Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

How to fit new wishbone (lower arm) and track rod end
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Digger67

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Well today was the day that I decided to replace the front lower wishbones, track rods and track rod ends. After getting all the bits together, and reading through kav1187's excellent 'how to' I set to the task with the assistance of my youngest to fetch and carry and shove when required.
We did the nearside first and after about 5 hours, the new wishbone had been fitted. We then started the off side, and had this one completed in just over two hours!!!! Thumbs Up

All of my bolts came undone freely and only the two rear bolts were heavily rusted.

So now just got to get the car in for a 4 wheel alignment to extinguish all the lights on the dash.

Thanks again to kav1187 for a very comprehensive 'how to guide'

Paul
 2005 D3 TDV6 S - EGR's blanked, RRS front lower wishbones, detangoed
2013 Swift Conqueror
Previous Landies:
2001 Disco 2 TD5 GS
1997 Disco V8 3.9
1990 Disco V8 3.5 with LPG conversion
1970 Series 2A SWB
1974 Series 3 LWB 

Post #149236824th Jun 2015 8:37 pm
treeiup

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks kav1187, did mine today. Wasn't too much of a struggle although the rear bolts took some shifting.
I remembered I had a large hammer drill I picked up in aldi for about £30. I was going to drill some wine bottle size holes in to some wood a year or two ago and it was a godsend pushing the bolts through with the chisel attachment.

Booked for alignment on friday, it's not too bad surprisingly but the camber is definitely off drivers side.
 my06 D3  
Post #14989458th Jul 2015 9:01 pm
fino

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Had to cut both lower arms off when replacing, one on the rear and the other one was both front and back bolts. Went through 5 blades with the Bosch 18V reciprocating saw.

Copper greased those Censored for next time.....

Post #150278916th Jul 2015 10:51 pm
Nimrod

United Kingdom 

An absolute crackin how to... I think I was lucky as my bolts flew out and I'd say I had the job done in 2-3 hrs both sides.. Replaced pads and now needs tracked, it lights up like a Xmas tree

So as I do, once the job is finished and I ask a dealer how much to do the job... I was quoted £1220. To do the above..

Parts Cost me £300.. I'm pretty pleased with my savings today...

Post #158219723rd Dec 2015 11:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
epninety

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Fitted a pair of AF arms last weekend using this guide. Would have been an easy days work if it hadn't been so bleedin' cold! So ended up being one short day and a morning.
I was lucky, only one bolt was siezed in the bush, and that gave in to the attentions of a lump hammer in the end, so didn't need the air saw.
I got the alignment wildly wrong and it drove like an absolute pig until I got the alignment done.

One thing maybe worthy of mention, a 24mm deep socket made things much easier.

Post #159822823rd Jan 2016 7:28 pm
Disco Devil

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Did my bushes this week, had both arms out in about 90 mins then pressed out the old bushes and ball joint and replaced with Lemforder items from Steve at AF. . . What a nice man.

Put the adjusters back exactly where they were and tracking/alignment are completely haywire. Car is actually undriveable.

Nearest hunter alignment can't get me in for over a week ..... Relegated to driving the van Banging Head

It's not the nightmare of a job it's made out to be. If I'd bought AF's replacement arms I'm confident it could have been done in under 4 hrs start to finish.

I will say unless you have access to a decent size press and cups/dies then don't do what I did! Go with AF's replacement arms

If I ever do this job again I'll be buying complete arms just for the ease of doing it. Plus the welding on theirs is prob much better than the drunk monkey welding on the original LR items!

Post #16516838th May 2016 12:42 am
trainmanone

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

with regards to wheel geometry set up try kwic fit ,I know wouldn't let them change a pram tyre,but most of them have the hunter system now and are trained by hunter had mine done last sept for £45 Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

not a problem all driving straight and even ware .

that was at the stockport branch on heaton lane

Post #16517018th May 2016 7:03 am
Kimi

I was working on this today on my MY12 D4. After some fighting I was able to get the bolts off from RH side. Then moving to LH side I realized that there is a cat converter right behind the rear bolt. There's no more than an inch clearance between bolt end and cat converter. I don't seem to be able to fit any socket+wrench combination to work on the nut. Due long bolt end I would need to use long socket but then I run out of room to use any wrench. I could cut the old bolt to remove it, but then I don't see a way to use any wrench to tighten the nut when installing.

Hasn't this been an issue to anyone else? I may see similar situation in original instructions Step 16 / Rear, but not sure about clearances there.

Post #18325021st Jul 2017 5:23 pm
Jaggz

United Kingdom 

Was thinking of taking advantage of Advance factors 10percent discount and ordering arms for mine, no specific symptoms at the moment but it's 83k on originals is it worth doing all 4 arms or do some of them seem to last indefinitely, I know front lowers seem to go more often.

Not convinced I want to do it myself do any of site sponsors cover Leeds ?

Post #18325651st Jul 2017 8:55 pm
Caravanchris2

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Excellent

Excellent info now I know how to tackle my disco 4 with clunking lower arms upon hard braking
Thanks for making this so clear

Post #186174425th Sep 2017 9:49 pm
mek

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

My car is now in for the wheel alignment after I changed the lower arms at a couple of days ago.

One thing that I found impossible to do - and if there is a solution this may benefit the next person - is there a way to torque the rear bolt on the LHS to 275NM?

On my car the nut which could be tightened (without eccentric effects) conflicted with what I think must be the catalytic converter. Plus there's a bracket in the way for the transfer box under tray!

I found that I could get a deep socket on it (just) but could not get a ratchet end or torque wrench end on it because of the shoulder around the ratchet. I tried using a universal joint with the torque wrench (a first) but that doesn't work! It didn't for me anyway.

Is there a nice solution or is it a case of tighten using best efforts and tell the garage doing the wheel alignment that this needs torquing up (which is what I have done)? On reflection maybe you just need a 24mm socket whose depth is in between the large (deep) and small (shallow) 24mm half inch sockets in my Jumbo Halfords Aadvanced socket set?

Post #188974913th Dec 2017 9:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >