Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

First Time Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bonehead

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
First Time Towing

I bought the Disco about 6 months ago to replace my Hyundai Santa Fe as a towing vehicle for our caravan.

Well we have just got back from our first trip with the caravan and I have to say it makes towing a pleasure! Best money I have ever spent, and it managed about 24 MPG which is better than I expected as it is a big caravan.

Post #8040626th Jun 2011 7:19 pm
bambi

England 

Hi Bonehead glad you like it, out of interest how does the d3 compare to the santa fey, and what year was your santa fey,( my dads looking for another tow car and cant run to a d3,)

Post #8040836th Jun 2011 8:02 pm
Bonehead

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

I had an 05 santa fe. It never gave me any trouble at all I have to say. I bought it at 2 years old and got rid of it just after the 5 year warranty ran out.

I towed our twin axle caravan down to Cornwall with it last year from the midlands. It did OK but only having about 112BHP it just didnt have the grunt that the land rover has. That said it coped.... just. Max towing weight for the Hyundai is (if I recall correctly) is 2 tonnes, our van is quite a bit less than that and I certainly wouldnt go much more than 1600 Kgs. Ours was an auto by the way.

They are a bit more agricultural than the disco, they are noisy too and dont have all the toys. It wasnt really big enough for all the junk we used to chuck in it to go on holiday either.

Some spares can take a while to get for them apparently.

Post #8041766th Jun 2011 11:07 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
my first Disco 3

towing experience was - pulling a HUGE trailer with Horace the Morris Minor on it from Tilbury
all the way to Stranraer in the same day....the Disco is just awesome as a towing vehicle...mastery of control
this the unwritten & unrealised stuff that only comes out when you do this - lesser vehicles just cant do that

the fun part was the return journey from Stranraer to Dumfries the back roads way (look on the map) winding forest roads..I had the chance to work out just what the limits are & get to know all the what ifs....I can only suggest doing this.
The three day round trip made me appreciate the Disco 3 long after I had bought it
...smitten

SWMBO also drove & got the feel of the combined unit - discos are big anyway & the trailer (borrowed) was ridiculously large but so controllable.
You will enjoy the experience.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #8041907th Jun 2011 12:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >