this site. I would be very grateful for any feedback on the following.
Due to my monthly limit, I can just get in on the ground floor, ie a base 5 door model with a couple of accessories. I have had a test drive in a TDV6 S model and have got to say was mightily impressed. I have always had saloon cars and it took the rest of the weekend to get the smile off my face. But I digress. My query is this, since I was so impressed with the S model, with air suspension etc., am I going to be disappointed with a base model with coil springs? is there an appreciable difference in ride quality? I'm not too worried about losing the toys. Has anybody out there followed the same path that I am about to embark upon and what was the experience like?
Don't want to sound like a wimp but this is quite a big financial penalty over the 'standard' (but very well equipped and economical) saloon car with which I am going to have to live with for the next 3 years and I need to get it right.
Thanks.

B

Post #308232nd Dec 2005 10:13 am
BN

England 

Hi biggus and a warm welcome to the site.

There is a difference in the S and the base 5. I have not driven one, but I did see one and I think after the air suspension you would be mightily disappointed in the ride difference. Less to go wrong of course and very versatile, but if you plan to use it as a car, it will ride very similar to a LR 110.

Take a ride in the 110 and see for yourself.

There are other little points like the aircon, it is air con in the base and not conditioning. Other than that it is 2 seats less and very similar.

Post #308262nd Dec 2005 10:29 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Depends on the details of the deal, and the way your company provides the vehicle.

Are you looking at the base 5seat or base 7 seat? List price for the 7 seat is £2,000 extra- which buys the extra 2 seats, air suspension, Terrain Response.

I don't know if you will buy this with a cash allowance, or whether the company buys or leases the car for your use.

If you / your company buys the car, then there are deals to be had off the list price. I bought my base 7 seat new (inc met paint) for less than the lowest list price of a non-met 5 seat. You might be able to persuade them (or even the lease company) to buy an ex-demo for lower cost. There are possibly lots of options available, depending on the constraints of the offering from your company.

You might also have the 'cash alternative' option, in which case you would be able to pick up a clean ex-demo 7 seat for less than the list 5 seat basic.

I wouldn't buy a base 5 seat new- I reckon that the desirability is much lower and therefore the resale lower (and cost of ownership therefore higher). You could use this to your advantage and get a 2nd hand 5 seater- there are quite a few around and looks like the dealers are struggling to shift them at sticker prices.

As BN says, the ride is different between coil and air suspension. The air ride is marvellous through the bends and off-road. Terrain Response is extremely clever, if a little unneccesary for everyday on road driving.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #308412nd Dec 2005 12:03 pm
Biggus

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the information.

I suspected that there would be a noticeable difference in ride quality, despite what the salesmen are telling me. (is this why I can't seem to be able to arrange a test drive in one??) I really don't like the idea of it riding like a 110, I drove one of those once on a LR off road day, fantastic around Eastnor but wouldn't want to drive it on the motorway, where I do 75% of my mileage. I can upgrade the aircon and include rear parking sensors which means chipping in a sizeable wedge of cash, which in the interests of getting the vehicle I want I am prepared to accept.

Unfortunately the company car scheme is very restrictive, I do not have the facility to negotiate with the leasing company so it looks like I would be stuck with the 5 seater if I go that route. I have also investigated the Freedom scheme but the dealer didn't proffer up any discount and the monthly payments work out higher than just paying Gordon Brown his due. The cash for car allowance is ok but there's not much left of it after tax. Of course I also get lumbered with running costs if I take that route and I had to hang on to what's left of my hair after seeing some of the insurance quotes on the interweb.

Maybe I should hassle some more dealers for a discount, I'm not giving up yet!

Got to say guys that I am very impressed with the information available on this site, I recon I now know more about the D3 than most of the salesmen I have spoken to.

The search goes on....

B

Post #308702nd Dec 2005 2:48 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think comparing it to a 110 might be a bit extreme, a D2 yes, but with lots more power and refinement. Now would be a good time to negotiate as its the end of the quarter, if you can find a dealer that needs to sell just one or two more to hit target, you might be surprised what you get. Good luck
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #308752nd Dec 2005 3:33 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I also thought about purchasing as a part of my company car option but the spec would also have been the base model, my contribution to the inland revenue would also have rocketed: so at the next change I may downsize my company car(currently £26,500 320dsport) and have purchased an SE spec D3 for my wife. I know overall it may cost me more but we have a car/spec that we want, which won't have to suffer the occasional abuse from other staff members. I had to buy a car for the wife/kids anyway and this way we both get rewarded.
me: brownie points, weekend car and knowledge the kids are safe.
her: car and knowledge she can get home when it snows and rains etc.
Plus it should prove rewarding on snowy alpine roads in January.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #308942nd Dec 2005 5:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >