DISCO3.CO.UK > General

First system fault!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
First system fault!!

Guys

Today I noticed that the terrain response knob did not have any symbol lit up. I turned the knob and the dash said. System fault, special programs not available.
Everything else works, suspension height and low range all work.
I did a search but have not found this one.
Only thing I've done is fit the twin LR tow electrics.
Any ideas?

Thanks Paul
 2006 TDV6 S Auto, Buckingham Blue, for the wife and kids.
2013 BMW 535d M sport touring. 

Post #7329926th Jul 2006 6:09 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Paul, did it clear on a restart? towbar electrics shouldn't affect it

Post #7332426th Jul 2006 7:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paul

10forcash

Thanks for the response. I just went out to check and all is back to normal!
Starting to ring warning bells like the BMW 530 we sold to buy the D3. That had an in built ghost who used to play tricks on you. Especially the time I was showing a friend the panoramic sunroof in the winter when it started to snow and I could not shut it all night! Crying or Very sad (That will teach me for showing off)
Please NO!!! Rolling Eyes

Post #7332926th Jul 2006 7:56 pm
10forcash

Paul, do you wait for the 'bong' before you start the engine? sounds mad but it's been proven to prevent most spurious problems (many systems will report transient 'faults' due to the volt drop on cranking that are entirely due to startup routines being interrupted)

Post #7333026th Jul 2006 8:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paul

Hi

Not really sure to be honest. Is the bong for the seatbelt or something?

Thanks Paul

Post #7333626th Jul 2006 8:13 pm
10forcash

no, turn the key.... all warning lights come on.... some go out... 'bong' airbag WL goes out - start engine 8)
the 'bong' seems to indicate 'system check complete' - another undocumented feature!

Post #7334026th Jul 2006 8:25 pm
paul

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure I wait in future, I think that I do most the time but I may well have got carried away a little. A little premature as my wife always says!

Thanks Paul

Post #7334526th Jul 2006 8:41 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I had an error message on day 2 of ownership telling me the front passenger door was not shut properly. No amount of door closing would fix it. Ignition cyling fixed it. I'm pretty sure forgetting to wait for the bong before starting caused it and it's been fine since.

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #7334626th Jul 2006 8:41 pm
SideSlope

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Hi Paul,

Yes, I'd agree with the above. Don't start the engine until you've heard the 'bong'. Before I learned this I had all sorts of error messages including engine and suspension failure along with the ubiquitous parking brake failure and terrain response failure. I even had the speed reduced to 30 mph (from 50) due to an apparent engine failure. Quite scary Shocked A restart mostly sorts it out.

Doesn't impress the missus though. Shocked

S/S
 SideSlope
--------------------------
D4 SDV6 HSE MY 2011 Bourneville
Was D4 TDV6 HSE MY 2011 Bournville
Was D3 TDV6 HSE MY 2006 Tonga Green

Some witty or pithy comment here for the entertainment of fellow forum members 

Post #7334726th Jul 2006 8:51 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

This approach is belt and braces but it bothers me in that it indicates the 'systems' are somewhat flaky to so the least. fundementally the systems should be robust. as long as the preheat has gone out you should be able to start the engine and expect the vehicle to operate normally.

Due to my experiences with low battery issues etc. waiting too long for the system to start up etc. is something i am nervous of doing incase the extra drain on the battery from aircon, lights etc. means the vehicle wont start.

I agree it makes sense as a 'work around' but we should not ignore the issues and give LR feedback of these issues so that they can improve the vehicle software and design for the benefit of all.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7335326th Jul 2006 9:13 pm
Ken

Think of the bong as a pre-flight check (you would fly until complete) at the same time as the bong I get a msg on the lcd screen saying system check OK (or the like). IMHO i dont consider this part flakey its just checking systems. Now the EPB thats flakey Very Happy

Post #7335626th Jul 2006 9:33 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the vehicle should not be started untill after the system check then it should not be possible to start the car.

Im sure it would not take a rocket scientist to resolve such issues as voltage drops on the ECU at startup etc. if LR were made aware of these issues. my point isnt that i dont think it is sound advice, but that we should be giving feedback of such problems so that the relavent design and software changes can be put in place.

as for 'flakey'..... imho a system in which spurious errors and failures can be induced in this way is absolutely flakey. Its not even as if the system is open ala your pc. its a closed system that users cannot add other software to, one that you rely on with your life and that of your family, therefor I would expect it to be robust, and believe we should be supporting LR in ensuring improvements are made with effective feedback. - it should be idiot proof (and I resemble that description Wink )
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7335826th Jul 2006 9:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Even though I had a PB Screecher yesterday (on shut down) I have to admit that I rarely wait for the bong, and I have not seen a startup error for 16 months now.

To put another twist on it, I sometimes get TWO bongs, but no message. This seems to coincide with the oil pressure warning light extinguishing. On a cold start this takes about 3 seconds.

TFC, my journeys are all long, and I am not using the lights. Yesterday I only had the radio, and the aircon running, for 85 motorway miles. What could cause low voltage if thats what caused my PB screech?

The battery always feels strong in the morning, and I have no other indications to back this theory up. It goes to the dealer on Friday for wheel bolts, so I will see if they can do a voltage check.

Post #7336026th Jul 2006 9:59 pm
10forcash

the system is fail safe, therefore the reason for the 'spurious' errors... if there is any doubt, it notifies you - how is that 'flakey'? as with any combination of hardware and software, there is a fixed initialisation routine, without which, in the case of networked modules, communication and therefore integration does not happen... just be thankful its a car not an aircraft - i've been on one that was 'rebooted' at FL300, we reached FL80 before control was regained Shocked

Post #7336126th Jul 2006 10:00 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Good points, but...... the current setup means that the D3 is still driveable if there are faults with the ECUs or a low voltage problem.

This isn't such a big issue in the UK (it'd only stop you getting home from work, for example) but in the Outback or in Africa I'd imagine that owners out there would prefer that their D3s would start no matter if the gearbox software was having a 'moment' and let them drive Smile

I do agree that the software should be more robust, and that there shouldn't be the possibility of low voltage conditions during normal driving. Hopefully LR are taking all this onboard and will refine the software and vehicle systems to fix these niggles. However, currently I do think that it's good that the D3's electronics tell you what's wrong, rather than just not working. As we've all experienced, a 'reboot' often clears problems completely.

Hands up anyone who has ever had a mobile phone crash during normal operation? That's a similar closed system, which can still have daft software faults Wink

Post #7336226th Jul 2006 10:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >