Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

First Trip with D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BarryC

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
First Trip with D4

Well , back from first trip with D4 and Caravan , having towed the same van with a new D3 , new Defender 110 and now the D4 I can say that the D4 is the king of the Tugs by a mile !

Was amazed the level of incline it would hang on to 8th for , mega !

Stuck behind a row of trucks on the A66 , at the base of a hill road goes from 1 to 2 lanes , big queue behind but I pulled out anyway , passed the trucks pulled in look in mirror , the cars are 200/300 yards behind.

The hitch assist is class , no more marriage threatening arguments !

Wasn't going to bother setting the tow assist up but if it is anywhere near as good at the hitch assist I will be doing that on the next trip !

Was a little concerned about towing with only 500 miles on the clock but I figured it could handle it if I was careful

Post #9291327th May 2012 5:47 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Towed with mine with similar miles on clock and still get a Mr. Green everytime I tow the tin tent, just got back from a weekend away on a very wet soggy field and car performed very well even when the wheels on tin tent and car were sinking into the grass.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9292057th May 2012 8:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Re: First Trip with D4

BarryC wrote:

the cars are 200/300 yards behind

Unfortunately so is all the diesel you have used pulling away. On my only tintent trip so far I averaged 19.2mpg - any idea what you are getting ?
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #9292557th May 2012 11:36 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Depending on where I am towing and what speed Whistle I get anywhere from 19 to 24 either way for size of van and security when towing I am happy with that.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9292678th May 2012 7:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Depending on where I am towing and what speed Whistle I get anywhere from 19 to 24 either way for size of van and security when towing I am happy with that.
D4 camera club 

Post #9292688th May 2012 7:16 am
BarryC

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: First Trip with D4

Hi ,

No sorry , I didn't take note of te mpg on this trip , but it was a pretty short run and across the A66 at that so not really a fair test . I wasn't pushing it that hard to pull away , wouldn't until the engine has got a good few thousand miles in it .

Also I was so impressed with it , mpg was the last thing on my mind , to have the ability to no just maintain speed but pull away if need be on hills is awesome , you don't have too but it is nice to know you can if you need to Thumbs Up

I agree Russell , worth every penny and solid as a rock , very different to the defender in stability and very different to both the d3 (2.7) and the defender for power

Very happy !

D4mation wrote:
BarryC wrote:

the cars are 200/300 yards behind

Unfortunately so is all the diesel you have used pulling away. On my only tintent trip so far I averaged 19.2mpg - any idea what you are getting ?

Post #9292728th May 2012 7:47 am
al cope

England 

dont complain at getting 19mpg, I did a short weekend away of 135miles round trip, and used half a tank of deisel in the D3 (the big half, from full down to half marker), which I recon is giving me about 16mpg - bleedin awful. Great towcar, but wish towing econ was a bit better, as at 16, thats worse than my very old 300TDi ES auto used to give.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #9292888th May 2012 9:22 am
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

we towed our twin axle to spain in 2010 with the D3 and averaged 16.3 mpg with a roofbox on the Disco.

we towed our twin axle to spain in 2011 with the 6 speed D4 and averaged 18.5 mpg with a roofbox on the Disco.

Looking forward to seeing what we get this year with the 8 speed D4 !!

Post #93172115th May 2012 11:42 am
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I got my first trip coming up shortly and will be interested to see what I get (D4 6Speed) but am not too concerned - our last towcar was a Mondeo that was about on the limit for the caravan size and on a few trips down to Cornwall and Devon I've spent the whole holiday worrying how the hell I was going to get off the campsite (normally with mega gradient access road) towing the van. Big Cry
This time although it will probably cost twice as much, I hope I will be able to relax knowing the Disco will get me out of anything (fingers crossed) 8)

Post #93178015th May 2012 2:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >