DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

First time towing with D3. Advise pleae
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
First time towing with D3. Advise pleae

I have towed pretty much everything with my Defender, car trailers box trailers, flats the lot, but this will be the first time for any distance with the D3.

I will be heading south through the UK across the water and down France pulling a box trailer, the trailer is a good 8 foot high and will be circa 2 Tonne loaded, so I guess its like pullng a Caravan? I thought I would ask the "Tin Tenters" for advice.

I have a D3 Auto with Cruise,

I would like to return a sensible MPG and I'll be hitting the French motorways at night, I have noticed on short motorway runs with the box trailer that at 60 the gearbox prefers 5th in auto mode, but it will happy hold 60 in 6th at 1500 rpm in command shift

So do you recommend

1.let the auto do what it does, and set a sensible 60 on the cruise

2.let the auto do what it does, but no cruise and regulate throttle to maintain a steady progress

3.hold the higher gear using command shift and use my foot for throttle.

All and any advice will be gratefully recieved

Thanks
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Last edited by beanie on 15th Apr 2012 6:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #92106915th Apr 2012 6:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

No 3 on the flat
No2 when the hills appear

HTH Thumbs Up
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Last edited by Frapp on 16th Apr 2012 7:41 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #92107215th Apr 2012 6:27 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Frapp wrote:
No 2 on the flat
No1 when the hills appear

HTH Thumbs Up

Sorry Frapp I had hit the return key mid post and then edited the post Rolling Eyes

So your numbers will now be reversed thanks for a quick responce Thumbs Up

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Post #92107415th Apr 2012 6:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

best 4x4 ever for towing , i tow 3.5 tone when i have to move my digger around , and its great , i find keep the weight just a little more to the rear of trailer but only just , so load evenly and should be fine Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #92107615th Apr 2012 6:42 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

D3 auto is a dream to tow with.
If speed is limited to 60mph for any reason I find the most economical way is to use auto upto 50 then change up to 6th with sport mode and keep in sport mode until speed drops to below 50 then change across to normal auto, if you are travelling over 60 keep in normal auto, the problem is the car will not change into 6th gear when towing until you reach 60, you can travel 100s of miles in 5th gear and not know it but the car will travel quite happily at 50 or over if you change manually.
Be aware when using auto cruise (I always use it) in sport mode when you hit a hill it will hold onto 6th gear as long as possible then change down and will take of like a rocket, even with a 2 ton trailer on the back, can be a little alarming first time it does it and you are on the brow of a hill following slower traffic.
I have achieved over 30 mpg with a 2 ton caravan on a long run using this method.
Be aware it is now illegal in France to have any device that will detect speed cameras, this includes satnavs that can detect them or warn when approaching one, the Gendarm have devices that can detect if you have one installed in your car, very heavy fines if one is caught and fines have to be paid instantly or your car is impounded.

Good luck and enjoy your trip, wish I was coming with you.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #92110315th Apr 2012 7:50 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have a speed camera app on my iPhone, would this be detectable by the cops or is it just Snooper type devices,.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #92116815th Apr 2012 10:29 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Thanks M3DPO, a very comprehensive responce Thumbs Up

I do have a snooper in the D3 but as I have for the past few years, I will be putting it in the boot at the port, to be honest at night there is unlikely to be many mobile units about and I know wherre the fixed units are on my route to the house Very Happy

DerbyshireDisco I doubt it can be detected by external means, in fact I'm not convinced they can detect a GPS based unit, after all it is only a series of POI's in use as camera sites that warn you when you approach the location, but if they pull you over for any other reason, bulb out etc, then I expect they can ask to check.

As for my snooper, it is a passive detector, but the unit is obvious on the windscreen when in place Rolling Eyes

PM me for details

Post #92117015th Apr 2012 10:52 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Let the auto do its stuff, engine is at most efficient at about 2000 rpm. Lower revs dont necessarily mean lower fuel consumption. Use cruise on the flat and downhill (will change down automatically for engine braking), turn off cruise going up hill as it will try to maintain a speed which might not be achievable.

Post #92118116th Apr 2012 6:58 am
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Gareth, you have hit on the question that was and is puzzling me Thumbs Up

PM me for details

Post #92118416th Apr 2012 7:09 am
al cope

England 

with a 2ton trailer and a D3, the gross train weight is over 3.5tons, so the towing speed limit in France is now approx 56mph Big Cry Big Cry

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #92119716th Apr 2012 7:56 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

i find keeping it in "S" mode in command shift is much better on hills, Auto on flat and use the gears in command shift for roads where you need to constantly slow down for sharp bends, traffic islands etc.

D3 can just be left in Auto all the time and that will be perfectly fine - i just find having a little more control over what gear you are in on the windy roads helps keep progress smooth and a bit quicker accelerating.

how ever you drive it though - it is effortless and will be easier and more comfortable than the defender without a trailer Laughing Thumbs Up

towed my 1900Kgs caravan with my 4.2V8 defender - never again..... couldnt stop Shocked
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #92120016th Apr 2012 8:08 am
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Well a mixture of al the advise was used, I think that command shift to keep at at 2000 RPM up hills was my prefered option at timein auto the D3 dropped to 4th Shocked

They were big hills though Laughing

I have to say though towed really well no problems just used a little fuel Ave 19.2 indicated over 1200 miles Big Cry

but i was between 65 and 70 most of the time, the D3 seems foe efficient in England, i think our hills are less drastic than those between Caen and Southern brittany, but when Diesel is only 1.38 Euro a litre 8)

Must remember to pack some empty drums next time.

Thanks to all who advised, anyone want a 10FT box trailer Rolling with laughter

PM me for details

Post #9291037th May 2012 3:56 pm
aw255

United Kingdom 

I know this thread started about towing, but as it is talking about France and advice is being offered about speed detectors, are you ware there is another new law that has sneaked in in France.
You need to carry a brethalizer (2 as you need a spare if you use 1!)

From the Telegraph
New laws will make the equipment compulsory for all cars on French roads from July 1, with anyone caught without the equipment facing an 11 euro (£9.20) fine.
Around three million Britons a year take their car abroad and the new offence comes into force on July 1 as the holiday season approaches its height.
The kits, costing up to £2 are expected to be available at Channel ports and will enable motorists to see if they are under the French limit of 50 mg per 100ml of blood which is 30 mg lower than in the UK.

Post #9291797th May 2012 6:19 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

Also avaiable on Amazon and in French Supermarkets inthe Booze section Thumbs Up

PM me for details

Post #9291897th May 2012 6:46 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I try to keep the revs at around 2000rpm as that is meant to be the most economical range for the D3, it also keeps the turbo spinning up. I find that keeping it in "sport" is best. Thumbs Up

Post #9293208th May 2012 10:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >