Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Fitting voice control ( long post )
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Fitting voice control ( long post )

After looking into how easy it would be to fit the D3 voice control system , I decided to order up a couple of bits from Nick and give it a go .

You will have to enable some bits ..lucky for me i have a little box that can do that very simply....so here goes.

First get yourself a voice control button. Unfortunatly it comes with the cruise control switches awell..but i plan on offering my old one up for sale.

Next unclip the wiring that comes with it ( mine is already in the steering wheel )

Get a small sharp knife and cut out the hole for the switch to fit in . You can download the LR bluetooth fitting instructions from the LR owners website. On the last page is a template for you to cut out and use to mark the hole .

Once cut out , pop the new switch in place and screw in the 2 torx screws from behind the steering wheel cowling.(dont forget to plug in the white multiplug in the back of the new switch Thumbs Up )

Before you push the airbag back in its place , make sure the wires are clipped in there little holders ( top of pic )

Push the airbag home and admire your handy work ..or not as the case may be

Next get your self a mic ...Nick again ...this is not listed as D3 part , but a RRsport one .

Now time to pull your car apart . Grab the front (nearest the windscreen ) of the overhead lighting consul

And pull down

You can leave it hanging there ..or disconnect a couple of multiplugs . Put your hand in the hole in the roof and feel to towards the steering wheel . Were my finger is you will find a 2 pin multiplug semi stuck there ...pull it back towards the opening . You can always have a peek in there with a torch first if you want to make sure

Heres the end of what you want

The black part on the back of the interior light unclips

And pops out to reveal 2 holders for mic's

I already have a mic in there from my LR aftermarket bluetooth kit . Im leaving it there at the moment until i fit the LR PTI kit (after that it wont be needed )

Clip the black plastic cover back in ..this holds the mic (s) in position .

Connect up the 2 pin plug you found before to the mic and push the light housing back up in the roof lining . Put the end furthest away from the windscreen in first ..then the windscreen end last ,

Next i connected up the faultmate to the car and went into the car configuration file . In the Infotainment section i enabled the mic and the voice control

Shut all the doors and locked the car up for a couple of mins why it went to sleep . Unlocked the car , turned on ignition and on the sat nav screen in settings there is this

Pressing the voice settings brings up this

Ok ..i cant obviously show you the voice part ..but the lcd screen on the dash mimics the voice , so here are a few screen shots in no particular order .

Ok everything works , with the exception of phone names. This is because i dont have the factory fitted bluetooth . I can still store and voice activate them on the red / green phone buttons .As i said this is only due to my car not having factory fitted bluetooth module ...but hopefully thats next.

One favour if i could ask ..any one with voice control could you check this screen

And tell me does the "voice add name " icon grey out while driving . When you stop at the lights it goes dark again. Im presuming that its just to stop you storing names while your driving ( save on road noise ?) ..hope fully someone can tell me if theres does it too . Thanks

Sorry if its long and boaring , but as you know i like my toys and just thought i would share the info on what is a reasonably cheep mod .

Big thanks to Nick for sorting out the parts Bow down

Que the faultmate hater's Whistle
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #4904973rd Jul 2009 1:05 am
dannog

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Nice write up.

I have it on my SE already but for the life of me it can't understand my voice. I find it a lot easier to simply press the button!

It seams to work ok for the kids and my wife so maybe it telling me something Laughing Laughing

Post #4905053rd Jul 2009 3:45 am
White Disco

Australia 

I find if I put on a posh pommy voice it seems to understand me.
BUT then the poms reckon to put on an ocker voice it works for them.

If you can talk like Harry Kewell or Tim Cahil it should work. Whistle
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #4905063rd Jul 2009 3:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dannog

White Disco wrote:
If you can talk like Harry Kewell or Tim Cahil it should work. Whistle

Like I said, its a lot easier just pressing the buttons Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #4905083rd Jul 2009 4:11 am
White Disco

Australia 

Thumbs Up
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #4905093rd Jul 2009 4:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dannog

Re: Fitting voice control ( long post )

wiggs wrote:

And tell me does the "voice add name " icon grey out while driving . When you stop at the lights it goes dark again. Im presuming that its just to stop you storing names while your driving ( save on road noise ?) ..hope fully someone can tell me if theres does it too . Thanks

Checked mine out this afternoon and it does dim out as soon as you start moving. I think it more to do with safety than road noise - just like adding a new destination into the Nav.

Post #4907463rd Jul 2009 2:18 pm
Ken

SMS enabled is it ? Whistle

Post #4907603rd Jul 2009 2:42 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Wiggs,

Good job as always - love to read about your mods.

My D3 had the voice control already and I have the aftermarket BT set, so basically the same setup you have now. And I can store names too!

I did this once or twice by pressing and holding the green phone button, then it will ask to store the name, then the number. Something strange though: the voice control understands me in dutch (reads out in dutch too) but the phone voice control is in English.

regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #4908273rd Jul 2009 5:41 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nice write up chap.

The first software AND hardware update / Mod

How on earth did you find that hidden mic connector Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Seriously though, you cant easily see it from the hole, although i did not try a torch, you really have to stick your hand in and feel for it. It is covered in foam and stuck down. This means that when you grab it and pull it back, it feels like you are tearing something. But its only the glue that they used to secure the unused connector and wiring loop in place. The main loom stays stuck down. I actually forgot to free mine up before i refitted my head lining so i had to do mine through the hole and know what it feels like.

If it helps anyone, here's a pic of it from the other side
Click image to enlarge

You can see that the wiring loop folds just at the edge of the hole.

Interestingly, the wiring was present on my Low line D3 which sort of implies that it can be done even on a Low line vehicle, although i could not try this myself as by that time my vehicle was already mid transformation.

Post #4908473rd Jul 2009 6:20 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice work Wiggs, and a great mod too. I can confirm that the add voice icon does grey out as soon as you start to move.

Lee

Post #4910184th Jul 2009 7:39 am
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Order to Nick on its way! Very Happy Thanks Wiggs, much easier than first thought then - no need for PTI to get it working.

Andy
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #4910254th Jul 2009 8:07 am
wiggs

lee157 wrote:
Nice work Wiggs, and a great mod too. I can confirm that the add voice icon does grey out as soon as you start to move.

Lee

Thanks for the conformation Lee ...much appriciated Thumbs Up
Post #4910484th Jul 2009 9:23 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

Wiggs

I have the PTI bits. I can get the phone to dial a number that I read out but it won't control the Satnav,radio etc. Should this all work as well or do I need a software upgrade from your magic box?
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #4911294th Jul 2009 2:52 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

methley wrote:
Order to Nick on its way! Very Happy Thanks Wiggs, much easier than first thought then - no need for PTI to get it working.

Andy

No as i have factory fitted voice control but no PTI or bluetooth ect

Lee

Post #4911424th Jul 2009 3:24 pm
wiggs

MARKW wrote:
Wiggs

I have the PTI bits. I can get the phone to dial a number that I read out but it won't control the Satnav,radio etc. Should this all work as well or do I need a software upgrade from your magic box?

Do you have voice control ? if yes ... i can enable the voice commands so that you control the radio / cd / navigation / notepad etc . Standard PTI with voice control only operates the phone Sad
Post #4911624th Jul 2009 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >