Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

First Year of Ownership... Thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Fozzy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
First Year of Ownership... Thoughts

I'm now into my second year of Discovery III ownership, and here's a few thoughts:

1. Couldn't pick up the car as on the day I was due to collect a "suspension fault" appeared and eventually picked it up 5 days late.

2. After 6 weeks, it went in for:
Scraping noise when reversing
Bluetooth handsfree didn't work
Trim fallen of seat
Bonnet wouldn't shut
Sat Nav screen would go so dark it was not readable
Central locking wouldn't lock petrol cap
Suspension fault again.
When flicking through tracks on a CD, the whole Audio system would lock up until the car restarted.

3. After about 2 months - both washers failed. Land Rover Assistance took car to local dealer.

4. 3 months - engine mysteriously "cut out" - handling a 3 ton car with no brakes & no power steering is not funny. After 15 minutes, the car started as if nothing had happened!!. Recurrence of suspension fault numerous times. Rear wiper wouldn't "sweep" across window.

5. 1st Service - all 4 tyres worn at 15K miles (2 illegal). This was due to incorrect tracking & all 4 tyres replaced under warranty. (requiring second visit)

Recess around trailer electrics rusting
Rear wiper (no fault found!)
Reported engine cut-out - no fault found
Drivers door speaker rattling - requiring new door panel
Suspension fault - updated software.

6. 6 months - Suspension fault again. Grinding noise when steering on full lock. Front Park assist packs up. Sat Nav screen dark beyond readability - back in for warrantly work. Bonnet won't shut again. Rear wiper finally packs up altogether.

I put up with the usual suspension faults, Bluetooth packs up again, rust reappearing around trailer electrical sockets... until engine cuts out again - this time on a steep (1 in 4-5) with a 50 foot drop on one side. Nearly caused a serious accident. I finally put my concerns in writing to Land Rover who offer a free service!!. Not satisfied so demand refund/compensation/replacement. That was July - not response since.

This weekend, it cut out again and I nearly rear-ended a Nissan Micra with a baby in the back!!. Car is a death trap. Contacted land rover again - waiting to get a response.

comfort
versatility
space
equipment (on HSE)
off road ability
Auto Gearbox
Quiet engine for a diesel (TDV6)
7 seat flexibility - only car to seat 7 adults comfortably
Xenon headlights

Dislikes:
Build qualilty (not a patch on X5/XC90/Q7/Touareg)
Reliability - I expect better for £40K Mad
Dashboard a mess (Ford influence??) - some backlit, some LCD & satnav TFT screen. Check out the Touareg dash for how to do it properly Wink
Dash/Plastics a bit "plasticy"
MP3 Player doesn't show MP3 info?
Rear Personal Audio controls confusing to use.
Clock in radio display - why not in dash?
More use could be made of Sat Nav screen (Radio, MP3 etc)
Fuel consumption (reading the forums I'm now getting an avg of 28-32 mpg)
Land Rover Customer service
Land Rover service centres
Voice recognition doesn't recognise an East London accent!! Laughing

Would I get another?
If the reliability and build quality could be sorted out - definately. It needs this level of refinement to justify the price. As it stands, unless you really need the offroad abilities I think there are better value cars.... but it is definately the best ride - I test drove all the others before buying the disco.

Just my two penneth!!

Post #9336512th Oct 2006 3:09 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hello Fozzy ...welcome to the site Very Happy

...I must say after reading your observations youv'e been through the mill eh Crying or Very sad

Whats making you stick with the lemon for this long?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9337512th Oct 2006 3:25 pm
Fozzy

Thanks for the Welcome, dickgriff.

I sometimes wonder myself. Confused

I guess I really want to like this car - when its working (according to my diary I've only had 2 weeks ownership without something being wrong with it!) it is superb - I test drove all the other cars in its class, and while some are better built or more refined, they don't ride/drive like the Disco nor are they as versatile. Its my first 4x4 (since moving to the wilds of Wales it's been brilliant through snow, deep water, towing etc) my first Auto & first Diesel. Love the high driving position, love the auto box - diesel engine isn't the rattler I thought it would be - so pleased with all aspects - apart from nearly being killed in it and almost flattening a Micra.

I've also been prepared to give Land Rover the benefit of the doubt, but I've never failed to be dissapointed with the level of service I've received - the potentially lethal engine cut-out is the final straw. I'm in dialog with the Dealer/Landrover to get this sorted. Will post the outcome if I ever hear anything.

Rgds..

Post #9338312th Oct 2006 3:41 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

good luck keep us uptodate with progress. Wink
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #9338412th Oct 2006 3:43 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Shame...without the glitches that seem to affect some, they are such a fantastic vehicle.

Are you prepared to name your dealer ?... and have you considered changing to another?...the vehicle is under warranty afterall.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9338812th Oct 2006 4:03 pm
Fozzy

>> Shame...without the glitches that seem to affect some, they are such a fantastic vehicle.

My Sentiments exactly - which is why I have persevered for this long. I suppose a lot of what I will do will depend on Land Rovers' response or offer - I was informed that because of the mileage of the car (24K at the time of contacting LR in June) I would have to put some money towards a new car. It's now October - 4 months later - and the mileage is now 34K so god knows what I'd be expected to pay now - not that I'm prepared to pay anyhing after everything I've had to put up with. I'll accept a refund or new car given the choice - I don't want this one any longer as I believe sooner or later its going to cut out and I won't be able to control it. I believe I'm taking my life in my hands driving it now, but I have no other car.

The dealer I bought it from only sold me the car - I subsequently moved from the South-East to North Wales and two different dealers have attempted to resolve all the problems, so its not really fair to name the selling dealer - I might name the others if I get wound up enough!! Surprised

Forgot to add... the list of outstanding problems as of today is:
Engine Cut-out
Suspension Faults
"System Fault" message in dash
Bluetooth hands free doesn't work
Audio system locks up completely if flicking through CD/MP3 tracks
Grinding when on full lock
Driver and front Passenger door panels rattle
Rust around trailer electric sockets again
disturbing "clunk" after engine has started.
Fumes coming from engine compartment
Can't remove "removeable" tow bar

Another dislike - those awful cupholders in the centre console!! Whoever designed them wants shooting!!

Post #9340212th Oct 2006 4:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Has the vehicle received the enhancement programme within the last few months do you know?
Post #9340612th Oct 2006 4:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

A few of those outstanding issues are well known and documented on here.

Fumes under the bonnet, could be cold enough in Wales to trigger the pre-heater. There is a TSB to stop the fumes entering the cabin.

Audio lockup, there is an update, but are you using good quality mp3 cd's? I have one disk that will lock mine up, all others are fine.

Grinding on full lock, grease the lock stops- its easy.

Clunk after engine start, they all make a loud click, I think its some exhaust valve and is normal.

Can't remove towbar! WD40 and hammer got mine out!

The rest sounds like enhancement should sort it out.

The only thing you have not mentioned is loose right hand tail gate strut, have you checked it?

I agree that the rust is not good, mine is also rusty in the tow panel. I spray with Waxoil when it shows, but not good for £40k car.

I hope these faults get corrected on future builds, as I will definilty get another one.

Post #9342112th Oct 2006 5:23 pm
Fozzy

Thanks all for the feedback...

It hasn't had the latest upgrade - the garage "didn't have time and could I bring it back?" Unfortunatley, I'm not exactly spoilt for a choice of dealers where I live, so taking it somewhere else isn't as easy as it sounds.

All the other stuff - if they are known faults, why are they never fixed or explained when I report them!!?

A lot of the stuff is relatively minor and annoying rather than dangerous. The engine cut out - when reported - I was told "wouldn't happen with a manual - must be something on the automatic..." or "its probably in the electronics...".

The last car I bought was an import from a car supermarket and cost 10K. in 4 years I had no problems at all - yet this one has had more problems that all the cars I've ever owned put together!!

Lets hope they can get sorted and restore my battered confidence!!

Post #9343212th Oct 2006 7:20 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sounds like your dealer has a few questions to answer. Do you want to say who that is?? I use Stratstone in Newport & have used Cardiff and generally they have sorted things out with this and my previous Discos & Defenders. Perhaps worth a trip down to the big smoke to get your car sorted? You could even try and arrange a demo car for a week so you can drop it off one Saturday & pick it up next? Just a thought!

Post #9343312th Oct 2006 7:37 pm
Fozzy

Update....

After much too-ing & fro-ing between dealer & Landrover - the car has been recovered for "assesment" - Guess what they gave me as a replacement??? A Touraeg!!

Post #10084211th Nov 2006 3:19 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I was sorry to read about those problems. Just to let folks know it isn't always bad, I can report that I've had my D3 now for about 8 months, have done around 24000 miles and haven't had any running problems at all. The only trouble so far was a bad contact in the trailer electrics which was sorted under warranty at a normal service. I hope having written this won't change my luck!

Eric

Post #10274817th Nov 2006 11:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is 2 years, and 60000 miles old. Still smiling 8)

I had some early suspension problems - NO errors since 8000 miles.
I had a squeeky seat - replaced seat base frame.
I had a tailgate strut snap off - See the Announcement at the top of the page!
I had a park brake that made nasty noises - just fixed again.
I had the first set of tyres wear out very quickly - current set on 30k and still 50% left.

I have been very fair to my dealer and helped them to solve a lot problems with advise and experience from this site.

Would I still buy the car with hindsight? of course I would.

Will I buy another, yes, in 2009. My car will have to run to 120k miles.

Post #10275417th Nov 2006 11:36 pm
Fozzy

Update

Well, after much arguments, letters, e-mails, solicitors being involved, I finally got a response from the dealers - buy a new car from us.

Went in for two weeks to dealer for assesment - came out no fault found. three weeks later the car cuts out AGAIN and I wasn't even in the car!!!.

This is the final straw, so I demand some kind of action. LR don't want to know as the car has 39K miles on it. Dealer doesn't want to know for the same reason so I get legal advise. Initial reaponse from dealer is that I've acted unreasonably in not letting them establish the problem - even though they had it for 2 weeks. Won't replace - and sat they have offered a replacement which I declined - the truth actually is they offered to sell me a car at cost - leaving me to find about £8K!!!! - hardly a replacement.

Car still cuts out.
Can't open front passenger door
car drifts to the left and worse under braking (always has done)
Still got fumes entering cabin (when cold enough)
Terrible knocking from under footell & through steering column.

After at least 12 vists back to dealer, 3 vehicle recoveries, 1 roadside repair and still driving around in a car that has been in 3 minor accidents - 2 narrowly avoided a serious accident and still in the same condition to cause another, I'm not sure what leaves a worse taste in my mouth:

1. buying such a S%&T car
2. paying £40K the above S%&T car
3. Complete indifference and lack of concern from Landrover & there dealers

Would I buy another? NEVER! wish I'd bought an XC90 First and last exparience of LR and their products and they can keep 'em. Worst decision I ever made.

Post #1551848th May 2007 4:59 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Fozzy I noticed that you last posted on this subject Nov last year. Why have you left it so long Question
If you'd have asked advice on here, you would have been given the fault codes and you could have walked into your dealer and thrown it at them. Most of us have had similar problems and had them all fixed under warranty.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1551988th May 2007 5:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >