DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

First thoughts after 24 hrs with MY12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
First thoughts after 24 hrs with MY12

Finally picked it up yesterday! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A few first thoughts (after only 85 mostly motorway miles), in no particular order:

Really pleased with the colour (Galway Green) although it does show the dirt (but isn't that a good thing?! Wink )

Power is a huge step up from my old D3. A bit on/off from stand still - as reported by others, but presume that will settle down.

Handles nicely, although the steering felt slightly light and skittish at one point. But too early to really have had a chance to get a feel for it - especially as I'm going to take it relatively easy for a few miles...

Haven't really tested the flappy paddles - but they feel like cheap plastic. No weight or substance to them - which seems a real shame. If they are just levers, there is a good opportunity for someone to produce a far better version. Possibly the only real disappointment so far.

Boot mat and / or hatchbag will be essential - a 'blonde' boot might look nice - but really not at all practical.

Heated steering wheel is great!! Although I'd thought it would be a bit chunkier. It feels slightly thin - but I have quite big hands! A bit thicker would have given it a more 'premium' feel.

Say What You See voice control works really well. Better than expected.

DAB reception has been great - no problems.

Stereo (standard XS/HSE version) is great - but not really tested it much yet.

Central screen is quite busy. Lots of information. Lots going on. I'm quite techy, but it will take a while to get used to - but I haven't opened the manual yet, so that may help!

Storage (or lack of) has been commented on frequently - but even the slot next to the 'selector' knob isn't big enough to take a phone easily.

Overall - loving it! Can wait to do some more miles - which will be happening this evening as we're off to visit friends...
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #8688699th Dec 2011 12:29 pm
pjgraham86

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

congrats on the new toy !

We're into our third month of D4 XS (MY12) ownership and loving it too.

You mention voice control and say-what-you-see working well. I didn't think they were standard on the XS but would come with upgraded nav as an option (which we didnt go for). Have I got that wrong ?

Cheers

P

Post #8689309th Dec 2011 2:45 pm
Calcul@tor

I didn't order premium nav and am not sure if I have it or not! I'll have to go and check...

But, I do seem to have 'Say What You See' - in that I can make phone calls, select navigation destination, select radio stations etc, all by (guided) voice command, controlled by the button under the 'phone switches on the steering wheel. Is that 'non-standard' for an XS?

I do have the heated SW as an extra. But wouldn't have thought it is linked to that?
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #8689399th Dec 2011 3:14 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I have "say what you see" on mine. Apparentky it isn't standard but I dodn't pay extra for it. My nav system seems a compromise between standard and the upgraded as I get automatic changes to the route if there's a problem far enough ahead for the change to be recalculated. Apparently I shouldn't get that as I don't have TMS. I'm wondering whether I have the upgraded syatem with some parts no activated.

Perhaps you guys can experiment and see what's going on.

Bill Wright Thumbs Up
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #8689919th Dec 2011 6:26 pm
GoatOfMendez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Strange, I have the 'say what you see' and sat nav recalculation on my MY12 XS too ... and I sure didn't pay any extra either.

Post #86918010th Dec 2011 12:21 pm
jenzz

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Say what you see works very well unless you have a whining dog in the back. Then it starts getting totally confused and gets very entertaining but useless.

Post #87036413th Dec 2011 2:20 pm
Calcul@tor

Yep - I have the traffic route recalculation too - but didn't help me last night, stuck in traffic on the M5 for nearly 2 hours on my way to eldest's school carol service. Twisted Evil

Worst thing was, two outside lanes closed and coned off. When I finally got there, the only thing in the outside lanes was the Highway Patrol Wombles' vehicle and they we're on the hard shoulder chatting! Grrrr!

Looked like the cars involved had been moved for some time, but they didn't seem in any hurry to move their car and re-open the lanes.

No doubt someone will tell me they had a good reason, but it didn't look like it!
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #87140215th Dec 2011 7:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >