Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Fitting new speakers to Base Stereo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Fitting new speakers to Base Stereo

Started this post as I will update as I go along.
I have decided to install Blaupunkt Velocity 2 way components to the front doors of the D3. It came down to a personal choice of the sound of the speakers.
When I removed the door trim I found the speakers are one piece plastic as part of the cowling. The existing speaker will need to be cut from the adaptor plate/cowling and another adaptor plate made to fot beween door frame and cowling. Then the cowling will need to be cut down to fit.
There did not apear to be a cross-over with the woofer or tweeter, or in the door. Is the coss-over part of the head unit or hiding somewhere else.
I could just fit to existing wiring but the speakers do come with an adjuctable cross-over.
I'm having trouble uploading photos, but will post as soon as I've sorted it. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #990466th Nov 2006 12:54 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

is the speaker not held in by the clips around the adapter plate?

clip at the top

It has a locking tab on it ....

There is proberly some sort of sealant aswell to stop vibration
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #990486th Nov 2006 1:09 am
caverD3

wiggs
If you remove the adaptor plate it is all one unit with the speaker. At least it is in mine remember mine is the base model unit.
The photos will show it better. I'll have another go uploading.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #990496th Nov 2006 1:22 am
caverD3

Done it! Very Happy
speaker unit

The clips only hols the plasic ring for the foam seal.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #990506th Nov 2006 1:36 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

There is one post I saw before in another forum about changing the rear subwoofer for RRS and I think it's identical to the D3, Not sure if the base model has the rear subwoofer.

This might help you if you are going to upgrade the subwoofers..
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12091
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #991926th Nov 2006 3:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

That is a great link for those with the hi stereo specs but mine is a base model and so has no sub at the back. I only want abetter sound not thumping bass.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #993036th Nov 2006 9:40 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Original speakers

Hi CaverD3,
Good to see you are making progress in upgrading your speakers!

I am *still* waiting on delivery of my D3 - was supposed to be late October/early November - now end of November. At least I found out it is a MY07.

Can you please measure the depth of the original drivers? Thanks!

I wonder if there is another label under the "Land Rover" sticker on the backs?

They look like 6.5" Audax un-treated paper cone drivers - with polymer frames and foam surrounds.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #993697th Nov 2006 5:07 am
caverD3

the depth of the original driver is zero inside the steel door panel as the entire speaker is in the cowling. The depth of possibale fit behind the panel is 65mm max before it hits the glass. it would be better to allow extra for some movement of glass.
I am going to make the adaptor plate out of 15mm MDF which gives me another 25mm but you could make the plate thicker to allow for a deeper driver.
The speaker has a really small magnet looks even smaller than the Audax I found on the web.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #993787th Nov 2006 7:33 am
caverD3

Looks like I am on my own on this one (first to try)
Speakers ordered.
I am wondering if the tweter has a cross-over at all. Is there anyway to test this out.
I would like to know before I install the speakers.
A wiring diagram would be good. I'll ask on new post for one.

Just installed some sockets for the aux in.

Plasic welded a socket behind the side of the sat nav hole.

This left a small hole.

Into which the plug can be inserted.

However I had to shave the plug so I did not have to make a large hole.

I took a cable from here to the rear via the centre console

Routing under the cubby box was areal pain, I drilled hole into the trim panel behind the panel where the rear seats air comes in, and after routing through from the front pulled the cable up with awire coat hanger.

New socket to rear panel

Then I added two pwer outlets by plastic welding them to to the bottom of the holder.

Plastic welding is amazing! Very Happy (used an old 35mm film canister and soldering iron)
Ernest Hemmingway

Last edited by caverD3 on 11th Nov 2006 7:54 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1003469th Nov 2006 11:30 pm
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Nice job CaverD3, I'm thinking to upgrade my speakers also in my premium stereo 8)
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #10075711th Nov 2006 6:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Guy

United Kingdom 

caverD3 wrote:
Looks like I am on my own on this one (first to try)
Speakers ordered.
I am wondering if the tweter has a cross-over at all. Is there anyway to test this out.

I assume you mean the factory-fit tweeter that is already installed in the car? That must have some sort of crossover, otherwise it will go bang when you turn the volume up. Are you just replacing the door speakers with new drivers? I'd be a little cautious of doing this without knowing the spec and parameters of the original drivers.

Post #10078111th Nov 2006 10:35 am
caverD3

I've looked at the wiring diagram and the are definately no crossovers. The tweeter may have an internal filter but even the Hi line system has no crossover Shocked The main speaker out from the amp goes to the tweeter and midrange speakers but the bass speaker has a sparate line from the amp.
What are your concerns about the parameters of the OEM speakers. If the existing head unit cannot run the new speakers I may need to put in an amp but it has to be better than the existing ones.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #10100411th Nov 2006 10:27 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Lack of crossovers would suggest that the speakers are already Bi-amp'ed or have a frequency divider built into the IHU or amp, bear in mind that the IHU & amplifiers have their own software so it may be all done internally....

Post #10100711th Nov 2006 10:34 pm
caverD3

The Base system cannot be done internally in the head unit as the wiring comes out of the head unit and is split at a soldered joint one going to the tweeter one going to the woofer (or as the wiring diagram puts it, 'mid range speaker') unless the tweeter has a built in filter it would be getting the straight signal from the head unit.
Hi line uses the same wiring from the amp to the tweeter and mid range in the door but has another out from the amp for the bass speaker which fits where the Base system has a mid range speaker.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #10105512th Nov 2006 3:40 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Tweeters

Hi CaverD3,
I suspect the "crossover" is probably a capacitor which is glued to the back of the tweeter.

One suggestion when you are replacing the mid-bass speakers: install a Dynamat extreme door kit. That will improve the bass and reduce rattles.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #10106912th Nov 2006 5:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >