Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

How to fix a Sunroof Leak!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 20 <123 ... 111213 ... 181920>
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thought I’d add my two-pennyworth to this thread.

When I brought my 55 plate D3 5yrs ago I ignored all the warnings about clearing the sunroof drains, and about a year later I got a shower from the interior light moulding.
I cleaned out the drains, opened up the ends of the stupid rubber valve things a bit, and have flushed them through gently with a big syringe full of soapy water once a year ever since. Up to now this has kept the interior of the car dry.

A few weeks ago whilst looking for the famous 3 wire splice I noticed that underneath the carpet in the passenger footwell was a little damp. I tested the front drains by blowing through them with a short length of tube. As they were clear I put the dampness down to the bottle of water my son had spilt in the car the week before and had assured me “There was only a drop in it”.

Yesterday I had the car in my garage doing other things, so lifted the carpet to check and found it absolutely swimming.

I unclipped the front inner wheelarch, pulled it back and stuck my hand up to the outlet only to find it wasn’t there, at which point I realised I was in for fun removing the fusebox behind the lower glovebox to get to the end of the tube on the inside of the car. Taking the fusebox out is fiddly enough, but it’s a doddle compared to getting it back in place afterwards.

The images I took were unfortunately awful, if anyone has some perhaps they could post them to help others understand how the latch that holds the Orange and Green connectors to the back of the fusebox works, as you have to remove them blind.
All I can describe here is to push the levers up from Horizontal to near vertical to remove them.

The moulded rubber elbow was freely swinging inside the car, and so was directing the drained water from that corner of the sunroof down inside the passenger footwell.

The end of the elbow was a gooey sticky mess, the rubber had actually disintegrated/degenerated to the point there was nothing left to stop it falling back through the hole. I’m wondering if this is somehow the result of trimming it back.

Being Sunday afternoon there was no way I could replace the rubber elbow with a new one, so as it still has the large flange on it that should rest up against the inside of the body I pushed it through the hole from the outside so the body was on the other side of the flange and reattached the pipe.

I then spent the best part of an hour working blind with my too big left hand in too small a space trying to get the orange connector latched back into the rear of the fusebox. The Green ones on the back and bottom plus larger front connectors were easy comparatively.

Of course I’m going to have to do it all again when I buy a new elbow, and will probably even buy two and do the drivers side at the same time.

Anyone know the part No. for the Elbow/Stupid Valve thing?

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #15584969th Nov 2015 11:01 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Big Cry Big Cry

I think that's where I am going to be with mine, similar story - did all the stuff and have been nice and dry inside for the last 4 years.

I'm probably going to take the front seats out this time - I suspect it will then be an easier task with a bit more room to maneuver. Whistle

Post #15585129th Nov 2015 11:29 am
timv8

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Nasher,

The part number for the elbow is EEH500100, but it is the whole drain tube and a new design of elbow (I remember seeing a picture of the old and new type side by side on a thread). The elbow is not available separately. They are approx. £14.40 each.

I just fitted the new elbow to the existing drain tube. If you do this you need to cut the drain tube a little bit shorter - it's obvious when you get the new elbow. The new elbow appeared to be glued on to the drain tube - I used a cable tie to ensure it stays on once it was in position.

Maplecottage,

I managed by just putting the seat right back, but it does partly depend on how flexible you are. Don't forget that once you have disconnected the main fuse box electric seats can't be adjusted!
 Tim  
Post #158050220th Dec 2015 10:45 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I hope I never have to do mine Big Cry

Post #158050320th Dec 2015 10:52 am
Alrawas

Oman 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR3

Thank you very much gareth

Post #158071520th Dec 2015 9:41 pm
Kanksbloke

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well, I finally solved the problem of water leaking into the passenger footwell. Many thanks to all those who have posted on their experiences. The only problem that remains is plugs on the rear of the cjb. I have spent ages with my hand stuck up behind the thing over the last few days. I have managed to get the plugs back in the sockets but just can not seem to get my hand up high enough to get any purchase on the little levers to pull them back down.

My wife valiantly tried for 5 minutes this evening until the ironing and tomorrow's sandwiches couldn't wait any longer but promised she would have another go at the weekend. I don't want to wait that long!

Short of a hand transplant the only possibility I can see is to remove the vent fan and get at them from the side. Has anyone resorted to this?

Post #159201812th Jan 2016 11:18 pm
Kanksbloke

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I got there in the end without taking anything else apart Very Happy What did make a difference though was attaching a cable tie to each of the little levers on the rear plugs. It made it far easier to pull them down. Also check that there is only a about 4 or 5mm of the red part of the plugs showing before you start to pull down on the levers. Once the levers a down the plug is fully home and you can't see any of the red.

Post #159406216th Jan 2016 1:33 pm
GB4567

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
More sunroof woes

A bit over dramatic but my gullies have just been cleared and supposedly the tubes have been unblocked (monday this week) one way valves removed and the carpet has just finished drying out. So this morning the carpet is a bit damp, checked the near side A pillar and there its damp below the A/B cover. opened the door and there are splashes of water down the end of the dash and on the door rail.

No doubt about where its coming in but with the work done on monday does that indicate another problem? if so can someone guide me as to where to look.

thanks

Graham

Post #159744522nd Jan 2016 9:59 am
Sloss

Scotland 

The 'supposedly' seems to be the clue there.... Whistle

Did you do the work or contract it out. Looks like it needs done again - properly Thumbs Up
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #159747622nd Jan 2016 10:49 am
fozziediscovery3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

This was the issue I found with the front drivers side drain tube.

The down tube had come out of the elbow so after removing the accelerator pedal to gain more access I pushed the two back together.

I will keep an eye on it.

Fozzie.

Post #162449813th Mar 2016 1:15 pm
oldstout

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Brilliant!

Just the advice I needed Thumbs Up

Excellent thread and pics (why do people say tread?) Laughing

I'm off to The Range for some curtain track thisaffa Bow down

Thanks everyone Wink

Post #16352933rd Apr 2016 12:17 pm
Heather

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes thank you everyone for so much info... have been reading it out to husband and have already been out in the rain to turn my Disco around so it is facing uphill... sure enough in this direction I heard a gurgling sound as water presumably ran away down the rear drains.... we get the water cascade down the inside of the windscreen when it's parked facing downhill. I only got this car 5 weeks ago and the dealer has said he will get the leak fixed ... but it helps to know about the future possibly elbow connections failing and how to keep drains cleared in future. .....If all else fails ...

SALE STILL ON ! 15% OFF DISCO 3 UMBRELLA ...

I can buy one and use it in the car when it's raining.

Post #164137215th Apr 2016 10:49 pm
Heather

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just had a go at getting the air intake grille off..... couldnt do it... im not feeble but it was bending alarmingly so thought id leave it to the mechanic the dealer uses (ex trinity landrover guy) just out of interest i thought id have a look at the drain holes around the sunroof.... but guess what... like someone else on here... press button... nothing happens... roof does not open.... will leave for garage guy now...and its raining again anyway..

Post #164159716th Apr 2016 6:00 pm
avalp

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Like others I have water in the passenger footwell. Like Nasher I unclipped the wheel arch and felt around for the outlet it appears to have come away from the hole. If I poke my finger through the hold I can feel the end of the outlet so presumably it is dangling inside the car behind the CJB. The end of the outlet does look like it is blocked.

Having read the forums it looks like I will need to gain access to the hose by removing the CJB under the glove compartment.

Before doing so I have a couple of questions if someone can advise me:

1. Should I remove one of the battery terminals before starting?
2. Looking at the workshop manual it suggests connecting a T4 before the removal and initiating the CJB after installing it again. I don't have a T4 so can I remove and reinstall the same CJB safely without one?
3. Do I need a special tool to remove the glove compartment hinge pin or a pair of angled pliers will do the trick?
4. Is this the correct part number for a replacement elbow: EEH500100 or is there a newer part I should be using instead.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Regards
Al

Post #165466214th May 2016 3:57 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I'd recommend disconnecting the battery if you are reaching behind the Passenger fusebox. You can undo the fusebox nuts and drop it down enough to stretch behind and feel for the elbow and pipe.

I'm considering putting a D4 vent in the passenger side panel to ensure the drain stays clear! Rolling Eyes
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #165467514th May 2016 4:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 20 <123 ... 111213 ... 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >