Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

fitting multi height towbar,2008 model onwards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
fitting multi height towbar,2008 model onwards

Please help, no bolts in chassy on 2008 models, dealer say bolts come with fitment kit. Kit £40,00 all bolts used in towbar, more than what i need. Any one know size of bolt to fit support arms to chassi?

Post #63994722nd Apr 2010 10:22 pm
al cope

England 

I think they are 12 or 13mm, but its easy to do, just get underneath and measure the hole in the chassis rail, then get some bolts long enough to go through. You'll also need a section of pipe (I used conduit) that will fit though the keyhole slot, thats the right length to sit inside the chassis rail so that when you tighten the bolts you dont crush the chassis rail in.

does that make sense?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #64005923rd Apr 2010 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Here is a pic of one

Click image to enlarge

Total length when top nut is tightened =145mm (from very bottom of thin end to top of nut)
Diameter of wide part=26mm
length of wide part=88mm

I,ve got 2 Whistle

Post #64007423rd Apr 2010 9:55 am
D4JWW

Thumbs Up Thanks chaps, it make sence to use pype to prevent the crushing the chassi. Thumbs Up

Post #64007723rd Apr 2010 10:07 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

So these bolts don't come with the fitting kit for the towbar then D4JWW? Or have you bought second hand towbar so have no fitting kit?

Post #64007823rd Apr 2010 10:10 am
D4JWW

Yes I bought the Tbar from fellow member, My local Dealer (Stratstone) showed me the bolts that’s part of the new Tbar kit on there PC, when they looked at the car they said its included but that’s when they fit it. So without ordering the kit I could not be sure. I better check with Yeovil LR and do more research for alternative options, did you see the pm I sent:?:

Post #64012323rd Apr 2010 11:23 am
al cope

England 

I took my towbar off my old D3, so didnt have these bolts. The fitting is different on 08.5 onwards, so I just brought some long bolts, and made the sleeve for in the chassis rails from some 20mm conduit.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #64012523rd Apr 2010 11:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

al cope wrote:
I took my towbar off my old D3, so didnt have these bolts. The fitting is different on 08.5 onwards, so I just brought some long bolts, and made the sleeve for in the chassis rails from some 20mm conduit.

Al

Al are you posative mate? First iv'e heard of this. D4JWW message sent but if al's right my bolts are no good to you.

Post #64015123rd Apr 2010 12:05 pm
D4JWW

Confused Confused Al , whats do mean by different fit, size of bolt or.... Question Your plan sounds simple enough Neutral just would have liked to use the bolts LR supplied with earlier cars.

Post #64018523rd Apr 2010 12:43 pm
al cope

England 

The bolts used for fixing the side arms are the same ones that hold the harmonic dampers onto the chassis on Pre 8.5 model years. Its a different set up on later model, so all you get is a hole in the chassis rail (keyhole slotted on one side). You can buy the full bolt kit, but its 40odd quid for some bolts. Its just as easy to go to a local enginners suppliers and buy some long bolts, with nylock nuts, and use these, along with a piece of pipe, cut to fit inside the chassis rail to stop this being "crushed" when you tighten the bolts.

hope this makes sense (it will if/when you look under the car)

DD - your bolts should still be OK, as they (in effect) will drop into the chassis, tighten on one side, and bolt the side rails in from the other.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #64022723rd Apr 2010 1:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >