DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fitting an Onboard Air Compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Air Compressor

nwoods wrote:
I looked through your gallery, I can't figure out where in your truck that compressor and tank actually reside?

As bkehoe so rightly said, we in Ireland are blessed with an Irish Hybrid D3 called a "commercial" it's bascially missing all seats except the front. This gives us great scope for fitting goodies. This picture gives you a good idea.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #9770430th Oct 2006 11:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dbregman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Nwoods - how did you fix the Viair to the battery compartment. Did you just use self-tapping screws? Is there anything underneth I need to worry about hitting?

Thanks,
David

Post #1170946th Jan 2007 9:20 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Here is a long overdue response!

Yes, I just used self tapping screws that were about 1/4" longer than the thickness of the baseplate for the compressor.

Post #15213325th Apr 2007 11:42 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

nwoods wrote:
Most of my friends have CO2 PowerTanks, so they fill their tires in seconds. The added time to retrive the compressor from my storage boxes in the rear, and re-stow it when complete (tie down straps, etc...), was just simply taking too long, and my friends often grew impatient.

so why not follow suite and hav CO2 powertanks as opposed the compressor. (whats the pro's and con's of this)
Embarassed Embarassed sorry for missing the point
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #3965504th Jan 2009 8:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nwoods

Wow here is a thread that I haven't looked at in a while. in truth, I haven't been on this D3 forum for quite some time.

My original comment was in response to the embedded compressor solution verses a portable compressor. Having the compressor built into the truck made things much simpler and faster.

In response to your question, a 10 pound CO2 PowerTank costs over $500, and requires storage space in the back of the truck. I love how fast they are, and I love the fact you can run power tools off of them, but cost and hassle of filling the tanks, plus the initial cost of the gear itself, and the fact that it can run out at inopportune times, just made it a deal breaker for me on the LR3 with its smallish tires. With the onboard air setup, I can fill all four in about 15 minutes, which is not too bad.

I now have another vehicle with 35" tires and similar onboard air setup, but the tires are so much larger that the PowerTank is seems more justified and its something I'm considering again. I just wish they were not so darned expensive!

Post #3965544th Jan 2009 8:55 pm
jkp

Scotland 

I'm glad this was brought back up. After seeing JMC's neat storage of this unit, where is it available in the UK. All searches give links to US sites Confused

Post #3965644th Jan 2009 9:05 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Another alternative is taking a line off the D3s air tank. Very Happy

I know Nwoods doesn't have air susp. Wink
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3966735th Jan 2009 2:08 am
nwoods

caverD3 wrote:
Another alternative is taking a line off the D3s air tank. Very Happy

I wouldn't recommend that. The volume of air in the shocks is a lot less than in your tires. You could definitely overwork your built in compressor if filling your tires.

Post #3966775th Jan 2009 3:02 am
caverD3

The air isn't in the shocks. Confused
It is in the air tank at 150 psi +.
Air compressor has an overheat cut-out.
Using often may reduce the life of the compressor but for occasional and emergency use is not an issue.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3966805th Jan 2009 3:35 am
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

If you look in my gallery I have fitted the new style ARB compressor and a yellow top battery to the aux battery compartment and have run a outlet to the front and back of the car so that the hose will reach everywhere including the caravan tyres. Bit tricky to fit but by modifing the mounting bracket you can use the threaded holes allready in the car. The ARB compressor only takes about 2 to 3mins a tyre to pump back up.
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #3966845th Jan 2009 5:11 am
nwoods

caverD3 wrote:
The air isn't in the shocks. Confused
It is in the air tank at 150 psi +.

Good point. Still an expensive, wearable part though.

Post #3966885th Jan 2009 6:29 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

would it be feasible to have a small'ish tank connected to the compressor you've just installed so that while running on soft stuff you have lower pressure in tyres and then when going back on hard stuff inflate them at the same speed as your mates who are using the power CO2 tanks (having the tank as a removable item) or does cost out weigh the benefits?
I'm guessing at having tank in boot(US trunk) and pipe connection from compressor to boot pre / permanent installed to aid keeping tank filled.
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #3967005th Jan 2009 7:17 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Im on the hunt for a compressor ...so any suggestions would be great ..fitted one not portable

Budget around £100 ish ( can wangle that on works expenses then Thumbs Up ) ..dont think they be happy spending much more on one .

Main use would be for clearing out blocked pipelines , cleaning out mesh filters etc .

Size not that important ..but idealy want to fit it behind one of the boot panels
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #42185014th Feb 2009 4:40 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

wiggs - with or without an air receiver?

Post #42187414th Feb 2009 5:20 pm
caverD3

Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #42210214th Feb 2009 10:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >