DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

First Year of Ownership... Thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:
why should this particular dealer treat YOU in this way ...is there something you aren't telling us??

Let's not get too personal on this one eh?

The guy has a fair point and If I had any problems that weren't being dealt with or had shoddy service from what looks to be an incompetent dealer, then I'd be as Censored off as he is.

There comes a point where he's clearly not in love with the brand/car/dealer and for the sake of your sanity or just to get out of the negative situation, you have to make a change.

An XC90 may well be his answer, but for the majority on here it isn't.

ANY vehicle, ANY product, ANY brand will have an example of customers who (for one reason or another) they were not able to satisfy. And believe it or not, it's not always the customers fault. It's not always the brands fault and it's not always the dealerships fault.
But when you get a combination of these, there will be no 'solution' that is acceptable to all parties.
It really feels as though he's done as much as he reasonably can, maybe it should have been earlier, maybe it would have made no difference, who knows.
But faced with a story like that I'd be easily persuaded to change.

For what it's worth, Volvo, mercedes, bmw, audi et al have ALL had similar stories and if you search enough, you will always find bad examples of customer service.

I always find that it isn't the PROBLEMS that turn people away from brands, it the way they DEAL with the problems that has the impact.

Just my two'penneth
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1555329th May 2007 3:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Bodsy wrote:
Quote:
why should this particular dealer treat YOU in this way ...is there something you aren't telling us??

Let's not get too personal on this one eh?

The guy has a fair point and If I had any problems that weren't being dealt with or had shoddy service from what looks to be an incompetent dealer, then I'd be as Censored off as he is.

I'm not getting personal.....the object of my question is does the dealer deal with all of his customers in the same way?.....there are two sides to every story. The immediate assumption is that the dealer has dealt shoddy service...but how do I know if Fozzy hasn't been completely unreasonable in all of this?? Wink

If however the dealer proves to be generally unreliable or incompetant then they should be outed for the benefit of all.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1555449th May 2007 3:24 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

baart wrote:
I wanted to order V8 HSE my2008 this week - but now I have to think it over

The majority of new model-year cars are absolutely fine. Fozzy has obviously had trouble as he has been given a duff model. It happens with all the car brands. We've had outrageous trouble with Citroen, BMW, Seat, Mercedes-Benz... one dealer once almost killed us by leaving a protruding spanner in the engine's rotary.
You could turn to a different brand baart and face exactly the same troubles. You take a change with every car. Why not take it with the best? Don't give up on LR Wink
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #1555869th May 2007 4:55 pm
CY

Fozzy - I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you have a Censored dealer - go do a different one. People on here will be able to tell you where to go depending on your location.

Our Discovery had a never-ending list of sh*te problems which the dealer could not fix. All but the very first problem (a seemingly simple worn brake pad - quick fix) was initiated by the dealer. We wrote a 4-page letter to them which they ignored. We sent it again by e-mail, fax, snail mail and handing it into the dealer. It didn't make a difference.

So we took her to a different garage just a few miles down the road and they not only came out and picked up the car for us but sorted all its problems in a one, before cleaning it inside and out and returning it home for us. It's never stepped a foot out of line since. I know that it sounds awful, especially for you in your context, but you win some you lose some. And if you lose, don't give up hope and it can be resolved.

Just putting in my two pennies worth.

Quote:
Based on my experience - which I hope is an isolated case - you decide if you want to buy from Land Rover. Personally, I'd rather walk then drive anything made by them ever again after the way they have treated me.

I can complely understand that, Fozzy. I know we'd never buy a SEAT again after they tried to kill us. But I know that the other 99% of Discovery 3s you see driving by will be absolutely perfectly gloriously superbly reliably stunningly magnificently fine. Lightening never strikes twice...

CY

Post #1555919th May 2007 5:08 pm
Fozzy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DG wrote:

You're not the only one to have had problems with the D3 ....why should this particular dealer treat YOU in this way ...is there something you aren't telling us??

BTW - I don't take anything on here personal nor do I mean to make such remarks - except to Land Rover!!

I wish there was some underlying reason but I don't know of one. I have the whole history, case notes, diary - everything there is nothing peculiar. The only "unusual" thing is that I bought the car when I lived in London - then a week later moved to the wilds of North Wales (hence why I bought a discovery) when the faults started I took it to my local dealer, so the original dealer has had no other involvement apart from selling it and then getting the car assesed when they took it to their Stoke dealership. I think a major change in personnel at the dealer didn't help with no continuity - but not my problem

I did a bit of research and the offer they have made to me means I would have to pay £12.5K to get a new car. If I sold the car myself and then got an internet deal it would cost me between £8.5K & £10K - so they are hardly being generous either!! I wouldn't complain so much if Land Rover appeared to give the slightest concern to the problem - instead they have washed there hands of it saying "I am a valued customer and they can't afford to be complacent in a competitive market.... but speak to your dealer its his problem" They just don't give a damn.

Any advice on how to proceed would be very welcome!! The Only thinga I've "discovered" with my discovery is a load of problems and numerous garages. Big Cry

Some other options being negotiated - but I'm resigned to the fact it isn't going to be replaced - do I chance a repair again and hope the cutting out can be rectified? get a like for like second hand (if they can find one)? I don't know.

Post #1556269th May 2007 6:21 pm
baart

Poland 2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackLR4

DG & CY
i'm buying LR3 - decision made
still a bit nervous
got a RAV4 now - 3 years and nothing happened - apart from 'every 15k km' service
vw bora - 3 years and nothing
vw passat 1 year - nothing

.... but i got a 1993 xj6 daimler - and every 2 months there's something to be fixed Very Happy
 | Il boit pour oublier qu'il vit
Il dort pour oublier qu'il boit
C'est un bien triste
Un bien triste sort |

Post #1556489th May 2007 6:44 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fozzy, DO you have an alternative dealer to take a full list of your problems to & see if they can resolve. It may be that they go the extra mile as they'll want to keep your future business.
Worth a try perhaps?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1556719th May 2007 7:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Fozzy, I'd recommend you go find yourself another dealer matey, it might be a bit of a trek for you but I know of a rather good one near the Welsh border that should hopefully be able to sort it out. Hope you can get it all resolved Neutral
 The End  
Post #1556749th May 2007 7:26 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

This is a very sad story and certainly furiously frustrating for Fozzy or anyone else who might suffer similar problems. Whatever is at the root of this trouble, it does seem, from Fozzy's reports, that LR's service is lacking something.

However, what I really wanted to say here, to reassure those who might be worried by the tale, is that my D3, 2006 model, runs and runs without missing a heart beat. Now it has done 57000 kms in 14 months. I am very happy with the car.

I only hope too that Fozzy finds some solution and satisfaction in the end.

Eric

Post #1557019th May 2007 8:23 pm
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Fozzy,
WOW.... I would have thouht that when you told them about the engine cutting out whilst driving (especially on a number of occassions) that that would qualify as an UNSAFE vehicle (NO power assisted brakes or steering) and they would have to lend you a car for the duration until it was found and fixed (Do/did you have someone else with you on these occassions to corroberate your story?).
I think AndrewS was trying to say that some of your other problems could have been fixed by yourself with a little help from forum members (Although not all issues). I DO understand what you are saying by a 'culture amongst LR owners' WHY should the customer HAVE to take in the TSB or DTC to the service personnel (isnt that what they gett paid for?) BUT at the same time it MAY help them find the fault quicker (therefore less time off the road) and cheaper (assuming not a warranty issue).
There should be some OFFICIAL LR means of reporting poor/bad service by dealers and when enough reports from various customers come in they will investigate the dealer with threat os losing dealership if not up to scratch. As a doctor I come across a number of cases where NO-ONE reports a suspicious injury to a child or older person and shrugs it off as a 'one off' or 'could have been an accident' BUT if all the other people who also see a 'one off' incident report it then it builds a clear picture and pattern of what is going on and shows that there IS abuse happening. The old saying of " Everybody, thought Somebody would do it but Nobody did".
Antway, stick to your guns and if it needs be taking the dealer/LR to court will cost them more in money and publicity than a replacement car!!
 regards
Peter

Post #15578910th May 2007 12:50 am
CY

baart wrote:
DG & CY
i'm buying LR3 - decision made
still a bit nervous
got a RAV4 now - 3 years and nothing happened - apart from 'every 15k km' service
vw bora - 3 years and nothing
vw passat 1 year - nothing

.... but i got a 1993 xj6 daimler - and every 2 months there's something to be fixed Very Happy

Good choice - keep us posted Thumbs Up

VWs and Toyotas may never go wrong but what are they when compared to a Discovery? Technologically inferior. You're about to be unleashed upon a world of engineering excellence Thumbs Up Very Happy G'd luck!

Post #15585310th May 2007 10:34 am
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I feel your pain and frustration, Fozzy, in this day and age, we expect every car to be reliable. If you are not entertaining the option of selling the car, and the dealer won't give you a new one, then it looks like you'll have to repair it (...at a reputable dealer). The most serious fault I see is the engine cutting out on you and judging by the similiar faults reported by other members, it looks like you have an earthing fault. Try one of reputable dealers suggested by members on this forum and I am sure they will have it fixed.

Sadly, it looks like you will have to outlay a bit more money.
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #15701714th May 2007 3:33 am
Fozzy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Last Resort....

Well, A final letter went out today to the MD of Land Rover telling him what I thought of his company, his products and his dealers. I expect It'll get treated with the same contempt that all my other communication has received.

Failing that, I'll drive around with notices in the window warning everyone to steer clear of me so I don't crash into them.

Oh, by the way, the latest problem is I have to climb in through the back doors as the front ones don't open and I parked up with the engine running, got out and when I got back in (through back doors) the suspension went into "extended" mode Big Cry

I knew I was putting on a few pounds.... mind you nothing surprises me any more.

Post #15984321st May 2007 4:50 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ive had my D3 about 10 months and loads of problems.... :

1) Seal leaking on transfer box - goes into dealers on wednesday.
2) Wheels scratched
3) slight bramble rash on both sides
4) wheel arches scuffed
5) rear bumper scuffed
6) and no matter how many times I wash it, it still gets dirty Confused Confused
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #15984421st May 2007 4:56 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DiscoDunc wrote:
...3) slight bramble rash on both sides

Don't you just hate that. Shocked
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #15984621st May 2007 5:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >