Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Fitting a Ham radio (what fun!?)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
couchsachraga

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Fitting a Ham radio (what fun!?)

Actually, now that I know how all the trim bits fit, it's not a bad job. I installed two antenna's on the bull bar using NMO mounts (I did have to drill the factory 5/8 holes a bit bigger (to 3/4), but it came out well. Not sure I'd use a hole saw to do it again though.

After finding the super secret grommet (which is easy to access from inside the vehicle once you know where it's hiding behind the insulation), I ran the power cable and two RG58 coax's through the grommet, and in to the channel with wire loom that runs on the driver sill, then up under the seat to where I mounted the radio. I made sure to ground the chassis back to a body stud near the left kick panel (there are quite a few there)

I mounted the detachable face plate in the "coin tray" under the powerpoint / ash tray/ cigarrette lighter - first I pulled up the top of the center console (putting gear shift in PARK, squeezing the "trigger" and pulling up to remove the gear shift on an auto really is amazingly easy compared to prizing off bits here and there), and removed the "front" of the coin tray so I could rivet some 1" wide aluminum stock (covered in black tape) to it, then cut the rubber liner to fit around it (just slits really). I ran the control wire through the center console- there is a "hole" through to the underside (under the center console cubby) right next to the parking break release cable - if you stick a wire down in there you can just reach it by opening the middle (or rear if you're a 5 seater) center cup holders and sticking your hand waaaay up there). From there I ran the cable out and under the seat - this is the only wire you can see, and only a few inches of it at that.

Lots of zip ties, a bit of electrical tape, and some lost skin, but all in all it went well. Little tips and tricks I learned:
1) The aforementioned release of the (automatic) gear shift knob
2) The center cubby liner has two screws holding it down- you have to life the gear shift area console up to be able to see / access them
3) Said gear area cover comes up amazingly easy as well (just a good "pop") once you remove the two (or in my case one?) screws holding it down - one in front of the parking brake lever, and the other in the same spot on the opposite side (remove the tray and under-plate, and it's right there)

I'm really glad I have a full set of Torx screwdrivers and sockets. I've never used them as much as this weekend....

Next project will be fitting the Traxide Tronics dual battery setup, with power to the rear (fridge:) ), once it comes in. I suspect it will go a bit easier, if for no other reason than I know where most of the trim pieces are held down now...and by what.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints, and for the amount of information posted up here...it made things a little easier 8)

Post #31331523rd Jun 2008 1:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >