Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fitting new glow plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gilford84

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Fitting new glow plugs

Can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to remove and fit new glow plugs on the tdv6 please. Also any special tools required, etc. Thanks

Post #57103828th Dec 2009 11:01 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hard, as in not easy - why do you need to do this? they're not a common failure Confused

Post #57108129th Dec 2009 12:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgrr

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I too have been wondering whether or not to replace mine: the glow plug light seems to be taking a lot longer to go out during the pre-start process. I realise it takes a bit longer in the cold, but it does seem to be a good second or two slower than last winter. Thereafter, the initial engine idling from cold can be very lumpy. Any thoughts? She's coming up to 4 yrs old / 50k mls.
 DGRR  
Post #57108829th Dec 2009 12:39 am
10forcash

Last year was a mild winter, personally, if it's below 0 deg. C. i'll cycle the ignition twice to boost the pre-heat of the air in the cylinders - also bear in mind that pre-heat only assists those cylinders coming onto compression, those coming onto exhaust will gain no benefit, if a couple of seconds is critical, leave the house earlier! Thumbs Up
i'd expect a minimum life of 8 - 10 years for the glow plugs

Post #57109729th Dec 2009 12:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgrr

Thanks for the quick response, TFC. It's just that I had exactly this situation 5 yrs ago with my previous car (Merc E320 cdi): the M-B dealer reckoned one (or more) of the glow plugs had failed, thereby causing the light to stay on a little longer than usual. On their advice, I had them replaced & it seemed to cure the problem. I'm therefore thinking the same might apply again. In your (considerably more expert Bow down Thumbs Up ) view, do you think its unlikely that a plug has failed & that I should just be a bit more patient for the light to go out?
 DGRR  
Post #57110029th Dec 2009 1:04 am
10forcash

The test is to measure the current draw at 0 deg. C. this will confirm how many glow plugs are operative, bear in mind that the engine management system is far advanced from the Merc E320 which relied upon a TDR to 'calculate' the required pre-heat time, most if not all diesels will have a rough idle for a few seconds at temperatures below freezing point dependent upon the quality of the fuel

Post #57110429th Dec 2009 1:11 am
dgrr

I'm in for new discs, pads & tyres next week, so i'll get them to carry out a current test, too. Thanks again Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 DGRR  
Post #57111229th Dec 2009 1:29 am
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

The TDV6 has a pre and a post heat strategy for glow plug operation (i.e. post heat = they stay on after the engine has started under certain operating conditions) If one or more has failed then this can cause the cylinders with the failed plugs to run poorly after initial start up, so this is a possible a cause of your initial rough idle.
Be very careful when removing them -I have seen many cases where they snapped off, sometimes the head has needed to be removed to deal with the problem (depends how seized in they are). I recall a bulletin or SSM that specifically told dealers not to use more than 20nm when attempting to remove the plugs, (but offered no advice what to do if they did not yield at this torque!).
Good luck.

Post #57118529th Dec 2009 12:40 pm
gilford84

what the problem is that the car won't starts in the morning, when its cold. It will just turn over and over and won't fire up. We have to wait a while before the car decides to fire up.

Post #57139429th Dec 2009 9:49 pm
gilford84

10forcash wrote:
Hard, as in not easy - why do you need to do this? they're not a common failure Confused
why is it hard? anything to look out for?  
Post #57139629th Dec 2009 9:50 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Injectors out, injector rails of with some of the pipes, rocker covers off just to get to the injectors.
As 10forcash said its a big job and i agree with him, its not normally a common problem.

Pete

Post #57143429th Dec 2009 10:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >