Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

First tow in the D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andym01207

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
First tow in the D3

Had my D3 for about a month having come from a FL1.

After upgrading the caravan, although well within the car/van weight ratio, the FL was starting to feel the weight a bit.

Just been to pickup caravan from storage to give it a post winter clean and polish, was alone on the car and when I pulled onto the dual carriage way and squeezed the throttle it actually made me laugh out load!

What a craft!

Post #92309221st Apr 2012 11:46 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

From the Wiki

Permagrin - The state of rapture you feel driving the D3. Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #92309721st Apr 2012 12:02 pm
loopyles

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No longer the 10 minute overtake, you just know you can get out there and do it safely. It gives you so much confidence in so many ways. It also temps you to.... as the smile gets bigger.

Post #92314821st Apr 2012 4:05 pm
al cope

England 

just wait until some scroat and his mates in his Corsa pulls up alongside at the lights 'cause you've got the tintent on back so therefore are an old codger, and you out drag him away from the lights - thats more than permagrin Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #92315621st Apr 2012 4:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

i had boy racer pass me other day with exaust the size of a bucket and big grin on his smug face, when i got to long steep up hill on dual carrage way i passed him doing 95 it looked like he was only doing 20 Laughing and i had to give little beep on my horn Laughing Laughing
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #92315821st Apr 2012 4:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kevinreeves

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Love it, I'm having my first tow in the morning, bringing the caravan home for its spring clean ready for our first break away in it....I can't wait to see how it pulls compared to my old pug 407sw!
Should be a breeze, Whistle
so I'm told Thumbs Up

Post #92328621st Apr 2012 10:54 pm
Andym01207

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Guarantee it will make you smile...

Post #92333422nd Apr 2012 8:47 am
mzplcg

England 

Yep, I used to get the grin when I was towing with my old D3, although that one was a 4.4 V8. And then I got a TDV8 FFRR........with a remap. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Comes over the top of hills at, ahem, 60-ish Whistle with a TA tintent on the back. Still makes me LOL even now. These engines are sublime.

Something to try if you really wanna laugh. Use command shift, pull away in 2nd (stops all your gear ending up at the back of the tintent) and floor it. Change up at about 2500rpm and repeat until you take 5th gear by which time you'll have wet pants and be on the wrong side of the speed limit. These things just pull like a locomotive. Thumbs Up

Post #92333722nd Apr 2012 9:15 am
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just done my first long distance (2,000mile +) trip to the south of France and back with tintent (Swift Charisma 565, best part of 1500kg loaded I should think) and can confirm the permagrin lasted most of the way! Don't have cruise on my GS Auto and the darn thing just want's to keep accelerating if you let it, hills no issue at all. Will keep a constant 60ish all day long. Made me smile being overtaken by german/dutch vans being towed by VW's and Audi's doing 70+ only to cruise past them on the next slightly hilly bit...bit like the tortoise and the hare...such fun !

Found the outfit extremely stable, no issues at all really, van seems to sit behind and do as it's told really. Overtaking a slow lorry with something large thundering past at 100+ in lane 3 can induce a slight twitch at the back (nothing more) especially if you add some crosswind just for fun, but a little extra power just pulls you clear with bags of confidence.

Automatic box seemed to cope brilliantly too, just left in in D most of the time and let it do its thing. Did use command shift on some steep downhill bits to hold 4th or 5th and keep the speed down.

Best towing vehicle by far !!

Post #92337022nd Apr 2012 11:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >